English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 08 October 2020, 21:55   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Exclamation Got a failing Caviar Blue WD 1TB 3,5'' HDD

...and it doesn't look too good. It happened after I tried to download a comedy using a deprecated P2P tool, through the ed2k network if you've heard of it, one of the partitions contains a folder for temporary files before those files are copied some place else when download is complete. When CHKDSK tried to "fix" those files at next reboot, it probably did some unnecessary "fixing" and then the drive became unstable. Definitely not a virus. I will have to remove said HDD from my PC and try to access data from an external HDD case, fingers crossed (rather "important" data at stake, GB's of unsaved music files, so on so forth). HD Tune Pro says drive has a few unstable sectors (17 of them).
Old 09 October 2020, 03:30   #2
jmmijo

Have you Tried Spinrite ?

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

or Recuva yet ?

You may need to use one of these if you need to attempt recovery on a failing HDD.

Good luck in the data recovery
Old 19 October 2020, 22:25   #3
SquawkBox

I haven't tried any of these tools, thanks for your concern. In the past, I had some success with an old version of DRevitalize which I used only once (twice actually), it was aimed at regenerating the sectors of a 2,5 HDD (rather impressing results, since the latter had mechanical issues IIRC). Just installed HDD Regenerator 2011, and noticed it offers me to create a bootable media (USB flash drive or bootable CD / DVD) to initiate HDD regeneration process in a Live CD fashion.

Said WD drive has 200 unrecoverable / unstable sectors presumably. Had it been bad sectors, I assume it would have been less painful since even MS Check Disk (CHKDSK) can mark these as such and tell the file allocation table to skip attempts to reading them. When plugged in through the use my USB Cooler Master external enclosure, except for the I/O errors when trying to access the drive with Paragon Hard Disk Manage Pro, the drive doesn't show the usual symptoms of a living on borrowed time HDD, no rattling sounds or such. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be low level formatted from start to finish, and sold as working with minor defects later on.

linux buffs suggest to use dd_rescue or myrescue, and to work on a sector by sector copy made on a bigger drive, rather than directly on the failing HDD. Makes sense, but none of my machines have linux installed on them.

Quote:
WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0

Attribute 197: Current Pending Sector

Number__Date / Time__Current__Worst__Threshold_Data_Temp

1___19/10/2020_06:30:23 _200__200_____0_________17

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 October 2020 at 01:38.
Old 20 October 2020, 05:42   #4
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I haven't tried any of these tools, thanks for your concern. In the past, I had some success with an old version of DRevitalize which I used only once (twice actually), it was aimed at regenerating the sectors of a 2,5 HDD (rather impressing results, since the latter had mechanical issues IIRC). Just installed HDD Regenerator 2011, and noticed it offers me to create a bootable media (USB flash drive or bootable CD / DVD) to initiate HDD regeneration process in a Live CD fashion.

Said WD drive has 200 unrecoverable / unstable sectors presumably. Had it been bad sectors, I assume it would have been less painful since even MS Check Disk (CHKDSK) can mark these as such and tell the file allocation table to skip attempts to reading them. When plugged in through the use my USB Cooler Master external enclosure, except for the I/O errors when trying to access the drive with Paragon Hard Disk Manage Pro, the drive doesn't show the usual symptoms of a living on borrowed time HDD, no rattling sounds or such. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be low level formatted from start to finish, and sold as working with minor defects later on.

linux buffs suggest to use dd_rescue or myrescue, and to work on a sector by sector copy made on a bigger drive, rather than directly on the failing HDD. Makes sense, but none of my machines have linux installed on them.
So have you heard you can RUN a LIVE Linux Distro, both from an optical disc and a USB pen drive.

Maybe check out some of the distro's that have this setup already for you to burn a CD/DVD or to a USB Pen Drive.

Maybe check out Ultimate Boot CD, a Live Distro of a bunch of tools.

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Old 20 October 2020, 19:57   #5
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
Welcome to the club SquarkBox.. i too have a bad hdd.. i too tried HDD regenerator.. ironically though its still working.. still showing up in windows.. i've copied everything to a new drive.. manually folder by folder.. waiting for the Error cant copy file.. and it didnt..
mine is a 1.5tb samsung drive.. 3.5in.. and according to hard disk sentinel it has 44days to live.. and that was 2months ago. error i got was "delays"

funny thing about it is.. my 2tb external drive keeps getting disconnected and wont stay connect long enough to even run a chkdsk.. on it. And the bad news is thats the one with everything including my amiga emulator + cd's etc. Wont stay connected long enough to even move 1 cd.. and its not backed up. currently disconnected and powered down.
it was fine until i installed a new app on the emulated hdd for the amiga os.. you'll love this one.. an antivirus.. i will figure it out one day.. when i can connect the external internally..
I wish you luck on the recovery of your data, and hope you get 99.9% of it back.
Old 20 October 2020, 21:02   #6
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Multiple SATA cradles and backup of a backup is solution.

