English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 27 April 2012, 00:27   #181
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedvicio View Post
A small bug in GUI, screen attached.
Akward... yes, bug in 1.1.10 with the new data file lookup (small typo), ufortunately it "worked" for me because I had the old data files also in /usr/share/local...
Presenting...: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-uae-1.1.10u1.tar.gz
Old 27 April 2012, 00:38   #182
Speedvicio

Ok Frode, now working.
Old 27 April 2012, 00:40   #183
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Ok Frode, now working.
Oh, and thank you very much for testing so quickly. Nice to get embarassing mistakes fixed as soon as possible
Old 27 April 2012, 00:41   #184
Speedvicio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Oh, and thank you very much for testing so quickly. Nice to get embarassing mistakes fixed as soon as possible
No problem, always at your disposal
Old 27 April 2012, 00:50   #185
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
No problem, always at your disposal

A heads-up: The next version will support a new option "end_config". If this is specified, no more config files are read (after the current one). If specified on the command line (--end-config), no configuration file is read at all. This option is primarily designed for frontends creating its own complete config files.

It could be useful for G-FS-UAE, since this will prevent FS-UAE from loading for instance the Host.fs-uae config file even if it exists, and will thus make it easier for G-FS-UAE to control which options are used and which are not.
Old 27 April 2012, 00:57   #186
Speedvicio

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep in mind when I update the frontend.
In this latest version I noticed that is again the problem of synchronization between audio and video, and there was a slight drop in framerate video.
The problem is perhaps related to those instructions gl you deleted?
Old 27 April 2012, 01:08   #187
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I'll keep in mind when I update the frontend.
In this latest version I noticed that is again the problem of synchronization between audio and video, and there was a slight drop in framerate video.
The problem is perhaps related to those instructions gl you deleted?
That is a bit weird. 1.1.9 and 1.1.10 are more or less the same. The only rendering update is the removal of one glEnd, and this wasn't a serious bug either, as the OpenGL driver would just ignore this since a glBegin wasn't issued first.. The diff contains a lot of CHECK_GL_ERROR(); which would slow down rendering if it was enabled (used to find the error), but CHECK_GL_ERROR() does nothing in the released code. Would you test 1.1.9 again to be sure there is a difference in behavior?

EDIT: also check "top" -sometimes a background web page with lots of flash objects can kill performance ;-)

EDIT 2: I double-checked the diff between 1.1.9 and 1.1.10, but I did not see anything to explain lower performance. I did however find a minor issue -may as well fix it immediately, so here is 1.1.10u2:
* A couple of glColor statements were left commented out by mistake after debugging a problem (glow effect around 3d frame).
* New option "end_config" can be used to prevent loading of additional configuration files (Host.fs-uae...).
* Do not warn about "no configuration file loaded" if end_config was specified via program arguments.

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-uae-1.1.10u2.tar.gz

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 27 April 2012 at 01:23.
Old 27 April 2012, 01:18   #188
Speedvicio

Quote:
That is a bit weird. 1.1.9 and 1.1.10 are more or less the same. The only rendering update is the removal of one glEnd, and this wasn't a serious bug either, as the OpenGL driver would just ignore this since a glBegin wasn't issued first.. The diff contains a lot of CHECK_GL_ERROR(); which would slow down rendering if it was enabled (used to find the error), but CHECK_GL_ERROR() does nothing in the released code. Would you test 1.1.9 again to be sure there is a difference in behavior?

EDIT: also check "top" -sometimes a background web page with lots of flash objects can kill performance ;-)
Everything ok.
The bug is not in your emulator, but in my brain.
Been testing the new version with the upgrade of my Kubuntu to version 12.04.
Obviously, the PC was struggling because it has all the resources committed.
Old 27 April 2012, 01:29   #189
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Everything ok.
The bug is not in your emulator, but in my brain.
Been testing the new version with the upgrade of my Kubuntu to version 12.04.
Obviously, the PC was struggling because it has all the resources committed.
Well, I'm just glad FS-UAE hasn't mysteriously gotten worse

I think it is soon time to create a 1.2.0 stable release based on the latest 1.1.x release. As far as I know, the latest development release:
* is faster and more efficient than 1.0.2
* has more features and options
* has less bugs
* is compatible with more GPUs

-All good reasons to replace the "aging" 1.0.x series... Does anyone know of any major problem with 1.1.9/1.1.10 which should be fixed before creating a new 1.2.0 stable release?
Old 27 April 2012, 18:21   #190
Philantrop

