English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 November 2018, 16:06   #21
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRetroGaming View Post
It's fine, I managed to get it printed for £16 off-white ABS
I have plugged it all in but no lights on the Ethernet, what characteristics does it have? does it need to be telling the lan to access before it lights up?
I have no tcp/ip stack installed either, what do I need, maybe it's something to do with this?

16Gb SD still not recognised even shrinking, ordered a 4Gb - fingers crossed.

Did you install the drivers and setup the network, i have never ever used network on an amiga (only thing was serial for Stunt car racer so i cant help too much with this

Also. what module are you using ? (part # etc )

@puggsy - Amiga on the lake in NY has some and will be selling them soon.

Last edited by kipper2k; 29 November 2018 at 16:33.
Old 30 November 2018, 10:38   #22
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Thumbs up Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Did you install the drivers and setup the network, i have never ever used network on an amiga (only thing was serial for Stunt car racer so i cant help too much with this

Also. what module are you using ? (part # etc )

@puggsy - Amiga on the lake in NY has some and will be selling them soon.

Hi Kip, thanks for the quick response.
It's the following LAN module: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111235463880
I haven't installed TCP/IP, but I have installed the two *.device and put them into the DEVS: folder.
It says something on the bottom of Mike's page about SANA2 drivers not being included or something, I have no idea on how to generate these, maybe this is an issue too (something missing from the *.device?)

He quotes this on the bottom of the driver download page:
Edit 7 May 2018: It was pointed out that the SANA2 header file does not have a GPL-compatible licence on it, so that file has been removed from the device drivers repository. You can still build the network driver if you find sana2.h and place it in ‘net’ yourself. As the API is published I will get around to writing a GPL-clean header at some point.

I'll install the TCP/IP stack first, I just thought the LAN lights would be lit anyway.

Thanks bud, I'll get on this Saturday at some point, awaiting that 4Gb card so I can do everything all at once and create a massive post and headache for you lot again hahah... jokes, I just want to see it running.

Thanks again bud, your help/time is much appreciated!
Ant
Old 30 November 2018, 22:43   #23
Allen1

Is it me or does that card have the pinouts on the wrong side ie VCC where GND is etc look on post 17 in this thread for pinouts or better still your A1200SDE.

Your card
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111235463880

My card (not here for a while)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENC28J60-....c100005.m1851
Old 30 November 2018, 22:50   #24
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
It says something on the bottom of Mike's page about SANA2 drivers not being included or something, I have no idea on how to generate these, maybe this is an issue too (something missing from the *.device?)

Edit 7 May 2018: It was pointed out that the SANA2 header file does not have a GPL-compatible licence on it, so that file has been removed from the device drivers repository. You can still build the network driver if you find sana2.h and place it in ‘net’ yourself. As the API is published I will get around to writing a GPL-clean header at some point.
You're all good here man, that only matters if you're compiling from source - I'm assuming you're using the drivers in the 'ready to go' state
Old 01 December 2018, 11:41   #25
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Hi guys, just a quick one - received the 4Gb SD card today, it's formatted in FAT32, put it in, ran SD0 from DEVS:Storage and nothing.
Is there supposed to be a line in startup-sequence?

I'm guessing I need to install Workbench 3.5 at least for the TCP/IP thing.
I'll do that in a bit.

As for the wiring @Allen1 I wired it direct to the header pins and heat shrinked each pin, so they should be fine.
I will re-check my connections with a continuity test.
Old 01 December 2018, 11:55   #26
Allen1

[QUOTE=As for the wiring @Allen1 I wired it direct to the header pins and heat shrinked each pin, so they should be fine.
I will re-check my connections with a continuity test.[/QUOTE]

Phew that's good to hear

I had seen another connection which was using a ribbon cable and I think that would work with the version of LAN card I bought and its only then noticed that the two cards ie yours and mine looked like they were wired differently pinwise. I still hope I am wrong about the pinouts being wrong for a ribbon cable to be used.
Old 01 December 2018, 14:38   #27
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Ok update -

Installed 3.5OS, tcp/ip, miami, aweb2, idefix97 to my cf hdd via WinUAE.
When put into the A1200 I have a 'invalid resident library' error flash up quick on boot before it hangs and workbench stops.
I have checked my roms, they are 3.0, 39.106

