English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 March 2016, 12:49   #61
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
When you wrote that cracktro for Lemmings (Skid Row) did you have any idea that this would become one of the most widely remembered and most oftenly seen cracktros on the Amiga? Probably by hundreds of thousands gamers...

Would you have done something differently if you had known that this would become one of the top 3 cracktros that really everybody knows?
Maybe removed the "Dan/Anarchy" sprites at the bottom

I think I wrote this intro a little time before I got a job in the games industry
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 14:27   #62
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: On your mainboard
Posts: 107
Were there ever any plans of giving Wonderdog a CD32 treatment? Like Chuck Rock II, this should've been really simple to convert to the CD32 because they could've just taken the CD audio and cartoon intro from the MegaCD version to create a really enhanced version... I've always wondered why this never materialized. Instead they created lame CD32 conversions for Dragonstone and Skeleton Krew...
mc68060 is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 14:44   #63
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Were there ever any plans of giving Wonderdog a CD32 treatment? Like Chuck Rock II, this should've been really simple to convert to the CD32 because they could've just taken the CD audio and cartoon intro from the MegaCD version to create a really enhanced version... I've always wondered why this never materialized. Instead they created lame CD32 conversions for Dragonstone and Skeleton Krew...
I don't know. As far as I remember, most of the CD32 versions (particularly of the older games) were outsourced (perhaps to Rob Northen). Never knew why only certain games made it to CD32. Wonderdog would have been nice, but seems that someone already did this anyway

I would have liked if Core had maybe carried on for another year, for maybe another round of Amiga games... Chuck Rock 3 could have been a real nice CD32 / 1200+ game
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 16:58   #64
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 41
Posts: 7,853
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
what would have you done on a 1200 setup with chuck rock 3 ? What kind of effects, colors, sprites, you would have for example done ?
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 17:08   #65
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
what would have you done on a 1200 setup with chuck rock 3 ? What kind of effects, colors, sprites, you would have for example done ?
Don't know

I guess the obvious answer is 16 colours dual playfield... maybe some funky sprite mulitplexer to make as much use of the extra wide sprites as possible. Maybe more layers of parallax in the background playfield... make the background scroll 8 ways (was just left/right on A500).

I certainly think that an a1200 is capable of producing something well on par with the best Megadrive games, possibly even the SNES (apart from the mode 7...i guess it is do-able in some way...)

Last edited by DanScott; 06 March 2016 at 17:14.
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 17:24   #66
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 41
Posts: 7,853
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
brian the lion is doing in fact better than the mode 7 of the SNES console. The mode 7 on snes is based on 360° rotations, the amiga is doing those in 1024° rotations.
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 17:42   #67
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
brian the lion is doing in fact better than the mode 7 of the SNES console. The mode 7 on snes is based on 360° rotations, the amiga is doing those in 1024° rotations.
The "LOGO" at the start? This is not mode 7, but a kind of "skew" algorithm.. it looks nice and is smooth
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 17:59   #68
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 41
Posts: 7,853
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
you must go further in the game to meet those effects. the rotations in brian the lion are made with the copper
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:07   #69
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
you must go further in the game to meet those effects. the rotations in brian the lion are made with the copper
Yes, the in-game ones I saw, were bitplane line picking tricks.. or so it seemed

But certainly no "real" mode 7 effect can be done quick and easy...
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:15   #70
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 41
Posts: 7,853
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Yes, the in-game ones I saw, were bitplane line picking tricks.. or so it seemed

But certainly no "real" mode 7 effect can be done quick and easy...
Michael troughton did some research about this. The Amiga can do it better than the snes XD.

I have found the article in a UK magazine, where Martin Edmonson explains the whole thing.

Brian the lion use all the effects of the snes like de-resing, zooming, and mode 7.
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:18   #71
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
A similar trick was done on the Megadrive Chuck Rock 2, skewing using the vertical and horizontal scroll registers every 8 pixels horizontal and vertically...

[ Show youtube player ]
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:21   #72
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Michael troughton did some research about this. The Amiga can do it better than the snes XD.

I have found the article in a UK magazine, where Martin Edmonson explains the whole thing.

