English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 01 July 2003, 18:46   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question Eye of the Beholder

I have a question about Eye of the Beholder which I helped to dump for you. Is the IPF released version unmodified? I think you only release unmodified games don't you?

The reason I ask is because I know that getting an unmodified version must have been very difficult as the game requires disk 2 to be wrtite-enabled. Did you get many unmodified dumps?

There is a point to all this. And here it is...

I noticed the layout of the first level of your IPF version is actually different to my original copy. Some areas are slightly different with walls added in places. It's like there are two different versions of level 1. I wonder if this is randomly decided when you first start the game or if the first level for that copy is decided when the game has been mastered. That is the first time I've seen that altered layout and it really surprised me. I thought "am I playing the same game?"
Old 01 July 2003, 19:00   #2
IFW

1, Obviously it is not from your dump
However we don't care whose dump is it, so long you contributed you get a perfect dump.

2, All games released are unmodified.

3, Great find isn't it? I'll look out for an alternate retail version sometime, if it does exist, and not the default layout of the map, without pushing the switches and stuff...

In the meantime: Have fun with your new version!
Old 01 July 2003, 19:20   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
1, Obviously it is not from your dump
I didn't ask that.
Obviously it's not from the dump I made.
Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
I'll look out for an alternate retail version sometime, if it does exist, and not the default layout of the map, without pushing the switches and stuff...[/B]
Don't worry I've found out was going on. I just realised that I've got the Eye of the Beholder cluebook! Duh!

Well all my questions have been answered. It turns out the level isn't randomly generated when you first start the game nor is it mastered with a slightly different layout. It's simply a matter of direction which dictates the layout of the level. For example the cluebook tells me that if you go north at a certain location the layout changes to the one I've usually seen. However if you go east then the layout is altered slightly with diferent walls in different places. So there is no randomness and there is only one mastered version of Eye of the Beholder. You can now stop your hunting.

Where would we be without cluebooks aye?
Every game should have a a cluebook.
Old 02 July 2003, 05:18   #4
VermillioN

speaking of hint books are u guys still thinking of undertaking this as some sorta mini-project? I think this is best way as there was obviously very few hint books released 'with' the game
I realise they may not match the priority of the dumps themselves.. but lets face it - the books are starting become as dusty and worn as your beard IFW..so..
I've been including hint books with the scan archives lately so will see what happens

Old 02 July 2003, 05:22   #5
IFW

Absolutely, those gems must be preserved
Thanks!
Old 02 July 2003, 10:54   #6
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I have this game also if you want an alternative dump.

I admit i do have a question in regards to CAPS....whats the point in preserving a dump of a floppy disk when eventually floppy disks (especially DD ones) will no longer be available? Doesn't Whd installs and ADF's make more sense in that the data from these games can be stored onto a PC/Amiga hard drive?
Old 02 July 2003, 11:05   #7
IFW

An ipf (disk image) is an image that was designed to be useful for anything related to the content it holds.
Think of it as a virtual floppy disk, that can hold any data an original game holds.
You can use it for emulation, use it for whdload installs, or remaster the data.
The point is that games will be available as they were original available (abstract the media of course) for thousands of years to come, while the disks themselves are quite often rotten even by now.

It can't make your breakfast - yet

Being virtual usage of the content does not matter, but at least usage and being original content is granted.
Old 02 July 2003, 14:27   #8
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Ah jolly good then!