English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 September 2003, 04:02   #1
SeeD32

Unhappy Corrupt FastFileSystem

Trying to install a new HD to my amiga (CD32+SX1 8meg fast+2fdd).
HDtoolbox on workbench3.1 says that the Fast File System is either missing or corrupt. It seems to be there, but I'd be really happy if anyone could upload a fully working latest FFS file into the zone.

I've tried using Smart File System, but can't get HDtoolbox to set it up properly (keeps changing back to FFS when I try setting it to Custom File System etc.

Help with this would be appreciated, but mainly I'm looking for the FFS file.

Many Thanks!
Old 01 September 2003, 09:20   #2
thomas

Re: Corrupt FastFileSystem

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeD32
Trying to install a new HD to my amiga (CD32+SX1 8meg fast+2fdd).
HDtoolbox on workbench3.1 says that the Fast File System is either missing or corrupt.
This message comes when the file FastFileSystem cannot be found in the L: assign. Ignore it in the first run (FFS is in Kickstart ROM, too) and after that go to the "Add/Update" dialogue and add the FastFileSystem from where it is stored (usually in the L directory of one of the Install or Workbench disks).

Quote:
I've tried using Smart File System, but can't get HDtoolbox to set it up properly (keeps changing back to FFS when I try setting it to Custom File System etc.
Strange. Are you sure you did anything right. After any changes you should click on the "Save changes" button before you reboot.
Old 01 September 2003, 20:59   #3
SeeD32

HD seems to crash

Thanks for that, I'm just formatting the second partition now.

The problem is still happening though, I don't know if it's damage from it crashing before when I was trying to use HDtools, but it seems to just freeze the amiga.

I read your post, then started from scratch.

I detected the HD, installed the FFS (found it helps to change the address to Install3.0:l/fastfilesystem.. etc) and it told me the version, something like 29.?

Next I did a low level format (know this isn't always best but wanted to make sure any damage from previous attempts was gone).

I partitioned the drive into two (It's a 2 gig, so 1 gig each), saved the info, and clicked on exit... and it crashed, completely froze my system.

It did this 3 times! And I've tried two different harddrives.

I use a modified PC power supply so power isn't a problem, and it's stable with the 2 fdds etc, so I'm sure it's not that.

Just strange.

Just one other question though, I'm right in saying I need to use the SFS file system when I partition the HD in order to change the file system? Or can I do it afterwards as long as there aren't any folders etc on the drive?

Anyway I'll post an update if the format works and the HD seems to be stable.
Old 01 September 2003, 23:29   #4
SeeD32

nope still crashes

Tried a few times now, it seems to be fine, except when I click exit the machine freezes. It seems to save ok, but it's not stable because of the freeze, so when I reset it won't format, hangs then too.

Has anyone had this before? Could it be something to do with the 8 meg on the SX-1?

Just can't seem to get this to work
Old 02 September 2003, 00:15   #5
SeeD32

it detects then it doesn't

It just won't work after the freeze on exit. I think it's something irreversable on the HD now because everytime I try it freezes on the exit HDtools.

If I am patient and hard-reset enough times I can sometimes get the wb disks to load ok, and both partitions are there and fine.

And if I try to check with HDtools then everything seems fine, the file system is correct and the settings and partitions are fine, but again it freezes when I click exit.

Or I can seemingly work on the hd and add files (such as add the system.zip file of Classic WB) but again, when I reset the machine freezes just after floppy boot, as soon as it checkes for the HD.

Am I going mad? I had Classic WB set up in no time before, I'm starting to think it's now my CD32/SX-1! Surely 2 harddrives can't have this fault?
Old 02 September 2003, 00:36   #6
SeeD32

Sorry I'm talking to myself here..

but its helping me stay calm lol

Also if anyone else ever has this trouble maybe this will help.

I recently got the 8 meg fast ram simms (used to have 4meg) so I tried taking the 8 meg out, and what-do-ya-know! so far it seems to have made my hd stable again.

I'm just installing (inflating) Classic WB now, and it has survived several restarts before that, and detected the HD each time (it still crashed when I saved in HDTools, but that might be due to damage this has caused on my HD or install disk).
Old 02 September 2003, 10:05   #7
thomas

Quote:
except when I click exit the machine freezes
So the "save changes to drive" button works ? If so, don't press exit but just reboot the machine. The exit button should tell you that the changes need a reboot and do the reboot.
Old 02 September 2003, 10:32   #8
ant512

Re: Sorry I'm talking to myself here..

Quote:
I recently got the 8 meg fast ram simms (used to have 4meg) so I tried taking the 8 meg out, and what-do-ya-know! so far it seems to have made my hd stable again.
Have you considered the possibility that it is the *RAM* that is faulty, not the hard drive?
Old 02 September 2003, 11:10   #9
Echo

Re: HD seems to crash

Quote:
Next I did a low level format
Isn't this fatal? Or does it not apply to new hard drives?
Old 02 September 2003, 12:09   #10
ant512

Re: Re: HD seems to crash

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
Isn't this fatal? Or does it not apply to new hard drives?
New IDE hard drives reportedly recognise low-level format attempts and either ignore them or perform a standard format instead. Low-level formatting an older IDE hard drive will usually kill it stone dead. SCSI drives can be low-level formatted, but there's rarely any reason to do it.
Old 02 September 2003, 12:20   #11
Echo

That's a relief then

Course the problem is, people still use pretty old hard drives with Amigas simply because they're so efficient with space. I only have a 2gb drive on mine, but it's plenty. Barely filled a quarter of it, lol.
Old 02 September 2003, 21:18   #12
SeeD32

Re: Re: Sorry I'm talking to myself here..

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
Have you considered the possibility that it is the *RAM* that is faulty, not the hard drive?
I'm in the process of seeing if it's the ram, luckily I kept my old 4meg simms too.

But surely if the 8 meg simms work fine without the HD (the machine has been fine for weeks) then thats the proof its fine?

I've got another IDE HD (thanks to the wonders of Computer Exchange shops in england!) and I'm trying that now, WITHOUT using low-level format this time, I knew there was something I should remember with doing that -- not to do it, obviously!

I think it's been the low level format. Although I've had some strange errors when detecting the HD (not a proper disk! error 7) or something along those lines is one I can remember when I get HDtools to detect the HD settings.

It's detected ok now and so far so good, came up asking me to reboot when I clicked exit this time, thankfully. Just about to format the drive in workbench.

I'll post again with what happens.
Old 04 September 2003, 21:27   #13
SeeD32

Memory Matters

Ok, it finally turned out to be the 8MB memory simms. Got everything working again with my old 4MB simms.

Anyone have any idea why this would be? Afterall the 8MB works fine on the SX-1 without a HD attached!

Anyway, problem solved (but not known!)

Thanks everyone.