English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 May 2015, 19:11   #1
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Hard Disks Show as Unitialised after every reboot?

My A4000's hard disk died the other day, so I've been attempting to restore my backups using a new 160GB Hard disk.

I prepped it using PFSAIO using HDToolbox from OS 3.9 on WinUAE. All went fine, until I put the disk in my A4000.

It will not see DH1 and DH2!

DH0: is a 1.9GB system volume formatted with PFS3 (AIO)
DH1: is 100GB
DH3: is 40GB

I had the same set up in my old disk for a long time without issues. I have fresh installed IDEFIX and my CD-ROM is working, but I cannot get hard disk working properly.

I have tried formatting and setting up in UAE, that works fine, but the Amiga always shows DH1: Unitialized and DH2: Unitialized on the Workbench.

If I go into HDToolbox (os 3.9) on my A4000 itself, I have tried deleting the partitions and remaking them, reboot, then quick format them. The volumes then work fine, and I can copy data to them etc... until I reboot!

Every time I reboot they come back up as unitialized!

But If i use the disk in UAE I can see the partitions and files the Amiga copied.

I'm ready to throw the Amiga out of the window soon, I have spent 3 days trying to get this working, and I'm out of ideas.

PLEASE help anyone?
Old 20 May 2015, 22:28   #2
thomas

How old is this IDEfix software you are using? Looks like this software has a 2 GB problem instead of the usual 4 GB problem. If you really need IDEfix you should use the latest version of IDEfix97 from Aminet. If you only have a CD drive on the second channel of the 4-way adapter, then you can run with atapi.device only and remove IDEfix. If you don't have a 4-way adapter, you don't need IDEfix at all if you use OS 3.9.

Can you quote the beginning of your startup-sequence, including all occurences of IDEfix and SetPatch.

In WinUAE do you use IDE or UAE controller? The latter does not have a 4GB problem so it is no miracle that all works fine with it.

As a quick workaround you could try these commands in s:user-startup:

diskchange dh1:
diskchange dh2:
Old 21 May 2015, 00:06   #3
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
How old is this IDEfix software you are using? Looks like this software has a 2 GB problem instead of the usual 4 GB problem. If you really need IDEfix you should use the latest version of IDEfix97 from Aminet. If you only have a CD drive on the second channel of the 4-way adapter, then you can run with atapi.device only and remove IDEfix. If you don't have a 4-way adapter, you don't need IDEfix at all if you use OS 3.9.

Can you quote the beginning of your startup-sequence, including all occurences of IDEfix and SetPatch.

In WinUAE do you use IDE or UAE controller? The latter does not have a 4GB problem so it is no miracle that all works fine with it.

As a quick workaround you could try these commands in s:user-startup:

diskchange dh1:
diskchange dh2:
I'm using the version of IDEFIX off Aminet

http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/IDEfix97

1999 version, is there a newer one?

I reformatted DH1 and DH2 as SFS partitions and seems to work ok now, so maybe a bug/fault with PFS?
Old 21 May 2015, 00:55   #4
luy32

I had the same problem with my a1200 with an IBM 2,5" hdd that was from an old laptop...
cant remember the size ....
at every boot up some partition had become uninitialised what ever I tried .
I have used only FFS from the wb 3.1

later i got a CF solution and works till today fine...
Old 21 May 2015, 01:15   #5
techguruuk
Dan Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by luy32 View Post
I had the same problem with my a1200 with an IBM 2,5" hdd that was from an old laptop...
cant remember the size ....
at every boot up some partition had become uninitialised what ever I tried .
I have used only FFS from the wb 3.1

later i got a CF solution and works till today fine...
Hmm I had an 8 gig CF Card but soon filled it, I have about 50GB in use so need a hard disk really. It worked fine on my last system.

As I said, I managed to solve it by using PFS for DH0: and SFS for DH1: and 2.

Odd, but hey at least it works. Probably a PFS bug.
Old 21 May 2015, 01:28   #6
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Have you tried patching and loading -loadmodule- the scsi.device with Doobrey's one?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62861

Also you don't say -clearly- if you are using another file system for the rest of partitions. I asume you use PFS3AIO for all of them. Have you checked the options you've got selected are the right ones -should be the same of the working first partition-

Last edited by Retrofan; 21 May 2015 at 01:36.