Quote:
-All good reasons to replace the "aging" 1.0.x series... Does anyone know of any major problem with 1.1.9/1.1.10 which should be fixed before creating a new 1.2.0 stable release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by compiling fs-uae-1.1.10{u1,u2}
g++ obj/fs-uae-config.o obj/fs-uae-input.o obj/fs-uae-joystick.o obj/fs-uae-keyboard.o obj/fs-uae-main.o obj/fs-uae-menu.o obj/fs-uae-mouse.o obj/fs-uae-paths.o obj/fs-uae-uae_config.o obj/fs-uae-version.o obj/fs-uae-video.o obj/uae.a -Llibfsemu/out -lfsemu `sdl-config --libs` `pkg-config --libs glib-2.0 gthread-2.0` -lpng -lz -lGL -lGLU -lopenal -ldl -o out/fs-uae
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: libfsemu/out/libfsemu.a(ml_linux.o): undefined reference to symbol 'XInternAtom'
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: note: 'XInternAtom' is defined in DSO /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib64/libX11.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/fs-uae] Error 1
I'd give you a patch but I don't have a repository to clone from / patch against. :)

[Edit] Ok, ok, here's a trivial (but working) patch against 1.1.10u2.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Makefile_libX11_patch.zip (766 Bytes, 135 views)

Last edited by Philantrop; 27 April 2012 at 18:44.
Old 27 April 2012, 18:40   #191
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Version 1.1.11:
* Explicitly link against libX11 on Linux because some X functions are now used directly.
* Shift+F11 now toggles padding the viewport with 10 pixels.
* Shift+F12 now releases input focus (in addition to alt+tab and middle-click).
* F12 cannot be combined with (ctrl, shift, alt) now to open the menu, modifier keys are reserved for future shortcuts (Cmd+F12 can still be used on Mac since Mac OS "swallows" F12 if used alone).
* New option "end_config" can be used to prevent loading of additional configuration files (Host.fs-uae...).
* Do not warn about "no configuration file loaded" if end_config was specified via program arguments.
* A couple of glColor statements were left commented out by mistake after debugging a problem.

http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-uae-1.1.11.tar.gz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
I'd give you a patch but I don't have a repository to clone from / patch against.
Nice try -But diffs against the latest source tarball is always accepted.
- Thanks for the bug report though!
Old 27 April 2012, 18:53   #192
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
[Edit] Ok, ok, here's a trivial (but working) patch against 1.1.10u2.
Ah, you probably did not notice this then: "* Explicitly link against libX11 on Linux because some X functions are now used directly."
Old 27 April 2012, 18:55   #193
Philantrop

Nope, I was a bit too late - too much fiddling with git import-tarballs... ;->
Old 27 April 2012, 19:05   #194
Philantrop

Two (minor) issues with fs-uae.desktop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by /usr/bin/desktop-file-validate /usr/share/applications/fs-uae.desktop
/usr/share/applications/fs-uae.desktop: warning: value "FS-UAE Amiga Emulator" for key "Comment" in group "Desktop Entry" looks redundant with value "FS-UAE Amiga Emulator" of key "Name"
/usr/share/applications/fs-uae.desktop: error: value "System;Emulator;GTK" for string list key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" does not have a semicolon (';') as trailing character
cf. http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/

And sorry for only noticing this now.
Old 27 April 2012, 19:12   #195
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Two (minor) issues with fs-uae.desktop:
cf. http://standards.freedesktop.org/des...y-spec/latest/
And sorry for only noticing this now.
Thanks, I hadn't tested on other than Gnome 3 just yet. Changing desktop file to:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=FS-UAE               
Comment=FS-UAE Amiga Emulator
TryExec=fs-uae
Exec=fs-uae %f
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=fs-uae
Categories=System;Emulator;
Old 27 April 2012, 19:56   #196
mrseguin

Questions from a non programmer and command line person

Hi FrodeSolheim. and all the persons who make this wonderful amiga emulator getting better and better , scarifying a big part of their time for the joy of amiga fans

First of all I have to say I'm impressed how nice and simple is this emu,after you follow the getting started of course.
Lunch fast and I love just to push F12 to see the polished menu .,even on my netbook acer aspire one 522 (windows 7 with 2gigs of ram 1gz processor helped with an ati hd internet...)
So good to be able to switch betwen windows and fullscreen and changing different scaling so easily...

Secondly I'm also impressed how all of you talked about all the technical details..I have to say I'm sometimes(most of the time!) lost but its fun to read because there is so much joy from everybody to talk about this emu.

Was of course am amiga user of Win uae, amigame,amiga inside and managed to make them work after a while....
But simplicity is always better

But of course I have to say I'm really confused with some aspect, being a non line code man...

First with the joystick gamepads configurations (being recognized and modding some buttons..)its so confusing to see so many ways (because also of so many joysticks gamepads)to put some inputs...I'm sure I'm not the only one that is confused but being so easy for others people make me sometimes feeling a bit dumb...nobody is perfect...

Would LOVE so much to see a vid on youtube about somebody who go through the configuration of a classic gamepad and a non classic gamepad and mapping on some buttons some keyboards key useful for some games.
Sometimes vids are clearer than words....
Even better a vid from launching the program to finally play some games.

Second is it possible to launch different games stored in"floppies"folder?
When we launched the emu it launched the "adf" that is defined with df0 but after when I go to "removable media" it asked me to "insert in df0" but none of the adf (I copied in floppies folder)are listed..

Sorry is my questions looks a bit dumb for you guys but couldn't get the logic...

