English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 26 July 2007, 22:45   #61
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv View Post
...and if it works with 512k chip but is better with 1Mb or 2Mb ? Off the top of my head, Uridium 2 and Paradroid '90 benefit from extra chipram with new graphics and more music, and you have given other examples yourself.
I would never release a 512k slave then. Release the 1mb slave and we dont need any changes.
This is no argument.
Quote:
They work perfectly fine because the author has built two or more almost identical slaves, asked the user which one to use and picked or created the correct version on the fly. A flexible memory config built into the slave would avoid all that, so why bother with all that other stuff? It's an improvement. It makes install packages smaller and easier to create and maintain. That's why bother.
which games? still no examples.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
For WHDLoad, no, at least no released one. But I have fixed countless demos and have made my WHDLoad like patching system as well (which I don't use these days anymore though), so if your question was if I know about patching/fixing, yes, I definitely do. And I might do some whd slaves in the future, most probably for demos only. And if it was meant as a "you never coded a slave, you have no clue" well, then I better don't comment that!
Edit: you might want to check out this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28148 just in case you still think "no slave released, no clue"...
I'm sure you have the capabilities. But you must understand that your opinion has much less weight for me then others which made plenty of installs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I've updated the slave now, turns out Codetapper was right! As far as I could see the game just needs ~256k chip ram and makes use of extended mem if it's available. The slave now requires $80000 bytes basemem and $80000 bytes extended mem. The slave now also removes the copyprotection so that it won't be necessary to modify the gamefile during installation. I also added that the slave first checks for OSEmu400 in the game datadir and if it's not available there it tries to load C:OSEmu400. This way it's possible to use a special version of OSEmu only for that very game as I heard there are several buggy versions around. Unused code has been removed as well. Slave attached to this post, can you please test it, Killergorilla? If it works, I'll create an updated installer script which can then be uploaded to the whdload site.
If its ready and tested please send me install package. Please make sure that a actual install script from the whd-dev package is used. I would be happy to release it.

PS: if possible avoid osemu, use kickemu instead
Old 26 July 2007, 23:04   #62
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepl View Post
I would never release a 512k slave then. Release the 1mb slave and we dont need any changes.
Why would you not release the 512k slave?
Quote:
which games? still no examples.....
I gave examples! You just decided those games only needed one version!
Old 28 July 2007, 12:23   #63
Wepl

Quote:
Why would you not release the 512k slave?
Because I think there is no need to support 512 KB Chip only machines. I think 1 MB Chip can be expected for running WHDLoad. All machines with Kick 2.0+ had 1 MB Chip or more.
Old 28 July 2007, 14:33   #64
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Because I think there is no need to support 512 KB Chip only machines. I think 1 MB Chip can be expected for running WHDLoad. All machines with Kick 2.0+ had 1 MB Chip or more.
My A500 fitted a with 1.3 / 2.04 kickstart switcher didn't But if you say 1Mb chip is the minimum for WHDLoad, then fair enough.