English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 March 2007, 14:14   #1
ulli.amitown

Soundproblems with winuae

Hi Members, hi Toni!

Since I opend my page last year and project my workbenches with winuae, me and a friend having problems with the soundemulation from winuae. When we try to play different sounds (aiff-samples, 8svx-samples, mp3, etc. - gamesounds are including -) the sound is lag behind the playing-event. Will say: When we play a sample, 2 or 3 seconds later the sound begans to jerk. Early we have this probs only with samples. Since Winuae 1.4.0/1.4.1 our problems has expanded to gamesounds (like pinball dreams/ilussions etc.) It is fearsome to hear the samples and/or the gamesound. So playing games does not make fun anymore.

Toni (or anyone) what's the problem and what can we do to have normal sound ? Oh I forget: our sounddrivers are firstly the "primary sounddriver" and secondly the "Vinyl AC'97 Audio (Wave)"-driver.

Need help very much!

Old 25 March 2007, 12:49   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulli.amitown
"Vinyl AC'97 Audio (Wave)"
Can't help, sorry but this is not the first time this exact same sound card has been reported having problems... (btw, attach/email winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt)

Tried deleting (moving) all files in configurations-directory and using 100% default config + possibly changing sound buffer size?

Old configurations may not be compatible, especially if they are from really old versions.
Old 25 March 2007, 15:28   #3
_Steve_

I have had a problem like this on my own system for some time. I have not as yet tracked down what causes it.

In my case I have a hardfile booting a more or less plain OS3.9 and a windows directory with a customised OS3.9. When booting from the hardfile, all sound is faultless, but when booting from the directory, the sound always stutters and repeats itself over and over until you hit F12 and then resume. It gets worse if you lower the buffer size, corrupting and repeating as it goes along.

I have a SoundBlaster Audigy Z2 in my system. The same config file is loaded to boot either hardfile or directory, so it is more probable something else is causing the problem.

I have attached the last logs from when I used WinUAE booting from the directory.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.0 KB, 136 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (21.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 27 March 2007, 16:34   #4
ulli.amitown

Hi members, hi Toni!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Can't help, sorry but this is not the first time this exact same sound card has been reported having problems... (btw, attach/email winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt)

Tried deleting (moving) all files in configurations-directory and using 100% default config + possibly changing sound buffer size?

Old configurations may not be compatible, especially if they are from really old versions.
Sorry Toni. Since my PC has crashed last time, I rebuild all my winuae-projects. Also my configs are fresh! Unfortunaly our (my) sound problems are allthough present.

Do you say that we must by pricy soundcards, solely because Winuae can't manage our sounddrivers ? Sorry Toni, but I'm a little bit angry about your answer. Please tell me exactly, which soundcards will be handeld without problems. However next weekend I will sit down and make new soundtests to send you logfiles.

Old 27 March 2007, 16:47   #5
ceztko

Quote:
...solely because Winuae can't manage our sounddrivers ?
Did you consider that, exactly for this reason, probably are your drivers that have a problem? Or you assume that the manufacture of your sound card produce 100% bug free software?

Quote:
Do you say that we must by pricy soundcards...
On the e-commerce under home:
...SOUND B. CREATIVE AUDIGY SE BULK 30SB057000000 7.1 channels (without S/P-DIF) , Price: 25,64 €
Old 27 March 2007, 17:25   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

You can have your money back if you think getting angry is the solution

But if not.. lets start from scratch...

Do you get sound problems if you run something "simple", for example some A500 game with static picture (main menu for example), no loading from disk and music playing?

If it plays fine -> nothing to do with sound card or driver.

btw, you really didn't tell anything about your settings, like did you try different buffer sizes..
Old 27 March 2007, 20:11   #7
ulli.amitown

Hi members, hi Toni!

Quote:
You can have your money back if you think getting angry is the solution
Which money ?

Geeting angry because I may not read "Can't help" from a programmer.
Particularly not from an expert who wrote a so awesome program named winuae. Okay ?

Quote:
But if not.. lets start from scratch...

Do you get sound problems if you run something "simple", for example some A500 game with static picture (main menu for example), no loading from disk and music playing?

If it plays fine -> nothing to do with sound card or driver.

btw, you really didn't tell anything about your settings, like did you try different buffer sizes..
I have tested so many setups with so many different configs and amiga-os's and software, that I don't now what I try as next.

But it's true, a diskgame (have tested it with "Shufflepuck cafe") runs perfectly.

Therefore I don't now what's the real problem with the sound by playing it from complete loaded wb's. Do you ?

But how I've said, I will test so many things again next weekend!

Old 01 April 2007, 11:53   #8
ulli.amitown

Hi members, hi Toni!

Quote:
I have tested so many setups with so many different configs and amiga-os's and software, that I don't now what I try as next.
Have resumed my tests today and at last I have success.

Have looked to the setting of amikit and hav assumed these settings for my projects. Now all my soundproblems are coming to an end.

Thanks so much and no offense!

Old 06 April 2007, 16:04   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Have looked to the setting of amikit and hav assumed these settings for my projects. Now all my soundproblems are coming to an end.
It would be nice to know what was the setting that caused the problems. (to prevent this same question popping again later)
Old 08 April 2007, 13:22   #10
derSammler

Quote:
Hi members, hi Toni!

Which money ?
That's the point. WinUAE is *free*, so you should be happy with what you get and not blame the programmer for some weird behaviour caused by low-quality sound hardware.