English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 May 2002, 23:32   #1
Henrik

Post How do I configure and use Savedisks in winuae?

I've been trying to create and use a blank floppy, to use as a savedisk. Though I have not succeded. The games I've tried are Cannon Fodder and Hunter. I'm not able to use my blank disk as a savedisk in neither of them. So I decided to download the newest version of WinUAE, with the save state function implemented. That didn't come close to solving the problem, because every time I loaded the state, the game bugged. So how do you guys do when you want to save your game?

Old 03 May 2002, 00:13   #2
RetroMan

Some games (like Cannon Fodder ) use a special format on their save disks, so you need to download them (like the game itself) too .....

I know I have a save-disk for Cannon Fodder flying around, I´ll have a look tomorrow, since I´m still at work right now and it seems that I will be stuck here for some more hours
Old 05 May 2002, 18:21   #3
Nico

I always create a blank floppy in WinUAE and then format it in Cannon Fodder, works every time

For other games I just format my floppy in WB

Old 15 May 2002, 01:10   #4
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

And if that doesn't work, I think Back To The Roots (www.back2roots.org ) has a copy of the save disk knocking around. In fact they have a lot so take a look
Old 01 July 2002, 23:58   #5
AdamSelene

Hi guys! I've been having the same problems with Cannon Fodder, and the guys at www.back2roots.org reckon that it doesn't save because the save format isn't supported by the emulator itself. Ah well. Have to have an all-nighter on CF to get through it...

Mind you CF2 works fine. Just a shame it's so damned hard. Mission 8 is a right so-and-so!

Old 02 July 2002, 11:05   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

For Cannon Fodder 1 you need to create "custom adf" save disk(floppies tab). Standard ADF's only support regular AmigaDOS format.

Quote:
loaded the state, the game bugged
Make sure all "expansion" boards are disabled. (harddrives, zorro iii ram etc..) Save state only supports unexpanded Amiga features.
Old 02 July 2002, 12:00   #7
AdamSelene

Hmm. Seem to remember trying that first (See, I do read FAQ's first!). CF refused to save to the custom ADF, and didn't recognise it as a viable disk to format either. But I'll give it another go, and get back to you.

Old 02 July 2002, 12:11   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I remember that I tested Cannon Fodder when I created custom adf support. Maybe I broke something in later versions
Old 02 July 2002, 12:24   #9
AdamSelene

Well I just had a look like I said, and CF lets you format a normal ADF, but subsequently fails to recognise it. Try to format a custom ADF, and it says that there has been a "format error".

Old 02 July 2002, 12:33   #10
RetroMan

I upped a Cannon Fodder Savedisk to the zone It´s in extended adf format and should work fine in all WinUAE Versions above 0.8.14
Old 09 July 2002, 14:59   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Argh, this is due to stupid bug in disk emulation.

Writing and immediately reading extended adf track returns corrupted data.

I didn't notice this earlier because WB's format-command writes both sides of disk before verifying (changing disk side or track causes rereading of track data from disk image)
Old 09 July 2002, 20:41   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Thumbs up

Glad to see another custom ADF bug fixed!
(/me also reported one some time ago relating to formatting custom ADFs using a WB util, now fixed)