English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 November 2018, 14:23   #1
Foebane

High-score tables in retro computer games must've been pointless

High-score tables, I always figured, were best implemented in arcade video game machines, where the machines would be turned on in the morning and stay on until night, and many people would play them and get high scores and record them onto the high-score tables for posterity. I can understand that's the main use for them, but I don't know how many of those machines had non-volatile memory to keep those scores when the power was turned off.

But for home computer games and arcade conversions, I really am baffled why they were included, especially if they were lost when the power was cut, and that the game would only be on for a short time and be played by usually just one player. Maybe it was to retain the look and feel of the arcade version for authenticity, but to me, a high-score table on home computers, especially those that loaded from tape AND has so many entries in the list AND was easily lost when the computer was turned off, is as used and useful as an elastic measuring tape, ie. not very.

Of course, some later 16-bit games saved the scores on floppy disks, so that was more useful, but I'm still baffled why (1) so many entries in the table, and (2) why would tables have the same score throughout the list?

Discuss.
Old 10 November 2018, 19:30   #2
rothers

I loved games which saved the high score. I remember my gran got the high score on some excellent columns clone from a coverdisk and I spent weeks trying to beat her.

She's still a gamer now at 83!

For games which saved high scores - thank you awesome coders, I love the idea that my old Amiga disks may still well load up those top scores to this day.
Old 10 November 2018, 19:57   #3
Solo Kazuki

Not necessary it's pointless... especially in C=64/128 games. Many games have added hi-score savers (on game disk).
Old 10 November 2018, 20:06   #4
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I loved games which saved the high score. I remember my gran got the high score on some excellent columns clone from a coverdisk and I spent weeks trying to beat her.

That is awesome! Gran Gamer!
Old 11 November 2018, 16:20   #5
WayneK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post

For games which saved high scores - thank you awesome coders, I love the idea that my old Amiga disks may still well load up those top scores to this day.

It works both ways, once when I was home for Xmas I more than doubled my Mum's best score on Tetris on the Nintendo DS - she never played it again... :P