English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 19 April 2013, 19:46   #21
emufan

ok. good news

WhichAmiga locks your system - thats not good. since it is gathering information of expansion boards - it might run into trouble this way.
can you ensure all jumpers are set properly, terminating the scsi chain, unique LUn/SCSI-IDs?

does showconfig list information, without freezing?

on the hardware website their mention boards , they had to sent back to phase5 - do you have such device ( compare serial numbers / SN# A400001 - A400094)?

could you test the AsimCDFS_v3.90a.dms cdrom filesystem - at least the scsi-inquire tool, to have another tool, to get scsi information?

if you insert a normal cdrom - maybe a windows install cd or whatever - open some folders and test , if the system does also freeze.

somehow you can disable the blizzard board ("by keystroke on systemstart") - if you disable it, are u still able to use the cdrom?

do you have a memory replacement? maybe it is faulty. no clue offhand.
maybe run the system without memory expansion - will be slow, but should work ( remove the memory cards from the blizzard board )
will run with chip memory only, just to test if system does freeze too.

*removed mem tests, too confusing - i do get errors on my winuae - emulated amiga - of no help this way*

*important* if you feel unsafe with things i suggest, just skip them

Last edited by emufan; 19 April 2013 at 20:39.
Old 19 April 2013, 21:42   #22
tesla

Hi,

You gave me a lot of things to check, (and, no, I don't feel uncomfortable with any of them).

I have two things to check first,

The Synchron auto enable jumper.

Next, the memory.

I added additional memory that I had collected over the years. I'm wondering now if it's causing problems.
Old 19 April 2013, 22:15   #23
emufan

i saw your posting about 68040 / 68060 . if you have a 68040 on your board at the moment, you must remove the 4 680x0 libraries from libs:
in case of 68040 hardware you must only have a 68040.library in libs:

you can use the original from commodore (inside my phase5.lha):
rename 68040old.library 68040.library

but ask in the thread above. they have more experiences.
Old 20 April 2013, 14:32   #24
tesla

Ok,

I think from what has been said, that I should remove most of my 680x0 libraries files from the libs directory? but then you say rename 68040old.library [to] 68040.library?

Is that correct?

That (from memory) jibs with the advice given in the Blizzard manual.

The thing that had me going all this time was the Blizzard board itself. Looking at the back, (The CPU is covered with a glued-on heatsink) it says 2060, which of course means it is has a 68060 installed.

However, from talking to another guy, DCE used the almost identical board for both the 040 and 060, and DCE offered to convert your 040 to 060 for a fee.

From what he has said, the only difference is the clock crystal used, (040 has a 80mhz, 060 has a 50mhz) and a voltage regulator added to the 060 ver. board.

I would like to [someday] convert this board to a 060, but after hearing about the fakes being sold on ebay by the Chinese, and seeing almost all of the 060's on Ebay having a Chinese seller, I think I will hold-off for now.
Old 21 April 2013, 22:35   #25
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
Ok,

I think from what has been said, that I should remove most of my 680x0 libraries files from the libs directory? but then you say rename 68040old.library [to] 68040.library?

Is that correct?
yes, the "old" was the original made by commodore.

Quote:
I would like to [someday] convert this board to a 060, but after hearing about the fakes being sold on ebay by the Chinese, and seeing almost all of the 060's on Ebay having a Chinese seller, I think I will hold-off for now.
cannot say much about the device, but upgrading to 060 must be your goal
Old 22 April 2013, 07:30   #26
Cymru

I need help!

Ask for a good 060 on Amibay or here in the Misc/MarketPlace