English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 July 2016, 05:17   #1
TroyWilkins

Amiga Bridgeboards

If this is in the wrong section I wholeheartedly apologise, and if a moderator feels it needs to be moved to a different place on here please go right on ahead.

Anyway.

One of the things that attracted me to the Amiga as a platform back in the day (other than autoconfig, the graphics and sound output and the multi-tasking) was that it was possible to add a bridgeboard and thus run software intended for other platforms. I really liked the idea of owning one machine that could run pretty much any software I wanted, and having it all multi-task, rather than needing to have an x86 PC, a Mac and an Amiga all taking up space on my table.

Fast forward to now, when I'm trying to explain to the kids what was so great about the Amiga while I wait for my A600 to get repaired.

I stumbled upon a video of a PowerMac being demonstrated running Windows 3.1 on it's DOS compatibility card, which had a genuine 486 chip on the expansion board, which of course meant that it could run Windows 3.1 at full speed, and also could run software while software was also running on the Mac side. So of course I thought "Yawn, big deal, the Amiga 1000" could run DOS on the A1060 Sidecar, and then later there were 286, 386 and I'm pretty sure 486 bridgeboards, at least for the 'big box' Amigas".

So, I went looking for a comparable video, preferably showing something like how I used to run Shapeshifter, PC-Task and various Amiga apps, all at once, but using a hardware x86 bridgeboard instead, as I'm sure most of us know PC-Task isn't exactly impressive speed wise, unless you're happy with a DOS prompt.

And I was shocked to find that I couldn't really find anything. Yes, I know that running software for a 386/486 and 68K Mac isn't that impressive now, but still... Anyone know of any good video demonstrations of this I can show the family?
Old 12 July 2016, 06:16   #2
emufan

i found these:
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

still searching, i'll add them, if there are some more

Last edited by emufan; 12 July 2016 at 06:22.
Old 12 July 2016, 09:59   #3
TroyWilkins

Oh wow, nice finds!

While my A600 is away getting repaired, I decided to have a bit of a play in WinUAE and got PC-Task 4.4 and ShapeShifter 3.11 up and running on an emulated A1200. I may even try to make a video to add to youtube, showing that they're all running on the same machine all at once. Yes I know, I know, emulation, but it's only until I get my A600 back and start adding expansions to it.
Old 12 July 2016, 15:28   #4
TroyWilkins

Just for a laugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga-Multi-tasking.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	49112  
Old 13 July 2016, 16:28   #5
TroyWilkins

I made a not-very-good video, showing PC-Task and Shapeshifter on an emulated system.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 July 2016, 17:35   #6
emufan

and this was already possible 20 years ago - it's a shame commodore missed the opportunity to promote these features
Old 13 July 2016, 18:24   #7
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
and this was already possible 20 years ago - it's a shame commodore missed the opportunity to promote these features
Commodore had no idea what they had, nor how to market it.