English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 June 2001, 14:18   #1
MosMensk

Smile Amiga Radio Online!

Hey.

we just finished our Amiga Radio. It only plays Amiga game themes. Check out at http://www.amigamos.com/radio.shtml

You guys probably have all of these mods downloaded...but anyway

Hope you like it.

Comments are appreciated.

MosMensk.

Last edited by MosMensk; 11 June 2001 at 13:11.

Old 08 June 2001, 17:33   #2
RCK
Administrator

I don't really like shoutcast server in general, they need too much bandwitch in my mind.

About amiga music, the a b î me .net Mods Jukebox will be available for first beta-test this week-end for all EAB's members !
(no shoutcast, complient with all low connexion )

more about this asap
Old 08 June 2001, 19:58   #3
RCK
Administrator

everybody will be able to submit new mods into the jukebox
wait the end of the week-end for pure happiness
Old 08 June 2001, 20:25   #4
Gibby

56K not good enough

I have a 56k modem and I could not listen to the radio without it stopping every second for a gap of another second or two.

I used DU Meter to check my internet connection and I was downloading at 4.6 - 4.8 k/sec but this still was not good enough to listen to the radio without it skipping every second.

Its a great idea - well done.

But why does it require so much bandwidth. It was broadcasting the Lotus 2 theme which I have as an 81.3 kbyte mod. It should have only taken 17 seconds to download the whole piece into memory but after 17 seconds I had probably only listened to the piece for about 6 or 7 seconds because of the skipping. After about 30 seconds I had had enough and had to close it.

Obviously it has to do it a different way to simply streaming a mod, I don't know whether .mod's can be streamed so it must be converted to something which makes it a lot larger than it really needs, thats the only thing I can think of for why it skips so much.

Old 08 June 2001, 20:28   #5
Mangar
Got the fever back

I listened to it and it sounded fine. Although I do have DSL.. Using shoutcast has its limitations though.. I think what RCK is doing is a great idea and I'm sure you'll all be surprised when he finishes with the jukebox..
Old 09 June 2001, 15:25   #6
MosMensk

I'm looking forward to hear the jukebox..

It kinda sucks that live365.com demands at least 56k

I'll be on the lookout for alternatives.

Old 09 June 2001, 17:17   #7
Gibby

Question Do Live365 Demand 56k?

I found some Live365 stations that were 33k and they were alright. There was one that advertises itself as a computer game soundtrack radio station with SNES and Amiga music, I listened to two pieces of music and looked at it's playlist and they were all SNES so I stopped listening.

The point is, they set up their radio station as 33k and I could listen to that one without it skipping (it did a bit but not very often, only about twice in 5 minutes)

I've just tried to give your station another go and I got a second of Lotus 2 before it stopped for about 3 seconds it started again for another second and stopped (not at the end of the song) then I got the Live 365 jingle then it moved onto another piece (GODS) I got a little bit of that, lots of skipping and 2 or 3 second pauses before WinAmp just seemed to give up and decided to stop itself.

I am connected at 48 k/sec.

Old 09 June 2001, 23:42   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

I get here, retrieve new messages and start working my way down the list of what's been posted over the last couple of days. Fine.

I'm almost halfway down the list and I read this thread. I follow the AmigaRadio link in a new window, test the station out (on my cable connection). Needs javascript. OK, I enable that. Refresh and get popup window, which recommends I change my default settings to T1/DSL, which I click to do. A few seconds later, the stupid script crashes Netscape completely and I have to begin again.

I return here to EAB and click View New Posts. Only one new post shows up. So there's a whole crapload of new messages posted here that I have to miss. It's the only disadvantage I see to this forum to an ezboard forum, and that is clicking that you have finished being caught up in a forum area. Apparently, this sets a cookie that decides you have caught up by the date/time you were last here. Damn! Now I feel I have missed a lot of news...
Old 10 June 2001, 01:14   #9
RCK
Administrator

how the EAB works.

Once you connect to the board, the EAB check your last visit in the database and show you the new post.
From that moment, you have 15 minutes left before all these new posts become 'old' for you.

My tips is the following:
- when you arrive on the board, click on "View New Posts" at the top right of the screen.
-> you now have the list of all the thread which have new post.
- if you want, you can open all the thread you want to read them in new windows (10 thread -> 10 window )
and click on "Mark All Forums Read" at the bottom right of the main page.

- you can now take your time to read & reply to all the discussion

about your problem, (if your browser crash), you should come back on the board before the 15 minuts are elapsed and click again on "View New Posts".

I'll think about this problem...
but don't speak about this "full-of-popup-advertisements-in-every-page" aka "the-slow-EzBoard-for-warez-dude"
Old 11 June 2001, 10:19   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I ended up working it out by checking the dates of the last posted messages and going to each forum individually, thus getting caught up proper. And the way I have always viewed messages on here is View New Posts, then open each thread from the list in a new window. Some people hate this method, but I have always found it to be tidy like using frames, only manually. Oh, and thanks for the info on how the time expiration works!

I meant no offense in the comparison to ezboard. BTW, we Netscape users don't have to deal with the pop-ups because we can disable it.
Old 11 June 2001, 13:32   #11
Unregistered

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Do Live365 Demand 56k?

No, Live365.com does not demand 56k... However, using a lower bitrate gives poor sound quality. We have to convert the mods into mp3 in order to play them on the live365 server. But the live365.com site has some advantages. It Automatically generates a visual playlist. It's easy to use, and they provide us with a lot of server space as long as we keep the files in mp3.
We're really sorry that it's only those with a connection of about ISDN or above that can really listen to these very classic game tunes... They bring up memories that you really thought were lost forever...

To_X, Santa's helper @ AmigaMOS.com

Old 11 June 2001, 14:20   #12
RCK
Administrator

if you don't notice it, the Mods-jukebox is now online to public !
just click on "jukebox" (upper right of the board) to enjoy it

Info, comments, bugs, greating on the appropriate thread :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?threadid=489

note:
I didn't want to reduce Mosmensk effort with the release of the EAB's jukebox this week-end, it was pure coincidence that he offer his radio at the same moment
Old 11 June 2001, 15:04   #13
MosMensk

Thumbs up

Its quite alright RCK.

Your jukebox is excellent and deserves all the attention it can get.

Good work!