Anyway if somebody could help me to have a better understanding, would of course appreciate a lot

Big thanks again to all of you-and of course to FrodeSolheim, for all your work and passion.

Old 27 April 2012, 20:22   #197
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

First of all, thank you for your enthusiasm for FS-UAE, mrsequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseguin View Post
First with the joystick gamepads configurations (being recognized and modding some buttons..)its so confusing to see so many ways (because also of so many joysticks gamepads)to put some inputs...I'm sure I'm not the only one that is confused but being so easy for others people make me sometimes feeling a bit dumb...nobody is perfect...

Would LOVE so much to see a vid on youtube about somebody who go through the configuration of a classic gamepad and a non classic gamepad and mapping on some buttons some keyboards key useful for some games.
Sometimes vids are clearer than words....
There is a guide here: http://fengestad.no/wp/fs-uae/custom...-configuration, but it would of course be easier to follow with some screenshots and tutorial explaining each step. This is soon needless though, because I have created a configuration tool (screenshot attached). It is written in Python/wxPython. It is meant to be distributed with the upcoming launcher program, but the tool is done, and I can make a distribution of the gamepad configuration tool for Windows now if this will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseguin View Post
Second is it possible to launch different games stored in"floppies"folder?
When we launched the emu it launched the "adf" that is defined with df0 but after when I go to "removable media" it asked me to "insert in df0" but none of the adf (I copied in floppies folder)are listed..
You must manually specify the files you want to have in the floppes list, for instance:
Code:
floppy_image_0 = some game disk 1.adf
floppy_image_1 = some game disk 2.adf
floppy_image_2 = some game disk 3.adf
For multiple games, the best way would be to create a separate configuration file for each game (and floppy_image_0... options is then useful when the game has more disks than available floppy drives, for instance Monkey Island 2 with its 11 disks..). By choosing to open an .fs-uae with FS-UAE.exe (in Windows), and choosing to always open .fs-uae files in FS-UAE, you can start games by doubleclicking on the configuration files...

I am working on a launcher to help people start FS-UAE without messing with configuration files (see attached screenshot 2). It starts FS-UAE just fine, but only supports the most basic options yet. Also, the configuration browser with icons on the right side is just a mockup, and is not implemented yet -but it gives you an idea of the direction I'm planning for the launcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joyconfig.png
Views:	222
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	31404   Click image for larger version

Name:	launcher.png
Views:	208
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	31405  

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 27 April 2012 at 20:33.
Old 27 April 2012, 21:08   #198
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Gamepad configuration program for Windows:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/joyconfig.zip

Platform-independent Python program (requires wxPython and pygame):
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/files/fs-...epad-config.py

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 27 April 2012 at 21:15.
Old 27 April 2012, 21:28   #199
mrseguin

What a fast reply :)

Hi FrodeSolheim,(or should I use only Frode?)

Sorry for some mistakes in my English..Have to say since Yesterday I'm a bit sick and my eyes are not functioning as good as usual because of this..plus I'm French....
But being a bit sick is also good to go back on Amiga emulation

I have been already through the custom controller configuration but couldn't get the logic of all these..Confused with the inputs that looks so different depending on the joystick gamepad...Sometimes the brain refuses other logics...even its very clear for others..
But when you got it you just say:
"Damm was so easy...."
Will catch the logic I'm sure after a while and fortunately of my joypad I use is ok with one configuration.

Anyway as usual you are going deeper than our despair
Will wait for the upcoming launcher but will catch sooner or later the logic

Thanks for the explanations for the floppies
Its a fact that a lot of people are dreaming about just clicking on a game and the program is launching the perfect config for !(and contolled by the joystick joypad !)
If I can remember amigame [ Show youtube player ]is doing that for the config but not with joystick joypad support to navigate. I have to say I like better the way fsUAE is done (fs for frode solheim I suppose!) but they have done a great job wit amigame also.

As everybody knows to make easy needs a real hard long time and clever brain.
The paradox of making easy

I understand that its better to make different configurations for different games
-was doing these for winUAE but how do you load the different configuration easily after FSuae is loaded?(if of course its implemented and possible)
As you precise the configuration browser its just a mock-up so....

But again you already thought on this with you future launcher

What can I say more than hope you will still have the time and the passion to continue to go deeply in the simplicity and efficiency for the dream of a lot of Amiga retro gamer
Waiting also your game center !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: not related to Fs uae but if somebody know how to finish the first level of"arabian nights" of course on amiga with 100%(already posted this request on recordedamigagames) i will be an happy man(tried maybe more than 100 times and the best so far was 92%...and have no idea how this percentage is working cause sometimes I have the feeling making the same game and obtain dofferent percentage...make me crazy...)

PPS:Again thanks for your emu and if one day you plan to come to Washington DC you will have a place to stay with food(no frozen pizza sorry I'm french and like to cook...)and drinks !(wine and beer because I'm half french half german...)

Old 27 April 2012, 21:29   #200
mrseguin

again you are FAST