WinUAE is using 3.1, 40.68 - maybe 3.5OS has picked this up and installed something based on the rom? grrrrrrrr

This is becoming a pain in the ass.
Old 01 December 2018, 17:09   #28
Daedalus

OS 3.5 requires 3.1 ROMs to run. You don't need 3.5 to have a TCP stack, any of the big ones will run just fine under 3.0 or 3.1 as well.
Old 01 December 2018, 19:19   #29
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
OS 3.5 requires 3.1 ROMs to run. You don't need 3.5 to have a TCP stack, any of the big ones will run just fine under 3.0 or 3.1 as well.
Ok thanks

I have made a bit of progress, @Allen1 there was some truth in your VCC message.
Solidcore got hold of me and explained the following... I hope this helps someone.

My Ethernet needed a +5v supply, +3.3v is not enough, so re-routed the VCC line as shown above and hey presto...

Note to get my backplate on I had to slightly file down my ethernet hole and snip the legs off to get it past the Amiga's casing...

Nearly there!... still working on getting this bloody 4Gb SD recognised and tcp/ip stack going - I'll update again soon.
Thanks for the help guys... Ant
Old 02 December 2018, 00:33   #30
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Ok, still no joy with the SD card, given up as I have 3.0 ROMs, maybe it's something to do with that as Solidcore says he has a 3.1/3.9 switcher
I'll buy 3.1 ROMs and re-post later.
I have installed Roadshow demo version just to try and get something running, no point spending £25 yet if it's bugged or won't work.
I had a yellow flash from the other LED when roadshow is installed and have tried making the config file and adding it, but it's a nightmare - even with DHCP lines added.

Solidcore says he is using Miami, so I'll go down that route with the 3.1 ROMs also.
I'll keep you all posted as you're going to hit the same issues (maybe).

Ant
Old 02 December 2018, 14:13   #31
Allen1

Your micro sd card wouldn't happen to be a SDHC by any chance?
The driver for our memory cards SD usage may not be SDHC capable/compatible and that could be the source of your problem. If that is the case then Ebay is your friend and 2GB micro sd cards go from £2.99 upwards, if you have an older camera or PDA with an sd card, then you could maybe give that a go with your card and see if that does the trick

I used a 2GB card from my old PDA.
Take a look at this:

https://www.integralmemory.com/faq/c...c-and-sd-cards
Old 03 December 2018, 14:24   #32
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Your micro sd card wouldn't happen to be a SDHC by any chance?
The driver for our memory cards SD usage may not be SDHC capable/compatible and that could be the source of your problem. If that is the case then Ebay is your friend and 2GB micro sd cards go from £2.99 upwards, if you have an older camera or PDA with an sd card, then you could maybe give that a go with your card and see if that does the trick

I used a 2GB card from my old PDA.
Take a look at this:

https://www.integralmemory.com/faq/c...c-and-sd-cards

Ahhhh yes they are, bugger. I'll order a non SDHC then.
Thanks @Allen1
Old 03 December 2018, 17:58   #33
Allen1

I forgot to mention that the micro SD cards can also be found in mobile phones, so if you have an old one of them hanging about and its capacity is 4GB or less then it may save you some time in finding one at a reasonable price.

Most of the older phones I had, had 128MB or 500MB unless you upgraded to a bigger card.
Old 04 December 2018, 01:13   #34
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Hi Kip, thanks for the quick response.
It's the following LAN module: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111235463880
I haven't installed TCP/IP, but I have installed the two *.device and put them into the DEVS: folder.

I'll install the TCP/IP stack first, I just thought the LAN lights would be lit anyway.

Thanks bud, I'll get on this Saturday at some point, awaiting that 4Gb card so I can do everything all at once and create a massive post and headache for you lot again hahah... jokes, I just want to see it running.

Thanks again bud, your help/time is much appreciated!
Ant
By doing a search, there is a Github page for the SANA2.h file. I have managed to download it although I'm not sure it is of any use as it will need compiling. Did you over this issue by any chance and if so, how?
Old 04 December 2018, 15:52   #35
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
I forgot to mention that the micro SD cards can also be found in mobile phones, so if you have an old one of them hanging about and its capacity is 4GB or less then it may save you some time in finding one at a reasonable price.

Most of the older phones I had, had 128MB or 500MB unless you upgraded to a bigger card.

