English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 28 December 2018, 04:08   #21
jmmijo

Just wanted to put in my $0.02 worth:

POTATO

It's too bad when MONEY is involved then things go down the drain rather quickly
Old 28 December 2018, 09:57   #22
mcgeezer

I'll not take sides of what happened, but I will say this.

If someone disclosed a private message I had sent them on social media I would be far from happy.

In this digital age we have very little privacy left and we should preserve it.

I'll certainly be wary of sending Amiten any messages in the future via any medium.

Geezer
Old 28 December 2018, 10:21   #23
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Hummm....

People have the skills they have.
Some don't know how to code at all, some can code in ASM, some in Basic, some in C, some in Pascal, some in Cobol, some in Batch, etc... some in AMOS .

When developing this game they made certain choices.
Should we punish them for these choices or their respective skills ?
No.

As with all others games, if they don't find their target audience, the sales will be low and thus the "punishment" will be there.
In the other hand, if they find their target audience, they will know they made "a" good choice...

Constructive and substantiated criticism are always required and welcome.

Let's leave all others school-yard disputes aside. It's good for nobody, neither Amiten, nor EAB...

This is my 0.01€ opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
Merry Christmas
Old 28 December 2018, 11:44   #24
Gorf

Quote:
Some don't know how to code at all, some can code in ASM, some in Basic, some in C, some in Pascal, some in Cobol, some in Batch, etc... some in AMOS .

When developing this game they made certain choices.
Should we punish them for these choices or their respective skills ?
No. Of course everyone can use whatever he/she wants.
But if method fails to get you to the desired point, than you might rethink ....

Getting a rather unspectacular jump'n'run NOT to run on a stock A1200.... well, that calls for some criticism for sure.
Selling that game for more money than usual ... maybe not a good idea?
Old 28 December 2018, 11:45   #25
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Since the topic is apparently open for debate with only one side being allowed to speak (unfair), I'll add my two cents: It should be apparent to anyone that DamienD was way out of line. He started out by writing ignorant comments, comparing AMOS to Backbone and saying things like "So in order to play this game on his real A1200 he then needs to invest in an accelerator card" as if you need an accelerator to get fast RAM (I have an A1200 with 2MB + 8MB and no accelerator). Amiten, having the disadvantage of not being a native English speaker successfully shot down all these arguments. NOT ONCE did he get personal or offensive.

Then, I guess because DamienD was getting bored, he wrote this out of nowhere:

Quote:
Anyway, you want to make this personal as you cannot handle people giving their opinions? Please continue and see what happens...
to which Amiten naturally replied "uhh what fear moderator..." and for that his thread was locked and he got banned. What the hell??!?

I've been in this forum since the beginning of the millennium and I don't remember seeing Damien behave that way ever before, so I guess he was just in a bad mood or something.
Old 28 December 2018, 12:09   #26
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I've opened a thread about it on a1k (generally, not only Amiten & DamienD) and discuss this also on fb... There are so many problems in the world, so my question is: why in gods name there are so many hate comments in the last time in the Amiga Community? What is going wrong? we all love the Amiga and are happy (it seems, not all Amiga-Fans) of New products, which See the Light of day!!
Old 28 December 2018, 12:54   #27
Aladin

Minimal updates of os 3.1.4 and p96 are paying. Yet these are just small updates
Old 28 December 2018, 13:00   #28
DamienD
Global Moderator

You're entitled to your opinion alkis21 but you don't know the full story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
and for that his thread was locked and he got banned. What the hell??!?
Amiten was temporarily banned after posting a PM firstly on EAB (which obviously I removed) and then Facebook.

I'm sorry, but that's not on and doing this is no way to handle disputes.

You also seem to be saying that it's just me that questioned the "digital download" price and high hardware requirements; please read the whole thread.

We are not talking about a free game here; we are talking about one that is being sold and money requested before it's even been completed.

