English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 16 August 2014, 22:53   #261
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I should've bought Crypt of the NecroDancer, I bought Broforce. Why did I do that? Jesus I'm retarded sometimes.

Well now that I've bought it and played it, I can at least say this: huge potential but after an hour you're done with it; the game keeps getting new characters in updates, what it needs is more gameplay. Its a very decent run & gunner right now, but with literally no variation.

Rather try out Expandabros, which is like a free shareware version of the game to plug the Expandables 3: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312990/
Old 16 August 2014, 23:05   #262
TCD

I did the same mistake (hour of gameplay) with Dungeons: The Eye of Draconus. It's really damn short and while 7€ isn't that much, there's zero replayablity to the game. Wait for a deal on Crypt of the Necrodancer btw But do get Super Panda Adventures. Now. Really, doo eet

Last edited by TCD; 17 August 2014 at 18:32. Reason: Dancer man, not mancer...
Old 25 August 2014, 09:41   #263
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This weekend I caught the Minecraft bug again. I decided to check out the last version (although a new one is up and coming already) and was instantly hooked again. The last update added some really nice biomes that make the world so wonderfully diverse, and there are now so many blocks and build options that it is easier than ever to build nice things.
Old 04 September 2014, 09:23   #264
TCD

Wizorb

Arkanoid clone with a fantasy setting and story bits tacked on. Great retro graphics and a good soundtrack that will get on your nerves after a while though Dirt cheap and a lot of fun to play
Old 11 September 2014, 12:49   #265
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth got a nice little disturbing trailer... [ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 September 2014, 15:17   #266
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I saw it - its about the most awkward thing I've ever seen. Since the trailer for the first binding Of Isaac in any case.

The developer of that game has a weird sense of humor, that's for sure.
Old 11 September 2014, 16:03   #267
TCD

I don't really get the hype about the game anyway It's a top down shooter with a sick setting. Nothing to really write home about...
Old 11 September 2014, 18:27   #268
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

... except that it is a joy to play, a really tough challenge and it has a really cool and rather unique upgrade mechanic which makes each playthrough very different from the others.
Old 11 September 2014, 18:55   #269
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
... except that it is a joy to play
Well, not for me Guess I might try it again now that I get the whole 'roguelike' concept a bit more.
Old 11 September 2014, 19:00   #270
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Rogue Legacy is awesome to get you into roguelike, it's a rogue-light, very forgiving.
Isaac is pretty hardcore if you're not into that kind of game.
Old 12 September 2014, 11:22   #271
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Been giving Starbound some playtime with version 1.0 around the corner (or so I hear).

Strangely addictive Scifi version of Terraria. People keep saying "ITS NOT TERRARIA" - they can go kiss my bum cheeks because it is very much like Terraria, but more combat and exploration oriented. And that is not a bad thing.

I especially love the addition of an Elite-like universe where there are thousands of planets in different solar systems to find and fly to in your spaceship (for which you will need fuel); if you know the coordinates you can go to the same planet in different games. That's a fun alternative to Terraria or Minecraft's randomly generated world. Its also a good way to cheat because then you can also instantly look up where to find that epic Mechwarrior suit to make yourself nearly invincible with

But still... the gameplay can use some tuning. Its just so easy to fall to your death because the game knows no or at least a wonky walking-speedup for example, you just instantly run at top speed. So "slowly" walking off an edge to fall onto a lower ledge generally just results into you plummeting down like a lemming.
Old 15 September 2014, 23:18   #272
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

*warning* Early Access *warning*

I've been intrigued by the Escapists (also because I spotted "Team 17" in the credits, I wonder what their involvement in this project is).

Let's Try: [ Show youtube player ]

If Escape from Colditz and Final Fantasy 1-3 would have a baby, it would be the Escapists

Basically it is a pixellated escape-from-prison game, very much in the same vein as Escape from Colditz but sans the complicated maze and the micro-management of different prisoners - and with the added micromanagement of minor RPG stats. That aspect of it doesn't appeal too much to me, the gameplay element is basically that you need to manage your time in the prison day to be able to grind and upgrade your stats.

Also as if it is a requirement in all indie games nowadays - the game has a crafting system where you can find different crafting recipes, often hidden in obscure locations, and if you have the stuff and the ingredients you can create new and often illegal items which can help towards your escape. I like crafting systems, it just gives you something to do in between the regular gaming routines.

But its Early Access, so you have a limited amount of prisons to choose from, there is no prison designer yet and not all the planned escape possibilities are implemented. But it looks like the kind of game that has all the chance of the world to become fully featured in no time. At 9 euros, its not "done enough" yet in my opinion though.
Old 16 September 2014, 14:41   #273
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Damn you awesome indie games!

*adds to wishlist*

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Old 16 September 2014, 22:43   #274
TCD

So... we all know that Microsoft bought Mojang and thus Minecraft for 2.5 billion dollar. I kinda liked this podcast about how they might/will make that money out of the IP: [ Show youtube player ]

I'm not judging Notch or Mojang for taking the money (and leaving the boat), but what does Microsoft see in the IP that they spend that much money on it? Mojang made 326 million in 2013, so that's 7 years and around 8 months with a constant rate. Does MS really think that the IP will grow exponentially from today?
Old 16 September 2014, 22:51   #275
Shoonay
Global Caturator

They'll start selling shitty DLCs such as 1 new block for 25$ and soon quadriple that amount.
Old 16 September 2014, 22:56   #276
TCD

Are 'the kids' (hi gimby) really going to buy it? I mean.. this is not the 'IMMA GONNA BUY DAT NU COD NO MATTA WAT!!!' kind of crowd. I kinda doubt you can really get the folks that play Minecraft to fork out money for every little bit after they have been fed with large mouthfuls of free moar with each update.
Old 17 September 2014, 11:39   #277
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Minecraft HD is the reason of course. Minecraft the best sold game in the world with a community that is as persistent as Pokemon players - it is also going to be the best sold sequel in the world.

Minecraft PC is a Java program - I cannot see it happening that Microsoft is going to maintain that version and tie their logo to it when they have two .NET-based XBox versions also. They might pull a big surprise and open source the original Minecraft at the time that they introduce a far shinier sequel - as a gesture of good will towards the current players.

I must add: 2.5 billion dollars. For an indie game (to be fair: for the company of which 95% is the game). I am -really- doing it wrong.

Last edited by gimbal; 17 September 2014 at 11:44.
Old 17 September 2014, 22:58   #278
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Pretty nice indie game just came out
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312750/

EDIT: Also, this http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

Last edited by Shoonay; 17 September 2014 at 23:14.
Old 17 September 2014, 23:37   #279
TCD

Downloading Quake Live. Q3 for free? Well... gimme gimme gimme, I'm old!
Old 18 September 2014, 09:24   #280
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Pretty nice indie game just came out
http://store.steampowered.com/app/312750/
yeah if "indie" means "re-re-re-release"

Its on my wishlist, but I haven't even touched Final Fantasy 3 yet :/

I wonder how Square chooses the platforms they release on; I have the idea that they're just throwing a die or something as it is just as random as it gets.

"Dragon Quest 1, where are we going to re-re-release that on?"
*tosses die*
"Its a 2, that means on Android and iOS!"