English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 17 June 2015, 16:35   #421
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Gimbal, thank you for this topic, it is a great help...
That made me read back to the earliest suggestions, I've actually managed to completely forget about a couple that I was harping about myself back in the day.

Its good to have an online backup memory.
Old 18 June 2015, 12:58   #422
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

We could use this topic to collect them on and another one where we would work out alphabetic list of good games with links to steam store and/or discussion here.

Completed Braid, still not sure should I even try to solve game in 45 minutes to get last achievement.
Old 18 June 2015, 13:44   #423
Neil79

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/0...t-to-miss.html

Check this out
Old 18 June 2015, 17:15   #424
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
We could use this topic to collect them on and another one where we would work out alphabetic list of good games with links to steam store and/or discussion here.
Yeah!

OR as an alternative we just don't do that and spend those months of fruitless labor playing games
Old 18 June 2015, 17:31   #425
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah!

OR as an alternative we just don't do that and spend those months of fruitless labor playing games
List - not HOL like thing... only real Amiga fans make such extremes...

Simple list of games so that I don't miss something good - that is not fruitless -but cool and helpful....

Back on topic.. if you into somewhat strategy fun game that you can play levels in few minutes... 12 Labours of Hercules is your kind of game. Fun, possible to complete and get all achievements even by casual players...
Old 19 June 2015, 23:01   #426
TCD

Just a comment on Steam's Greenlight quality control: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 July 2015, 13:27   #427
Cpt. Hindsight

Her Story might be worth a look if you liked the FMV games in the nineties and/or experimental indie games. It's by the guy who made Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and it's pretty short (~2hours), but it's also just ~€5.
Surprisingly it's also currently #3 in gog's bestseller list behind TW3 and TW3 Expansion Pass.

https://www.gog.com/game/her_story
http://store.steampowered.com/app/368370/
Old 01 July 2015, 13:53   #428
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Never tried FMV game, and now thinking about it, not so sure why. I guess, games just did not appeal to me and I always preferred pixelated characters...
Old 01 July 2015, 14:15   #429
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Try Mad Dog MacCree or that Star Wars one, they're really good.
Old 01 July 2015, 14:41   #430
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
Her Story might be worth a look if you liked the FMV games in the nineties and/or experimental indie games. It's by the guy who made Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and it's pretty short (~2hours), but it's also just ~€5.
Ouch, 2 hours. That's one game (or I'm guessing: interactive movie) that will suffer big time from the Steam refund system.

@Shoonayhay: probably you're talking about Rebel Assault.
Old 01 July 2015, 14:50   #431
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
@Shoonayhay: probably you're talking about Rebel Assault.
Yeah, that one, especially the 2nd one with much higher res graphics.
Old 01 July 2015, 15:25   #432
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Have both Rebel Assault games (PSX and PC) but don't remember ever playing them.

At the time I got PSX game, I got Wing Commander III or IV and ended up playing that for a while...

Wasn't Mad Dog MacCree on Sega CD as well?? (might try that one as well)
Old 01 July 2015, 18:52   #433
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Have both Rebel Assault games (PSX and PC) but don't remember ever playing them.

At the time I got PSX game, I got Wing Commander III or IV and ended up playing that for a while...
Good choice.

Quote:
Wasn't Mad Dog MacCree on Sega CD as well?? (might try that one as well)
I only know the Wii version and tbh, I don't think a Sega CD version of Mad Dog MacCree will do the game justice. IIrc, the original arcade machine worked with laserdiscs, so the visual quality of a Sega CD port will be very poor.
Old 15 July 2015, 08:35   #434
Culky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I only know the Wii version and tbh, I don't think a Sega CD version of Mad Dog MacCree will do the game justice. IIrc, the original arcade machine worked with laserdiscs, so the visual quality of a Sega CD port will be very poor.
The PC version of Mad Dog McRee came out in 2002.
I also have Mad Dog McRee - The Lost Gold. Not sure of the release date of that one.

Old 01 October 2015, 09:28   #435
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Nuclear Throne. Took a while but I'm getting into it, the game is harder than any indie I've played so far and that put me off a little initially. But the fact that you die frequently ultimately just doesn't matter when you get into the flow, the game is such a rush that you just keep going and going, trying to get a little bit further. Awesome audio and music too, real adrenaline-material. And there is the daily challenge where you compete against other players for the day's top scores - if you make it into the top 100, yur gittin gud.

BUT.

- a new version is released weekly (good) which means new bugs weekly too (bad). The one from two weeks ago really broke the game for many people, and the current version has a nasty world generation bug where you can spawn on top of an exploding car and die instantly. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I can imagine it sucks when you're doing a daily and you're really on a roll

- every month there is a larger update which does radical changes, which is always paired with a complete progress reset. This is however ending, the game is nearing finalized state.

- controller play is way too slow and inaccurate and its actually not trivial to deactivate, you need to hit the 'g' key to reset to keyboard + mouse control. If there is one thing that Vlambeer still has a lot to learn about its UI design.

- coop play is local only, no online/steamworks support yet :/ The game would be so awesome if it had online coop capabilities.

See for yourself: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 October 2015, 21:10   #436
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

[ Show youtube player ]

What the Funk did I just watch!? I suddenly have a dire need to wear women's clothing and hang around in bars. Again.
Old 19 November 2015, 21:22   #437
skell

Send a message via MSN to skell
Let me toot my own horn here a little.

Monstro: Battle Tactics

Steam page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/369310
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/monstrobattletactics/
Landing page: http://monstro.retrocade.net

It's a tactical puzzle game, which we're releasing on Steam on 3rd of December. I don't want to copy the description from the Steam page so let me paraphrase myself here - it's a game of tongue-in-cheek humor, fully deterministic (so no RNG), featuring a mixture of pixel art and real-time lighting. The core gameplay mechanic is the defense system, where the damage done to enemies drains first their defense and only then HP, and it regenerates each turn - so heavily armored units are difficult to "nibble down".

People who tested it praised the gameplay, hopefully it'll be to your tastes .
Old 23 November 2015, 10:01   #438
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

How's this for originality: the prototype game lurking.

[ Show youtube player ]

(quiet Markiplier). This game displays its graphics in the form of sonar, based on the sound you yourself produce not only in the game but also through your microphone. Making more noise allows you to see more... but also allows the baddies to spot you better. Now there's a true bloodpressure simulator!
Old 27 November 2015, 10:51   #439
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The new feature trailer of Broforce made me laugh:

[ Show youtube player ]

Guess I'll give it another try
Old 11 January 2016, 22:48   #440
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I've been happy with my current setup of impossible indie games as of late, but my eye fell on this let's try of Crashlands.

[ Show youtube player ]

Basically its a funnier, less unforgiving version of Don't Starve. Which I fully support as Don't Starve is awesome, but it will kick your ass and you'll just have to like it.

Crashlands looks cute!