English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 24 March 2019, 20:23   #521
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
I am thinking on how to do proper documentation, the amiga guide format certainly limits my speed a lot.

What do you think about something web based like this?
https://trackerhero.wixsite.com/redpill/blank-page
Web based isn't bad but I usually use GitHub Pages for documentation so proper version control can take place. GitHub now hosts closed source projects for teams as big as 3 people for free.

The bad news about GitHub is that it's now owned by Microsoft which is why people started looking at GitLab and BitBucket instead.
Old 24 March 2019, 23:24   #522
d4rk3lf

Quote:

For me, it's awesome.
I'd be happy with just a notepad file, and one sentence per action and reaction.
Whatever you do it this way, or what Samurai_Crow suggested, it's great.

It really doesn't need to complex or anything, and you don't need to waste much time on it, just some alpha version of help, so it can help us beginners, jump quicker into the RedPill.

Thanks.
Old 26 March 2019, 22:45   #523
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Quote:
I think you need to add a trigger to your player object, with condition always and action Check Exits. I think this trigger is what is missing

Thank you Zener, it works now !
However, the condition 'always' isn't displayed when it is selected which is quite confusing at first, since it looks like as if it was not selected at all. Could it be a bug ?
Speaking of bug, the 'Fill:Flood Fill' function in the Edit Map panel gives a Guru each time I try to use it. Tested on 2 different versions of WinUAE. If it can help, here is what the Guru displays :' Error : 8000 000B Task : 002B4000'

Anyway despite it's relative complexity Redpill is really enjoyable and seems to have some great potential !
Old 26 March 2019, 22:58   #524
Jack Burton

Quote:
I am thinking on how to do proper documentation, the amiga guide format certainly limits my speed a lot.

As far as there's some documentation available it's OK for me, whatever format it uses !

I think it'll be of great help, as for myself I've already at least 3 or 4 more questions pending (enemy collision and behaviour, HUD with life/XP bars and items, ladders, etc.) now that my Exit problem has been resolved.
Old 27 March 2019, 14:55   #525
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
However, the condition 'always' isn't displayed when it is selected which is quite confusing at first, since it looks like as if it was not selected at all. Could it be a bug ?
Condition Always is automatically selected when nothing is in the condition. It's perfectly logic for me. If there's nothing in the condition, then trigger will be executed without any request, or Always.
Always button is there, if we make some condition, and then we change our mind, and just want to delete that condition. We select always, and we have no condition.

Hope it's more logic now.
Old 27 March 2019, 16:45   #526
Zener

For now you can just click on the F key for flood fill, try if that works fine
Old 27 March 2019, 23:19   #527
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Condition Always is automatically selected when nothing is in the condition. It's perfectly logic for me. If there's nothing in the condition, then trigger will be executed without any request, or Always.
Always button is there, if we make some condition, and then we change our mind, and just want to delete that condition. We select always, and we have no condition.

Hope it's more logic now.

Indeed !
I didn't see it like this at first, and I was even thinking a 'Nothing' trigger (like the one found in the Actions triggers) would have been welcomed in the Conditions triggers to cancel a useless trigger. Now I'll be able to clean up some of my triggers that have become a bit messy !
Old 27 March 2019, 23:32   #528
Jack Burton

Quote:
For now you can just click on the F key for flood fill, try if that works fine

Using the F key to flood fill an empty screen with a 16x16 tile crashed RedPill again : Error: 8000 00B Task: 002B5FC0

I will have to try it on the real hardware, it's maybe a problem related to the emulator after all.
Old 30 March 2019, 12:45   #529
Zener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
Using the F key to flood fill an empty screen with a 16x16 tile crashed RedPill again : Error: 8000 00B Task: 002B5FC0

I will have to try it on the real hardware, it's maybe a problem related to the emulator after all.
I was unable to reproduce it with other projects. If you could send me a project where the issue is reproducible I can take a look at what's wrong.
Old 31 March 2019, 00:34   #530
Jack Burton

Quote:
I was unable to reproduce it with other projects. If you could send me a project where the issue is reproducible I can take a look at what's wrong.

