English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 14 November 2023, 02:41   #1
danboid

Question avr-gcc for 68000

Has anyone here successfully built avr-gcc for 68000 Amigas (running WB 3.1)? I would like to be able to develop for my Uzebox on my Amiga to see how slow it is. If any has got it to build, could you please share it?

Otherwise, what might be the easiest way to build avr-gcc for the classic Amigas and what would be the the most recent version I might be able to build for 68K without too much trouble?
Old 14 November 2023, 13:01   #2
nogginthenog
Amigan

I would start with Bebbo's GCC. Get it running (e.g. on a Linux box) and use that to build a native 68k cross compiler.
https://github.com/bebbo/amiga-gcc

Quote:
without too much trouble
It will be lots of trouble
Old 16 November 2023, 16:18   #3
danboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
I would start with Bebbo's GCC. Get it running (e.g. on a Linux box) and use that to build a native 68k cross compiler.
https://github.com/bebbo/amiga-gcc

I don't think this is what I want is it? Does that repo build 68K native gcc that I could run on my A600 or does it build a gcc that I'd run on my x86-64 Linux box so that I could cross-compile Amiga binaries?

The goal is here is to run avr-gcc on an A600 running WB 3.1, I don't want to cross-compile Amiga software under Linux.
Old 16 November 2023, 17:29   #4
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboid View Post
I don't think this is what I want is it? Does that repo build 68K native gcc that I could run on my A600 or does it build a gcc that I'd run on my x86-64 Linux box so that I could cross-compile Amiga binaries?

The goal is here is to run avr-gcc on an A600 running WB 3.1, I don't want to cross-compile Amiga software under Linux.

It builds a gcc targeting m68k that you can run on your Linux machine. On your Linux machine you would use it to build an avr-gcc that you can run on your Amiga. Note that it will probably be quite a bit of work, and there's no guarantee that the resulting executable(s) will be of any practical use (they might use a crazy amount of stack space for example).
Old 16 November 2023, 18:39   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

That repo is GCC that can create Amiga 68k executables. This can be used to build a native m68k avr-gcc.
In theory, you can use a native Amiga GCC but this will need 100s of Mb of RAM and lots of time. GCC is huge.

Either way building a cross compiler is not a simple task.

Quote:
You will need a pretty powerful A600.
Old 16 November 2023, 20:09   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

Even in the early 90s GCC required more memory compared to the Amiga C Compilers but it was free. I guess it also came built in with C++ and Objective C as well which was a bonus.
Old 03 February 2024, 15:52   #7
danboid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
In theory, you can use a native Amiga GCC but this will need 100s of Mb of RAM and lots of time. GCC is huge.

100's of MBs of RAM? What makes you say this? I'm sure I've read online its possible to run gcc ( just to compile hello world) on the Amiga with as little as 2 MB RAM. Obviously you're not going to build Firefox or gcc on the Amiga with 2 MB RAM but I'm not hoping to do that.

I used to run (an old version) of gcc on a 386SX with 4 MB RAM when I started using Linux and I've also used gcc to build stuff like MAME (for ARM) with 64 MB RAM under Linux, on my Sharp Zaurus, with a more recent version of gcc.
Old 03 February 2024, 16:48   #8
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by danboid View Post
100's of MBs of RAM? What makes you say this? I'm sure I've read online its possible to run gcc ( just to compile hello world) on the Amiga with as little as 2 MB RAM. Obviously you're not going to build Firefox or gcc on the Amiga with 2 MB RAM but I'm not hoping to do that.

I used to run (an old version) of gcc on a 386SX with 4 MB RAM when I started using Linux and I've also used gcc to build stuff like MAME (for ARM) with 64 MB RAM under Linux, on my Sharp Zaurus, with a more recent version of gcc.
I was talking about building GCC itself.

I've used GCC in the past (GeekGadgets) on native hardware and also Bebbo's GCC 6.5 had an experimental Amiga build.
My Amiga has ethernet and smb2fs is awesome so these days I use a cross compiler.