English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 30 October 2020, 16:23   #101
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Good observation, gimbal. Nothing can miss your eyes...

Following video was funny... (Got killed on the planet of death )

[ Show youtube player ]

So his ship got destroyed by white dwarf star (looks like neutron star) while on planet that comes very close to star... doing this in ship is ultimately destruction, but SRV allows you to survive tip... (his second trip to the same star)

What all people would do for science and exploration....

Also ObsidianAnt had video few years back about The Freakiest Worlds... very interesting video....

[ Show youtube player ]

Dude has very cool voice...

Also, lets mention The Yamiks' video - 8 things to try (at least once) in ED... (compilation of his and other's videos)

[ Show youtube player ]

Capital ship sound.... just crazy well done...

Last edited by Anubis; 30 October 2020 at 16:57.
Old 31 October 2020, 18:17   #102
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Couple more screenshots from last night...

After some planning, purchased Fleet Carrier (most expensive thing you can get in ED) and made first 2 exploration jumps. Just to give some perspective, unmodified ships can be set to jump up to 20-30 ly, with engineering and some special module they can jump to 70ly (my anaconda). Fleet Carrier can care up to 40 ships per player and can jump 500ly. It is also equipped to refuel and repair ships, as well to take extra loads etc.

Carrier Shipyard

My biggest flying ship - Federal Corvette

Landing on carrier

Some Halloween decorations on mining Python.
Old 03 November 2020, 14:08   #103
Anubis
Retro Gamer

With horizon being free add-on, Elite Dangerous is on sale on Humble Bundle for $6.37.
Old 19 November 2020, 18:13   #104
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Now free on EGS https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...lite-dangerous
Old 19 November 2020, 18:49   #105
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Old 22 November 2020, 10:36   #106
Turran

Probably free in preparation for Odyssey. Get it now. If you ever buy a VR headset, you'll want this game. Been playing it for years =)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 November 2020, 13:04   #107
phx
Natteravn

Highly recommended! I'm playing ED since nearly 5 years.

Although I have put a huge amount of playing time in it, and I have the third highest rank in combat and exploration, my largest ship is still only a Python.

For me it is important to have fun in the game and avoid grinding. It is a sandbox game where you should set the goals for yourself, otherwise it will become boring.

For example, I started ED on Asellus Primus many years ago, then moved to Eranin and did many jobs for the Eranin People's Party during the first weeks (who ruled the Eranin system and many neighbour systems during that time). As a result I decided to support the EPP, in my role-playing, for the future. This lasted until today. Although I did many journeys, I still have my home at Azeban and trying to push EPP to old glory.

So I'm trying to have fun with role playing, and I'm not just travelling around and doing jobs for anybody who pays well. I have principles.
Old Yesterday, 11:58   #108
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Probably free in preparation for Odyssey. Get it now. If you ever buy a VR headset, you'll want this game. Been playing it for years =)

[ Show youtube player ]
Yeah well they're not setting the best of precedents lately, I now have every reason to believe that I only have to wait a couple of years and then I'll get this content for free too.
Old Yesterday, 14:27   #109
Daedalus

The same can be said of most games though - imagine all those silly people who bought Quake and Doom back in the day. If only they'd waited a decade for them to be open sourced...
Old Yesterday, 15:39   #110
Anubis
Retro Gamer

They also realized that they make more money with in game shop / decorations that are not making any difference in game play, just visual decorations in ship... That was Frontier's money cow and probably real reason servers are still running.

They are not only one offering original game at discount/free just to get more players to get latest DLC / upgrade.

Also note to all ED players, mining will be nerfed a little bit, Void Opal will change price from 1.7 to 1.4kk, and Painite and LTD will be .6kk and .7kk respectively.

Mining will remain most profitable thing to do, with core mining being better paid as it require some skills. I find it more interesting, including Sub-Surface deposit mining.

@phx,

While I have almost all ships, just like you I find Python most versatile and best ship for stuff I do. It is largest medium size ships, so you cna land on all space stations and outposts.

At the moment I have 2 of them, one geared for mining (core/sub-surface/laser) and other built for multipurpose, including pirating. (which I have not done in a while)

I do have some specialized ships, and for example while everyone seems to gear Anaconda for fighting, I find it to be best long distance explorer ship, with 76-79ly jumps it is easy to move around. (I hade some over 300+ ly jumps while using neutron star boost and neutron star plotter)

DBX is still preferred local explorer / planet landing craft as it requires smaller area to land and position for utility mounts is great for visiting guardian sites / to destroy missile attacks.

Last edited by Anubis; Yesterday at 15:50.
Old Today, 16:03   #111
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The same can be said of most games though - imagine all those silly people who bought Quake and Doom back in the day. If only they'd waited a decade for them to be open sourced...
That makes no sense, you don't compile the code into a full game. You still need to buy the assets.