Brian the lion use all the effects of the snes like de-resing, zooming, and mode 7.
Haha... believe me... what you see on the amiga are just tricks that "look" like things from the SNES mode 7 They have a very limited and fixed scope of usage, and certainly nowhere near the flexibility of the mode 7
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:27   #73
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France
dlfrsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melun nearby Paris/France
Age: 41
Posts: 7,853
Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
you know the guy, it's kreator/anarchy !

here is what the coder said :

"...by the way on the Nintendo (SNES), you can rotate round in increments of 1 degree, so you can rotate through 360 positions.with our system you can rotate through 512 to 1024 (degrees), which looks smoother.It's also a much cleaner rotation than the SNES.If you randomly pick an angle, and do same on SNES, it'll look much cleaner on the Amiga-the ones on the Nintendo are broken apart and there are bits hanging off......Rotation takes any size block from 16X16 to full screen and rotates it through 1024 degrees, which is about 3X more than anything SNES can do'
dlfrsilver is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 18:34   #74
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
you know the guy, it's kreator/anarchy !

here is what the coder said :

"...by the way on the Nintendo (SNES), you can rotate round in increments of 1 degree, so you can rotate through 360 positions.with our system you can rotate through 512 to 1024 (degrees), which looks smoother.It's also a much cleaner rotation than the SNES.If you randomly pick an angle, and do same on SNES, it'll look much cleaner on the Amiga-the ones on the Nintendo are broken apart and there are bits hanging off......Rotation takes any size block from 16X16 to full screen and rotates it through 1024 degrees, which is about 3X more than anything SNES can do'
As i said, it's still a trick done with skewing lines horizontally and vertically, it can be done as smooth as you want, but it is still a trick, and is not "real" scan converted rotation.

I believe the SNES mode 7 uses 8:8 fixed point maths.. which is where the innacuracy comes in... anyway..I don't want to argue this point any more, it's a little off-topic
DanScott is offline  
Old 06 March 2016, 22:05   #75
s2325
Zone Friend

s2325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gargore
Age: 38
Posts: 17,789
There is new longplay of Amiga Corx which have something similar to mode 7 but simplified [ Show youtube player ] It's really smooth even on split screen.
s2325 is offline  
Old 07 March 2016, 03:44   #76
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
There is new longplay of Amiga Corx which have something similar to mode 7 but simplified [ Show youtube player ] It's really smooth even on split screen.
Yes, that's done with the copper 100%... look for a demo callled "freddy's back" or something similar.. from 1990/1991
DanScott is offline  
Old 08 March 2016, 00:06   #77
Asle
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Paris/France
Age: 47
Posts: 414
I jump in. Maybe you answered that already but I must still ask. Do you still have original music material from your demo (and game) days ?
Some examples : Groovy by Lemon. (http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=9885), Blastar musics, etc.
Would be great to finally have the original protracker
Asle is offline  
Old 14 March 2016, 23:46   #78
lost dragon
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 15
Sorry for vyet another long shot, but...

Chris Hulsbeck, told Edge Magazine he'd spent a week converting the soundtracks to Jaguar XJ220 to the SNES, working in 256K, before being told he'd only have 50% of that in reality on the SNES cart to fit them on, so he had to redo them all, prior to this, i only knew of the abandoned Atari ST version.Did work on the SNES version ever get started that your aware of?.
lost dragon is offline  
Old 16 March 2016, 09:45   #79
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asle View Post
I jump in. Maybe you answered that already but I must still ask. Do you still have original music material from your demo (and game) days ?
Some examples : Groovy by Lemon. (http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=9885), Blastar musics, etc.
Would be great to finally have the original protracker

No, I don't have anything to hand any more. Hopefully one day, I will try and get the contents of some Amiga disks dumped to ADF files, assuming that they still contain readable data.
DanScott is offline  
Old 16 March 2016, 09:47   #80
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

DanScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost dragon View Post
Sorry for vyet another long shot, but...

Chris Hulsbeck, told Edge Magazine he'd spent a week converting the soundtracks to Jaguar XJ220 to the SNES, working in 256K, before being told he'd only have 50% of that in reality on the SNES cart to fit them on, so he had to redo them all, prior to this, i only knew of the abandoned Atari ST version.Did work on the SNES version ever get started that your aware of?.
I am not sure... I think it *might* have been started.

Also there was a full 3D jaguar racing game started, before the lotus "style" version was started, using the engine from Thunderhawk. Whether any demo of this still exists is anyones guess
DanScott is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dojo Dan Competition Version Cauterize Amiga scene 1 30 May 2010 19:17
Dojo Dan - Level 4 boss? Fingerlickin_B support.Games 0 17 April 2007 16:42
Dan Dare 3 Carlos Ace support.WinUAE 3 25 August 2002 14:37
Dan Dare Whdload version Carlos Ace request.Old Rare Games 3 25 August 2002 14:23

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09353 seconds with 13 queries