English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 February 2020, 00:42   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Sh*t Game Time: Battletoads, what the hell??

Another stinker has joined the vault of shitness in the SGT video review section, Battletoads for the A500.

7 guys in 1994 worked on this crud,...how on earth could a game end up this bad that late in the Amiga's life with so many people working on it?!

Requested by youtuber "Saxdude26", I hope you enjoy the video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 February 2020, 00:45   #2
roondar

In my experience, there is such a thing as a team that is too big. Thanks for the video, I always enjoy these ones, even though I also understand the pain in playing the games featured in them
Old 23 February 2020, 00:47   #3
Pyromania

It looks like a classic.
Old 23 February 2020, 09:54   #4
dreadnought

Wasn't it actually ported in 1992 and only released in 1994?

I've only played the Megadrive version. It is rather uninspired in all departments, but still playable (I'm a big brawler fan so have to play them all). What are the Amiga version's faults?
Old 23 February 2020, 11:49   #5
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

What's really astonishing about Battletoads is the fact that this was made by the same team who came up with the legendary Donkey Kong Country on the SNES just 1 year later.
Old 24 February 2020, 11:42   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Battletoads is a game that people loved to hate on any platform. Impossibly hard to the max, you need to learn perfect timing to be able to beat the game. Basically a game designed for speed runners, not for casual players.

I never even saw the Amiga version outside of magazine screenshots. It doesn't look exactly sluggish... just slowed down with AI that just doesn't respond as it is supposed to. Battletoads is supposed to be FAST and the AI needs to be relentless.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 February 2020, 12:35   #7
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
What's really astonishing about Battletoads is the fact that this was made by the same team who came up with the legendary Donkey Kong Country on the SNES just 1 year later.
They were both done by Rare, but I very much doubt the same team that created the piece of crap that was Battletoads was also responsible for one of the greatest video games of all time.
Old 24 February 2020, 12:52   #8
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
They were both done by Rare, but I very much doubt the same team that created the piece of crap that was Battletoads was also responsible for one of the greatest video games of all time.
You are both right and wrong here. The team was different (it was much bigger), but just about all of the people that worked on Battletoads also worked on Donkey Kong Country. Interestingly, the main designer of DKC was one of the three people credited as designers of Battletoads.

Just check Moby Games

Not all that strange though, plenty of developers first release a couple of less-than-stellar games before moving on to greater things
Old 24 February 2020, 13:18   #9
dreadnought

Even if the team was the same, it doesn't really matter because there could be a heap of different factors coming into play. Such as platform familiarity, priority, internal pressures/deadlines etc etc.

It always puzzled me though why this game is so popular (I mean NES or other ok versions). It's just so dull. The other Battletoads game(s?) was much more interesting (I'm thinking the one in space).
Old 24 February 2020, 14:56   #10
LongLifeA1200

I could hardly hear you in the video.

Besides that it's disappointing to see you give up so easily whenever you play these games because it's a foregone that the game isn't worth your time.
Old 10 March 2020, 18:40   #11
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
I could hardly hear you in the video.

Besides that it's disappointing to see you give up so easily whenever you play these games because it's a foregone that the game isn't worth your time.

Hi, yeah the damn mic was slightly down during recording which I hadn't noticed and didn't have time to do it again :-/
As far as me giving up, it all depends on the game, there really wasn't anything else left to say about this crud so if I played it longer it would have sound like I was stretching it out, whereas other vids in my SGT series have had me completely losing my temper or even had me in stitches with laughter.

Here is the full library of "Shit Game Time" videos so far, roughly 100 of them:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fklqwZi6s2J0eh