I've sent you a PM.
Old 31 March 2019, 10:32   #531
Zener

new REDPILL release: http://tiny.cc/getredpill

V0.6.13
-General trigger processing has been optimized.
-Collision system now uses internal blitz basic collision function.
-Optimized trigger Collides type, it should be much faster.
-Optimized trigger Sort by Z.
-Extra checks added to level editor flood fill.
-For grounded objets to trigger bottom collision every tick now they must have height.
Old 31 March 2019, 13:00   #532
Pyromania

Congrats on the new release! I’ll have to check it out and play around.
Old 31 March 2019, 17:18   #533
Jack Burton

Thanks Zener, RedPill rocks !
Old 06 May 2019, 17:05   #534
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to darkfalzx
I have only discovered RedPill the other day, and I'm somewhat blown away! Maybe I will finally be able to make a game for my favorite computer of all times!: )

Since I'm a total noob at RedPill, is there a place where I can pester people with questions about the package? Like a separate messageboard of a Discord server?

Also, has anyone tried making an arcade adventure (Dizzy-like) game in RP, or a metroidvania?
Old 07 May 2019, 17:24   #535
Zener

You can use this thread or make your question in the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/redpillgamecreator/

Some people has made some small games like the ones you say, check the bottom of the page: https://tiny.cc/redpillcreator
Old 07 May 2019, 19:20   #536
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Pardon me for perhaps being a bit thick, but which of the games on the RedPill page are of adventure/metroidvania kind? From what I was able to see, most platformer games listed were of straight forward action kind, set on linear maps.

I played around with the editor yesterday, and was able to do this:
[ Show youtube player ]
(As you can see, RP glitches up when transitioning areas).

The area transition system works on the small scale, but I wish there was access to arrays to keep the game's map stored in it, or for an inventory.

Better yet, it would've been awesome if there was some kind of "hard" mode, that allowed user to type in "triggers" in form of a simple script (like in ZX Spectrum's AGC).

Oh, also, what program can I use to create the 256x256x4 background images? No matter what I tried, the BGs are screwed up in game (at least in the ECS graphics mode).

Last edited by darkfalzx; 07 May 2019 at 19:59.
Old 07 May 2019, 22:34   #537
Zener

You are quite fast, your game is already looking pretty awesome!

Redpill is in development, when people developing games need something I try to develop it in future versions. I have no knowledge of AGC, but after watching some videos I think I understand what you want, I will think about it.

The problem you have with the scroll is for sure bug. What is the size of the map and tile size? what action are you using to change the map?

The background sprite images for now only work fine in AGA games, for ECS there could be more restrictions and the image needs to be smaller.
Old 07 May 2019, 23:55   #538
d4rk3lf

@darkfalzx
That Wip of yours looks awesome!
RedPill is still in alpha stage (not even beta), and yet, so many people created so much cool stuff already (including you).

As for the Dizzy like game... I don't see why not... but I can't give any useful advice on how would (for example) the inventory system work.
I think, at this point of development, we shouldn't plan to make any sort of complex game (fully done and released), but rather focus on some demo level, and give Zener feedback about problems we occur.
For example: I plan to make some demo level of beat em up game.
Some simpler games, even now, can be fully done in RedPill.

Anyways, welcome to the this thread, and let's all learn from each other.
(until Zener decide to make (at least) most primitive help :P )
Old 08 May 2019, 06:31   #539
darkfalzx
Developer extraordinaire

Quote:
The problem you have with the scroll is for sure bug. What is the size of the map and tile size? what action are you using to change the map?
For now my locations are 480x272 with tile size of 16x16 (so 30x17 tiles).
I transition screens via trigger objects that execute Move to Level triggers.
Here's a link to my mess: )

Quote:
The background sprite images for now only work fine in AGA games, for ECS there could be more restrictions and the image needs to be smaller.
I have no problem with that. Even it it's a 1-bit image the effect could be very cool, say, to have moon and some stars in that night sky: )

Thank you for making this awesome tool! It's fascinating to explore its capabilities: )

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
@darkfalzx
Anyways, welcome to the this thread, and let's all learn from each other.
(until Zener decide to make (at least) most primitive help :P )
Thank you!
That's the idea!
Hopefully we can have a bit of an input on how the program is developed too: )

Last edited by darkfalzx; 08 May 2019 at 15:01.
Old 08 May 2019, 15:04   #540
Zener

The scroll buas was eady to find, it will be fixed in the next version.

To move between levels, there is a simpler solution, you can check it out in this video: [ Show youtube player ]
The player objects needs to have a Check Exits trigger