English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 09 September 2012, 19:34   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Pitfall

No-one seems to have picked up on a comment I made a while ago, but Pitfall was coming to Amiga until it got cancelled.

I saw the first level up and running on the programmers A1200, was the same as the Megadrive version.

Was programmed by Ady Hirst, same guy that converted Raiden.
Old 09 September 2012, 19:39   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Was programmed by Ady Hirst, same guy that converted Raiden.
...which also was not released. It seems Ady wrote all his games just to the deposit
Old 09 September 2012, 20:11   #3
Tolls

I worked at Imagitec (Dream Weavers) with Ady Hirst. I remember both Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure and Raiden in development. Both were finished as far as I recall, but not sure why they weren't released...

I also remember a game called 'Chart Breaker' we worked on too, which was planned for the Amiga - again that never saw the light of day.

There were also non-Amiga games were also started and never finished, I certainly remember Zorro for the Mega-Drive, it had excellent rotoscoped gfx and looked a bit like the Amiga Aladdin game. We were developing that for US Gold, and I still have the original design somewhere along with milestone and meeting notes.

Another game which springs to mind was Darknet (PC, Saturn) for ASC, which used cutting edge pre-rendered sprites and isometric scenes (for the time), created with Silicon Graphics and 3d Studio (Dos). I think I still have some gfx stuff knocking around somewhere.

If I remember, Ady went on the run 'Code Monkeys' with a number of ex-imagitec employees, and sadly went out of business in 2009.

Last edited by Tolls; 09 September 2012 at 20:17.
Old 09 September 2012, 20:17   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Is it same Zorro as on PC? [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 September 2012, 20:24   #5
Tolls

Lol, no it's not!

The Mega-Drive version had expansive, detailed scenes with lots of variety in enemy sprites and animations. We certainly had a couple of levels finished blockset wise, and if I remember it must have been nearing alpha.
Old 09 September 2012, 23:44   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
I worked at Imagitec (Dream Weavers) with Ady Hirst. I remember both Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure and Raiden in development. Both were finished as far as I recall, but not sure why they weren't released...

I also remember a game called 'Chart Breaker' we worked on too, which was planned for the Amiga - again that never saw the light of day.

There were also non-Amiga games were also started and never finished, I certainly remember Zorro for the Mega-Drive, it had excellent rotoscoped gfx and looked a bit like the Amiga Aladdin game. We were developing that for US Gold, and I still have the original design somewhere along with milestone and meeting notes.

Another game which springs to mind was Darknet (PC, Saturn) for ASC, which used cutting edge pre-rendered sprites and isometric scenes (for the time), created with Silicon Graphics and 3d Studio (Dos). I think I still have some gfx stuff knocking around somewhere.

If I remember, Ady went on the run 'Code Monkeys' with a number of ex-imagitec employees, and sadly went out of business in 2009.
Do you know then Tolls anyone having the full release of Raiden and maybe pitfall for A1200 on disks and that would agree to release them ?
Old 10 September 2012, 21:46   #7
lesta_smsc

Hmmm Pitfall was a great game! Very much based on a similar engine to Jungle Book, Lion King etc (on PC that is)
Old 11 September 2012, 09:58   #8
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
pics or it did`t happen

plz plz plz we want to see
Old 11 September 2012, 10:57   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
pics or it did`t happen

plz plz plz we want to see
Only person that would have them is Ady, and I can assure you it exists, because I was in his house where he assembled level 1 to show me
Old 11 September 2012, 18:40   #10
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I contacted him for raiden years ago. He was not interested to make raiden public
also the game is store on tape band microdrive, thats really too bad
Old 11 September 2012, 19:58   #11
Amiga1992

Raiden and Pitfall were conversions and even though the guys worked on the programming, graphics and all aspects of that specific conversion, they don't own the rights to the IP necessary to release those games into the public. It could just mean a load of legal trouble for them. I guess it's kind of the same situation as with Putty Squad and I don't really know how Liquid Kids and Snow Bros. were made possible, but I don't blame these guys for not wanting to release these things into the public.

I would still like it if people like them would do whatever is in their best effort to keep a fresh digital copy of their work for posterity. You never know what can happen in the future and I am all in for preservation of this sort of work.
Old 11 September 2012, 20:06   #12
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
know one heard of leeks then heheheheheh

ahh the joys of not owning ya own work .....
Old 11 September 2012, 21:26   #13
kamelito
Zone Friend

Why not ask David Crane he wanted to make an updated version of Pitfall via Kickstarter he may own the right as he invented it.
Kamelito