English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 August 2012, 14:26   #1
Mendel

Turrican II on ZX spectrum

Basically I would want to find out if there is the space ship shooter world on the ZX spectrum version of Turrican 2 and also whether or not there is in game music in this world.

For example, C64 version had no music in world 1 and 2 but did have in game music in the shmup world 3.

Also, is there a trainer for ZX spectrum version of turrican 2? ... since let´s face it: the conversion is quite rubbish for the run and gun part but I would like to see the third world for shiz and giggles After all, R-Type for speccy was very nice and who knows, maybe they nailed this part of T2 too
Old 04 August 2012, 15:12   #2
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

A friend of mine swore blind that the Spectrum version was just as good as the C64 one, playing it recently it's clear it isn't, however there's something about the limited color base of the Speccy I find quite appealing and timeless. As you mentioned R-Type on Spectrum is a good conversion, which I prefer over the other 8-bit versions. I'm sure there's plenty of videos floating about on YouTube of T2 on Speccy, maybe we can find out there.

Boo! No longplay videos of T2 on spec...a task for somebody perhaps?
Old 04 August 2012, 17:23   #3
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

er... [ Show youtube player ]

21:34 for seu bit!

Last edited by Coagulus; 04 August 2012 at 17:25. Reason: more info
Old 04 August 2012, 17:52   #4
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post

For example, C64 version had no music in world 1 and 2 but did have in game music in the shmup world 3.
on this video there is music+ sound effects in world 1
maybe there is a way to activate it?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 August 2012, 18:17   #5
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Whoever made that video added the title music manually to lvl 1.
Old 04 August 2012, 18:49   #6
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coagulus View Post

I stand corrected
Old 05 August 2012, 01:30   #7
Mendel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
A friend of mine swore blind that the Spectrum version was just as good as the C64 one, playing it recently it's clear it isn't, however there's something about the limited color base of the Speccy I find quite appealing and timeless.
Hey I hear ya! This is why I´m now getting into Spectrum rather than some of the other 8 bit formats that I haven´t tried. Everything looks so unique. But this works so much better for other games than Turrican 2. Actually Turrican 1 on spectrum seems to look superior. But really the older games made specifically for the speccy, that´s where it´s really at.

Quote:

Thank you for the link! Can you find a longplay for this [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Mendel; 05 August 2012 at 01:36.
Old 06 August 2012, 04:44   #8
ahrefony

I've been looking for this article, and today, finally found the, you share it.

Old 06 August 2012, 07:49   #9
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Quote:
Thank you for the link! Can you find a longplay for this [ Show youtube player ]
Found [ Show youtube player ] but no Lords of Chaos.

I used The RZX Archive to find Turrican II, use the sites RZX files on ZXDS often.
Old 06 August 2012, 19:30   #10
Mendel

Thanks once more! Interesting site and lots of interesting gameplay recordings. Will spend a night or two watching these before my actual spectrum arrives
Old 06 August 2012, 23:29   #11
rare_j
Zone Friend

I have a peculiar fondness for Turrican II on the speccy.
I like how it's an incredibly accurate and faithful port of the Amiga version, except made out of vomit and squashed testicles.
Old 07 August 2012, 00:10   #12
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Found [ Show youtube player ] but no Lords of Chaos.

I used The RZX Archive to find Turrican II, use the sites RZX files on ZXDS often.
Chaos eh? I was completely unaware of this, certainly looks like the same guys that made LOC. Sadly I never played the Speccy version but gameplay looks intact, not that you could screw a game like this up, unless you were capcom perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I like how it's an incredibly accurate and faithful port of the Amiga version, except made out of vomit and squashed testicles.
Quite a scarily accurate description of the game

Last edited by lordofchaos; 07 August 2012 at 00:15.
Old 07 August 2012, 00:43   #13
Mendel

You know, I played quite a bit of Total Chaos on Amiga before even knowing about this original chaos game on speccy.

But I am much more interested about Lords of Chaos because what little I´ve seen of it, it seems to expand the game to not just a board game but a bit of an exploration/adventure/rpg sort of a game while keeping the battle and spell system. Seems like something I might get stuck on for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Old 07 August 2012, 01:04   #14
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
You know, I played quite a bit of Total Chaos on Amiga before even knowing about this original chaos game on speccy.

But I am much more interested about Lords of Chaos because what little I´ve seen of it, it seems to expand the game to not just a board game but a bit of an exploration/adventure/rpg sort of a game while keeping the battle and spell system. Seems like something I might get stuck on for a while.
Lords of Chaos is a very nice game indeed, it's a great blend of tactical play as well as exploration, I must have been 10/11 years old when I was introduced to it by my nerdy and much smarter friends, at first I didn't care for the crude gfx and rather cumbersome interface but once I got into it that was that, 4 player mode can be pretty epic but finding the time and the additional players is a challenge in its self. Oh the freedoms of youth