I had good luck using Macrium Reflect to duplicate drives (and to back them up in process) that are about to fail. I had only couple of times that there is no way to restore data off disk (one time because of encryption on disc that someone has setup and other time my ex boss spilled orange juice on laptop and rive was soaked - it did not move any more.

My boss paid 15-20 K to get data off disk. Company recovered around 90% of data.
Old 21 October 2020, 00:49   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Multiple SATA cradles and backup of a backup is solution.

I had good luck using Macrium Reflect to duplicate drives (and to back them up in process) that are about to fail. I had only couple of times that there is no way to restore data off disk (one time because of encryption on disc that someone has setup and other time my ex boss spilled orange juice on laptop and rive was soaked - it did not move any more.

My boss paid 15-20 K to get data off disk. Company recovered around 90% of data.
That is where the cost comes into play, if you have to use a Professional Data Recovery Service
Old 22 October 2020, 02:27   #8
SquawkBox

Let's get the facts straight, or at least try :
  • OnTrack inc. charge 450 euros, pre-taxes price to recover some / most of the data from a failing HDD, granted that's a starting price. A few hundred euros is a lot of money (relatively speaking) but I might bite the bullet if all else fails, of course, should that be several thousand, that will be a pass.
  • As of yet, I didn't use any tool (the key moment is closing in ), might consider using RawCopy, heard good things about Acronis Disk Director too. I mentioned DRevitalize, the latter was used in the context of a couple of 2,5'' HDD I had to deal with, first time no data loss was at stake, much to my amazement, it did "revive" the drive, second time, it was a HDD from a friend, said HDD was damaged, tool didn't work its magic this time, gave it back to him, then later on that friend told me he had found at his place a backup of the files that were supposed to be on the drive.
  • @andy2004
    So, basically you managed to copy the raw content of the failing hard drive, but now the destination drive seems troublesome (roughly summarized). Have you tried removing that drive from external enclosure and plugging it onto the PC ? 1 TB capacity at the most is what these external enclosures can deal with, and yours might be the cause of the drive's apparent issues. Could prove useful to have at your disposal another SATA drive, just to check if enclosure's power delivery is steady (make sure the room is quiet, and then pay attention to possible unusual noises)
  • @jmmijo
    I have indeed used a few times Ultimate Boot CD, same with FalconFour's Boot CD. I get the notion these tools were used mostly for XP & Vista PC's which one couldn't boot (hit with a virus, lost login password). I am not saying they are in any way deprecated but they haven't been updated for quite some time. MediCat is an attempt to offer an up to date comprehensive Boot CD, for those interested.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 22 October 2020 at 06:51.
Old 22 October 2020, 16:46   #9
andy2004
Zone Friend

the data i recovered/copied from the 1.5tb to a 2tb isnt the same 2tb drive that troublesome, its another drive.. infact i got 3 2tb drives.. all bought around the same time.. and all external in the external casings which i bought seperate.. i made them external.. the other 2 still work perfectly.. i've also got a usb to sata/3.5in/2.5in adapter which i've also tried.. all was working fine..until i changed a file within my amiga emulated HDD aka HDF file.. even though it shouldnt have done anything.. 100mb file for a 100mb hdf not 100% in use so adding more files to it wouldnt have changed the filesize. Also i have a external powersupply to run a hddsata/ide drive...
Could just be the drive being old.. over 5years all of them.. except for the new 2tb drive which i copied the 1.5tb drive to..
Could be the cables, could be the adapter i lent it to my nephew then asked for it back.. i have 2 of them.. the other one in currently in use inside the pc..
no noises coming from the hdd, can just about hear it spin.. no clunks, scraping.. so i expect its a simple case of either power or cable..
the usb to sata.. isnt a direct sata connector to the drive.. you have the adapter to cable to drive. might just on ebay and look for a replacement and try that.
Old 24 October 2020, 03:53   #10
jmmijo

Just ran across another Tool, seems to be open source.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Also they seem to support a few different OS's even DOS
Old 16 November 2020, 14:44   #11
SquawkBox

Seems I am finally getting somewhere. Took my chances, and used HDD Regenerator v2011 to "regenerate" (recover) the 3 680 bad sectors from the drive. That tool comes with an installer, but it's not something you want to attempt from within Windows. So, what I did was install the software, assembled a bootable USB flash drive from the menu, which loaded a portable version of the software in there obviously, uninstalled it (I have other software at my disposal for drive monitoring, a useful habit to get into).
Plugged back the failing HDD inside the machine, booted said machine on the flash drive, altered a bios setting (see below, previously "Configure SATA as..." was set on AHCI) as instructed by the tool's author, rebooted, did a prescan which lasted a couple of hours, then scanned the drive for good (with repairs), called it a day . There was little doubt most of the bad sectors were at the beginning of the drive, as you may notice.
And now I have put back the "regenerated" drive in my Cooler Master USB enclosure, so that the actual backup process may eventually take place, assuming all went as planned.

