Best quote... (from me)

Quote:
"The only good thing about a real amiga is nostalgia, 'nuff said."

©2007 Ironclaw
Old 15 May 2007, 14:30   #82
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

it's no wonder my first reply began "oh god, this again."

i really hate this thread... for various reasons.
Old 15 May 2007, 17:26   #83
Graham Humphrey

Good to see Ironclaw being as modest as ever.
Old 15 May 2007, 17:29   #84
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoth
Nope, still no good.

Emulator hangs, repeatably, whilst booting AmigaOS. Fortunately, it's not killing the whole system, but the emulator is still dying.

At least the old version usually got further than that.

This emulator is going from bad to worse I'm afraid. Doesn't anyone test these before they are inflicted upon the world?
Why not try posting in the prb.WinUAE section of the board?
Old 16 May 2007, 04:30   #85
Lagoth

Quote:
reluctant to provide evidence so it can be fixed.
No, I already said I was willing to do a formal bug report, even though the problem with the older versions is not repeatable in the same way each time. I asked what format this should be done in, no one has given any indication.

Old 16 May 2007, 15:24   #86
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoth
No, I already said I was willing to do a formal bug report, even though the problem with the older versions is not repeatable in the same way each time. I asked what format this should be done in, no one has given any indication.
If you seriously & carefully read the relevant threads on this board you wouldn't ask: Describe your exact problem and post the

Quote:
winuaebootlog.txt
winuaelog.txt
files, but in the correct thread.
Old 31 May 2007, 10:50   #87
Quill2007

Emulation - Ok for those that want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
What a ridiculously arrogant comment. You prefer emulation. Great. I'm happy for you. But don't disregard everyone else's point of view so easily. Just because you prefer it doesn't mean everyone else had to.
As an A4000/060 276 megs ram, 40gig HD, Picasso IV graphics card, X surf + hypercom3 serial and parallel, buddha+catweasel+kylwalda,DKB 3128 memory memory board, Lyra keyboard interface, and punchinello mouse adaptor, I find my Amiga experience is great. I mainly use it for reading online books, email and a little light web surfing, with no problems whatsoever. This is on the NZ version of broadband, 3mhz/s download, 2 mhz/s upload. I find this does all I need, is stable and is very virus resistant, as I dont think a lot of people do use Amigas now, so no new virii get targeted at me.
Old 05 June 2007, 06:00   #88
Oryp

OK, If I could afford a decent 1200 or 4000 (good luck, there are next to NONE here in the states, and shipping one across the pond would be ridiculous) I would prefer using a real Amiga over emulation. That being said, I do have a 500, and I love using it, however, I also enjoy using emulation to experiment, and to make a machine that I can't have.
Old 05 June 2007, 13:04   #89
Jimbo

I have had winuae running on my second screen now for two weeks. Not one crash. Winuae rocks.

But I have to admit I set up one of my A1200's up in my daughters room and played a few games. It does take alot longer to load up then I remembered, but there is a little something that does feel better playing on the real thing.

but hey im sold on winuae now.

Having XP on the right screen and Winuae running classicwb or OS3.9 on the left screen non stop is fantastic.

Cant thank Toni enough for adding dual screen support. Without it I wouldnt use it as much.
Old 05 June 2007, 13:13   #90
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Ditto, as Lagoth - providing no proof - said WinUAE hangs in all the newest versions, I say it hanged/crashed in the previos 0.x ones - 'couse it did on my old pc with w98
The only thing that's going from bad to worse are the requirements, but that's the price of almost-ultra0exact emulation :]
Who cares about reqs these days, anyways?
Old 16 August 2007, 22:28   #91
mabus
Zone Friend

Emulation vs the Real Thing

Hi all,

I have been trying for ages to see if it is possible to recreate the feeling of using a real Amiga on an emulator such as winuae. But it doesn't seem to be possible. A real Amiga still seems a lot more fun and productive (and faster, despite the fact that my PC has several GHz to and good gfx card to emulate the Amiga). I wonder if anyone has any good tips for someone who would like to have an "all in one" solution?
Old 16 August 2007, 22:38   #92
twizzle

You Cant Beat The Real Thing At A Price.
Old 16 August 2007, 23:47   #93
DamienD
Banned

Check out this related thread: Emulation vs the Real Thing
Old 17 August 2007, 00:31   #94
keropi

if u have the money to spare, go for a real amiga... this is true for every system out there!
(except for psx. emulation is actually better there LOL)
Old 17 August 2007, 00:59   #95
ppill
CON: artist

In the long run I would have to say emulation. Amiga hardware simply doesn't do AmigaOS justice (especially the bog standard set-ups). Sure I fire up my real Amiga almost every day but emulation gives you so much more things to play around with without having to spend a single penny (like Action Replay which I never owned)
Old 17 August 2007, 01:04   #96
DamienD
Banned

I have to agree with ppill

WinUAE rocks... It doesn't take up any extra space, doesn't costs anything and you can emulate all the Amiga models / configurations you like

Ok, it may not be 100% perfect but it's not far off IMHO
Old 17 August 2007, 05:37   #97
Ironclaw
Banned

WinUAE.
Old 17 August 2007, 09:11   #98
laser
Banned

10 years ago I hated that most of amiga games cannot install on hd by default..
all pc games at the era were all hd installable
I hated floppys

Then on 1996-7 some ppl like JOTD and others start to make patches...and was cool

but now I like play games from floppys...it's a feeling...I really like cracktros, intros and trainers.....

even on winuae I like play games using adf files....you can watch the intros and you can use save states and games works better than using whdload

sincerally now I don't like whdload installs ot JST installs....I think there are bored and I don't use them unless the game really need it

I have changed ...the real thing is WINUAE+ADF files

bye
Old 17 August 2007, 09:22   #99
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post

even on winuae I like play games using adf files....you can watch the intros and you can use save states and games works better than using whdload
yes, slower access times, disk swapping, lack of bug fixes / trainers , lack of multiple button mapping for cd32 pads et al. and having to set up different configs for different games.....

i can see why thats so much better and you prefer winuae + adfs..... you're clearly insane!

i dont mind that you prefer it, but to claim its -better- than whdload? bizarre.
Old 17 August 2007, 09:34   #100
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
yes, slower access times, disk swapping, lack of bug fixes / trainers , lack of multiple button mapping for cd32 pads et al. and having to set up different configs for different games.....

i can see why thats so much better and you prefer winuae + adfs..... you're clearly insane!

i dont mind that you prefer it, but to claim its -better- than whdload? bizarre.
button mapping for CD32 pads ? I use real cd32 isos to play it on winuae
I don't use bad cd32' hardisk 'patched 'games that requires special button mapping

Im so refined...

bye