Exactly... I had a 16Gb in my Note 3 haha
Old 04 December 2018, 16:00   #36
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
By doing a search, there is a Github page for the SANA2.h file. I have managed to download it although I'm not sure it is of any use as it will need compiling. Did you over this issue by any chance and if so, how?

Thanks bud, again... that's exactly it. I have no idea what to do with it.
It's a funny place this... where the designers/engineers have tested and have the knowledge - and in a funny way it's expected to know this type of stuff.
I'm more the 'guy who walks into a computer store' kind of level haha.

I think @Indigolmon said that if you downloaded the drivers on Mike's page in the 'as is' state, then I'm good to go.
Here on this post: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=24

So I'm guessing it's just the 3.1 ROM I need to install 3.5OS and get the tcp/ip stack the devs were using on this project.
Roadshow seems WAAAAY too complicated for guys like me.

I've ordered the 3.X, 45.065 ROMs from Amigakit... just waiting now.
Some nice fixes on those ROMs apparently.

Again, thanks for the help guys...
Old 04 December 2018, 17:15   #37
Daedalus

All TCP stacks are complicated unfortunately, which isn't helped by Roadshow's lack of a GUI (on 68K at least). But if you install MUI, MiamiDX is excellent and fully configurable through the GUI, and works just fine under 3.0. The downsides are that it doesn't fully support DHCP, so you might have to use static IP addresses, and it's quite slow compared to Roadshow.
Old 04 December 2018, 21:11   #38
patrik

Hi guys,

I noticed that there is code for two test-programs in the repo: spinet-test and spisd-test. However, they were not present in the original pre-compiled package, so i compiled and created archives with both drivers and test-programs:
http://megaburken.net/~patrik/k1208-drivers-0_2-000.lha
http://megaburken.net/~patrik/k1208-drivers-0_2-020.lha

Perhaps those might say something useful if executed, like confirm whether the connection to the ethernet chip and SD card is working?

Usually this kind of software requires that no device driver is loaded as they poke the same hardware, so move away any Roadshow Devs/NetInterface/ file using spinet.device and any Devs/DosDrivers/ file using spisd.device and reboot before running them.

I also compiled an 68020 version of everything in a separate archive. The original package is compiled for 68000, which should be unecessary for the A1200 and only result in bigger and slower code. If there for an unknown reason would be an issue with the 68020 versions, I made both as I cannot test them lacking the hardware.
Old 06 December 2018, 00:56   #39
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

@Daedalus Thanks bud... much appreciated. Indigolemon PM'd me wanting to help configure Roadshow. I could try it before going elsewhere. If I don't end up using it I will probably post the config and write the help out so people don't end up with my troubles lol

@patrik That's really handy! I'll give it a go tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 06 December 2018, 21:10   #40
patrik

There seems to be some talk about Roadshow being complicated to configure. Let me walk you through it in a few steps.

1. Install Roadshow.
2. Place spinet.device in DEVS:Networks/

As the SPI network card on the A1208SDE+ is quite new, there is no ready-made NetInterface file for it shipped with Roadshow, so we need to create one. I will base it on the A2065 NetInterface file.

3. Copy Storage/NetInterfaces/A2065 to DEVS:NetInterfaces/ (also copy the A2065.info for the icon for completeness)
4. Rename it to spinet or what you feel the interface should be called.
5. Open the spinet NetInterface file in an editor and change the "device=a2065.device" line to "device=spinet.device".

If you intend to use DHCP, you are done - the NetInterface file is configured to use DHCP by default. In that case skip to 10.

If you intend to use a static IP address, you need the following information:
- A unique IP address for your Amiga to use on your local network.
- The IP address of your gateway (router).
- The IP address of your DNS/name server (often the router).

6. Open the spinet NetInterface file in an editor and comment out the "configure=dhcp" line by putting a hash (#) character at the beginning of the line.
7. Uncomment the "#address=192.168.0.1" line and change 192.168.0.1 to the IP address you intend to use for your Amiga.
8. Open DEVS:Internet/routes in an editor, uncomment the "#default localhost" line and change localhost to the IP address of your gateway.
9. Open DEVS:Internet/name_resolution in an editor, uncomment the line "#nameserver 192.168.0.1" and change 192.168.0.1 to the IP address of your DNS/name server.

10. Reboot and enjoy your network.

Last edited by patrik; 06 December 2018 at 21:27.