I believe DRevitalize can be used interchangeably.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 November 2020 at 21:52.
Old 16 November 2020, 20:20   #12
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Just ran across another Tool, seems to be open source.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Usually, I don't buy that "linux does it better" motto, but in this particular situation, chances are ddrescue excels compared to what Windows PE based Rescue Cd's have to offer, in terms of included backup / partition tools. So, I went on browsing the Interwebs for some more time and found out about a still updated Arch Linux based rescue Cd toolkit, simply entitled SystemRescue / SystemRescueCd.
Now, of course since ddrescue doesn't come with a GUI, one ought to be rather familiar with typing instruction after instruction aka the command line based approach, common to most linux distros. Also, targeted partitions will have to be mounted first before any backup operation takes place, I assume. SystemRescue toolkit includes quite a few additional tools for repairing tasks and such, but I believe ddrescue alone is worth the price of admission.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 November 2020 at 16:22.
Old 17 November 2020, 04:17   #13
jmmijo

Nice to hear you got things working on that HDD
Old 17 November 2020, 05:10   #14
SquawkBox

I am a bit superstitious, so I didn't check yet if I had access to the HDD content (the clean and functional NTFS partitions that used to store the data). I'd rather do that during office hours, in order to immediately get in touch with data recovery service company in case the process I described failed. If I take into account HDD Degenerator I mean HDD Regenerator outcome as stated on screen, the drive responded well, but I am not completely done yet (have no idea what it implies for the drive to report 46 "delays" btw).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 17 November 2020 at 05:18.
Old 17 November 2020, 18:58   #15
andy2004
Zone Friend

Delays are what i got on the 1.5tb drive i managed to copy.. the drive is still working and i can see the data and have access to it still..
the only thing i can think delays are is a waiting period on the files located in them take longer to access.. still havent got around to formatting the drive at the low level and retest.
I got an issue with another portable drive that wont stay connected with my amiga emulator on it, as well as all my amiga files.
Old 17 November 2020, 20:34   #16
SquawkBox

Mmmmh... let me think
So HDD Regenerator v2011 reported that it regenerated bad sectors from my drive
Yet it reports numerous "delays"
Could it be that it did regenerate targeted bad sectors, but couldn't take care of those sectors bearing delays during that single pass ?
Which leads me to : Does the drive need another pass this time to repair the 46 sectors bearing delays ?

Resource of reference :
http://www.dposoft.net/hdd.html

Quote:
Permanent delays mean that the hard drive has sectors with long access time. A drive with permanent delays is actually a failing drive and may cause data losses. You can try to regenerate such sectors using the "Regenerate all sectors in a range" option. Also, the delays can be regenerated in the "scan and repair" mode, if the following both conditions are met :
  • The hard drive has been completely scanned at least 1 time
  • The hard drive does not contain bad sectors
Good luck with your other drive.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 17 November 2020 at 20:44.
Old 18 November 2020, 17:26   #17
andy2004
Zone Friend

Squawkbox.. just installed the external drive in the pc case using the same cables that where attached to the dvd burner.. so no dvd burner now.. and the 2tb drive according to CHKDSK. is FINE..currently copying all amiga content to another drive.

so i have no idea what the hell happened externally.. must be the cables / connected etc.
Old 20 November 2020, 03:29   #18
SquawkBox

Ran HDD Regenerator for the second time, then a third time. This time, it completed without any apparent issue. Back in Windows 7, tried to get Paragon Hard Disk Manager to "undelete" the scrambled partitions / volumes, managed to undelete two out of three. Unfortunately, while the files from the recovered partitions seem to have been restored, they cannot be transferred to another drive, for the most part. Maybe attempting a backup through the use of explorer is a bit premature.
At least, since I have now full visual access to the file names and folders content, building a complete catalog of all of these files is within reach (100% of material at stake can be downloaded from the Interwebs. It can be done, but should I attempt to do that, there's little doubt it will definitely take... quite some time). The various files don't seem to have vanished which is a relief, but what remains of it is in some kind of debilitating state.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 November 2020 at 16:20.
Old 21 November 2020, 06:23   #19
SquawkBox

Ok, so now I am using RecoverMyFiles Pro v5.1 to get some of my data back. Prior to using it, it's best to know the difference between deleted and lost / orphaned file (according to the author's intentions). Basically, deleted files pertains to the files from folders I can browse, while lost files correspond to those files from the partition I could not undelete (RecoverMyFiles can also undelete files that went through the recycle bin, but that's another story). On the surface, it seems the software gives precedence over most common file types (one can tick boxes to attempt mpeg, mov, word etc. recovery / backup), but during the partial scan I made, I noticed it could also recover less common ones, such as .m4v (handbrake transcoder default file type).
Hold on Blue tin can, after all we've been through together, don't crap out on me, at least not until I have aspirated the hell out of you !

Last edited by SquawkBox; 22 November 2020 at 19:30.