Also, as you've been around long enough... you must have seen things detailed in Shatterhand's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
He does have an history. He overhyped sutff he tried to sell as demos that were just basic animations in the past, he tries to get views on his youtube channel by making "shows" about games he is doing that never materializes anywhere, the way he dealt with criticism with his "Dream of Rowan" game was abysmal to say the least (and, again, not a free game, but a pretty expensive one for current Amiga's standard), and I think the way he overmarkets his stuff may be annoying to many people. The perceived hostility may not be uncalled for.

Last edited by DamienD; 28 December 2018 at 13:14.
Old 28 December 2018, 13:10   #29
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

15 minutes ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CocoBanana.png
Views:	97
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	61350  

Last edited by malko; 28 December 2018 at 15:06. Reason: attachment added
Old 28 December 2018, 13:17   #30
DamienD
Global Moderator

Oh right, because of me the game is now not continuing

...what a joke, talk about throwing your toys out of the pram!!!

Another fine example of maturity.
Old 28 December 2018, 13:33   #31
NeoHippie2016
Freak

I will send Amiten the money for Coco Banana digital version and send it to you, DamienD!
Old 28 December 2018, 13:35   #32
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippie2016 View Post
I will send Amiten the money for Coco Banana digital version and send it to you, DamienD!
No thank you, I'm good
Old 28 December 2018, 15:55   #33
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
OK I admit that that does put things into perspective. I shouldn't have presumed.
Old 28 December 2018, 23:13   #34
volvo_0ne

Maybe I'll get banned or something, I dunno....

But I think the Amiga community has ALWAYS been very "Elitist" and its users/supporters /programmers USUALLY seem very condescending when asked for help/advice (with a few exceptions, who have helped me, you know who you are).

Unfortunately this has been the case since the 90's ("Contact us ELITE ONLY!") you know the scenario....

It's a pity that the Amiga community didn't pull together like the ZXSpectrum community did even when they knew they were doomed.

Just sayin'
Old 28 December 2018, 23:25   #35
tolkien
AmigaMan

I have asked for help in my coding learning road and always have found an answer in eab as in other forums and groups so my experience is not the same sorry.
Old 28 December 2018, 23:36   #36
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
I have asked for help in my coding learning road and always have found an answer in eab as in other forums and groups so my experience is not the same sorry.
I think I was misunderstood (or put it wrongly).....

Probably the latter

WHen the Amiga was popular(mostly the 90's), there seemed to be a brick wall (even with the early comms revolution) where people didn't want to help and just because you didn't know something you were a "lamer" and to an extent that seems to still be the case.

I appreciate that at the time many programmers were students or even schoolkids who had the time to work out the intricacies of the system but I also remember the aloof attitudes they had when dealing with people who didn't have "the knowledge".
Old 29 December 2018, 00:04   #37
tolkien
AmigaMan

oooh yes! I remember that Elite/lamers wars. Now I think it was child things.
Sure it was dificult to get info but even in those days I had luck to know helpful people.
Old 29 December 2018, 15:35   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
Maybe I'll get banned or something, I dunno....

But I think the Amiga community has ALWAYS been very "Elitist" and its users/supporters /programmers USUALLY seem very condescending when asked for help/advice (with a few exceptions, who have helped me, you know who you are).
Sounds like a 90's computer thing really, not specifically Amiga. It was all still relatively new so there wasn't a whole lot of competition for the people who knew their stuff.
Old 30 December 2018, 15:14   #39
mcgeezer

So this arsehole Johnny Adcacado decided to piss me off on his stream last night after I tried to explain to him about privacy.

As you can see, I've posted my thoughts on the matter.

Geezer
Old 30 December 2018, 16:41   #40
DamienD
Global Moderator

I'm sorry that you got caught up in this mess Graeme

...and yes he only gives half the story as that suits him i.e: helps with his marketing / propaganda engine.

This guy clearly has no morals or respect for anyone / anything; and is just out to try to make a quick buck by fleecing the Amiga community with sub-standard products and blatant rip-offs from other people's work; of course without their permission.

He's done it numerous times before with previous <cough> demos / games that he's sold... unfortunately while people still support him by putting cash into his pocket, I fear it will continue.