English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 July 2002, 21:21   #21
Fissuras
Old Luny

Man, I'm glad I've read this thread as it reminded me to post something in the World Cup thread. Don't want it deleted, you know.

I am guilty of spitting the TOSEC word against newbies!:hoo
But I believe it was done in a good way, as I used to say like "this game is in TOSEC so you may find it here or there".

Anyway, It has not been easy to get TOSEC games as Emuchina is overcrowded and Aceroms is oversluguish. But now, with planetemu, newbies at least have a fair chance.

The more EAB grows, the more requests will come. I see no problem helping people out, but the rules are set to the better, not only to save some bandwidth, but to save us from countless requests.

Maybe it woulbe be nicier if we give some guy the game/program he has requested sayin also: "hey, there is this great source of roms here and there, nice sites, full of games, easy to download...". If this doesn't help just do as I said the other day: send the leecher to AEN.
Old 11 July 2002, 23:09   #22
renaissman

Has anyone had any problems with planetemu? Whenever I try to get a game it starts automatically downloading a zip file to a 'temporary folder'. Then when it finishes Winzip opens automatically but can't find the file. I searched for it on my computer but all it finds is a php3 file and a pl file but no zip.

Old 11 July 2002, 23:17   #23
Ian
Global Moderator

You can't use download managers witht that site, you can only download a file every 45 seconds, meaning when you download manager tries to download a file, it'll just download the file that pops up the wait for xx seconds file.
Old 12 July 2002, 12:12   #24
Fissuras
Old Luny

I use another way to download roms from there.
I start downloading only one file from the set I want, so that I can see it's ftp address, login and password.
Then I do just as in emuchina: prepare a list of files to download like this:

ftp://login:password@planetemu.net/blablabla/filenumber1.zip
ftp://login:password@planetemu.net/blablabla/filenumber2.zip
ftp://login:password@planetemu.net/blablabla/filenumber3.zip

Then my FTP client downloads them all! There is no 45 sec limit as there is just one login (the first), just one conection.
Old 12 July 2002, 14:56   #25
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

If you want a "fun" site to download from try Amiga Power. This used to be a nice site. But I always get a max 10 people using server message there nowadays, which is a real shame. Like Akira I don't do that much downloading of Amiga stuff anymore either.
Old 13 July 2002, 15:43   #26
renaissman

I think I'll give up on planetemu, my browser wouldn't even load the games page, still got the popups though. My favourite amiga games site at the moment is amiga.supergamez.hu

Old 13 July 2002, 16:40   #27
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Le Chuck's has been a great site, though it doesn't seem like it's been updated games wise in a long while.
But it's fast & not burdened with pop-ups so enough said.
Old 14 July 2002, 01:04   #28
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thumbs down

Something with this site I ABYSMALLY hate is that each and every third-party site that has obviously been constructed with some "Your-homepage-on-the-web-in-5-minutes" kit just makes life easy for them: on the spur of the moment, they just link the files from that site directly (!), and if I say "the files", I mean ALL files.
I've even contacted LeChuck via e-mail, but he didn't respond.
He might be very busy currently, methinks...