English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 02 February 2012, 23:53   #1
Cherno

[Wanted] Hired Guns sprites

There is another thread about HG, amonst other games, but it lead to nowhere and I'm pretty sure there is an easier solution than to rip from memeory with gfxrip.

Anyway, when Hired Guns is installed on hard disk there are lots of directories that contain the game graphics files, but they are all in a strange *.gfx format I have found no way to open nor any information about them whatsoever. I suspect that these are custom compressed image files or archives created in-house at DMA Design.

I believe these files are in fact the same kind of images that exist in editable format for the characters (different angles and zoom levels). At least there is one *gfx file for each of the 18 different monsters in the game.

I have no coding experience but from my point of view it could be easy to extract the images/convert the files with a simple program.

I need those monster images for a tabletop/boardgame version of Hired Guns I have planned, because I want to create some paper miniatures out of them
Old 03 February 2012, 00:13   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Could you see file header with some text editor?
Old 03 February 2012, 00:19   #3
Cherno

Believe it or not, I barely got workbench installed with WinUAE, but I have no text programs or anything on the hard disk directory.
Old 03 February 2012, 00:45   #4
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
You can check them from the Windows side (unless you used a hdf for your virtual Amiga hard drive).

I have uploaded to the zone 2 gfx files (one of a character and one of a monster).

I don't think you can see a header. A quick look through an hex editor does not show anything useful (at least to my eyes). And a program like Irfanview which automatically detect some headers does not recognize it.

As Cherno said, it is very likely to be a custom compression format. When you have modified a character (iff file) you need then to run a convert program to have the modified character changed to a usable gfx file.

Perhaps somebody with enough knowledge could check what the convert program does in details?
Old 03 February 2012, 10:58   #5
roy bates

if no-one dont mind me saying you can get all the character gfx of the main disks and use them in delux paint.i know this because you can make your own characters in this game.

sorry if it sounds really obvios.
Old 03 February 2012, 13:05   #6
Cherno

Yes, I know that, but it's only the characters and not the monsters or other images.
Old 07 February 2012, 13:23   #7
Cherno

From reading the other thread again, ssomething about RNC compression was mentioned:

Quote:
As far I remember all files on the disks are RNC compressed, so you have to decompress them by some tool on Amiga (there are plenty of those), or on PC,(I think you can do this even by MultiRipper). On HG disks there is already some kind of gfx converter to make custom gfx, if it can help you to find which files are gfx ones.
I installed a RNC decompresser on my workbench but I have no clue how to use it, perhaps it help someone with better knowledge who is also interested.
Edit: Played around with GFXRip a bit and found out that the game uses 5 bitplanes, with the fifth making all sprite appear to be underwater (giving them a blueish tinge). When bitplanes are set to 4, the sprite looks almost as in-game, but they're not perfect. I can't figure out which order the bitplanes, especially the fifth one, have to go in order to show up right.

Edit2: I just had the wrong palette, now it shows up right with 4 bitplanes, the fifth just adds the underwater effect.

Last edited by Cherno; 07 February 2012 at 15:41.
Old 07 February 2012, 20:24   #8
Cherno

Spent the the day ripping sprites with GFXRip. I manged to rip all monsters, but the weapon and item graphics just aren't there for some reason.

Edit: The monster attack frames aren't there either.

Last edited by Cherno; 08 February 2012 at 00:48.