English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 October 2017, 19:44   #1
Sinphaltimus

[SOLVED]GoTek took a dump trying to reflash flashfloppy

This is more of a warning than anything else. Here are some facts.

1. The GoTek was freshly flashed with Flashfloppy 0.7.0a.
2. All cables were properly connected (floppy ribbon and power).
3. Amiga reported DF0: as unreadable even with flash drive connected.
4. OLED display showed flashfloppy reloader 0.7.0a on the screen - none of the buttons did anything with USB drive connected and loaded with some ADF files.
5. I decided to reflash via USB drive so I powered off the Amiga, held down both GoTek buttons, then powered on the Amiga.
6. GoTek OLED display comes on, then goes blank. Power light stays on, no other sign of life.
7. Decide to try reflashing to 0.8.1a via USB to USB (same method I used to apply 0.7.0a).
8. USB drive corrupted, fixed with format. Prep the hex file to dfu.
9. Connect the two jumpers for 3.3v volt and boot mode.
10. Connect to PC and nothing, dead, no power light no OLED display, windows does not detect the drive.

*sigh* - looks like I'll have to replace the GoTek.

Suspect: do not try to flash the GoTeK via pendrive while connected to the Amiga. I think the OLED display went blank the moment the Amiga powered on and checked the floppy drive. I think I know what was wrong with the previous flash. The upd files and were still on the USB thumbdrive. I didn't think the GoTek would see them if I wasn't holding the buttons - thought it might be OK to leave them there. in hindsight, this might have been why it wasn't working properly to begin with. But, I also think it was a bad idea to try and reflash with it connected to the Amiga I think.

After I replace the GoTek, I will troubleshoot this dead one further by checking traces and voltages etc...

Live and learn.

EDIT: [SOLVED]: I guess trying again the reflashing process was all that needed to be done.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 09 October 2017 at 18:51.
Old 09 October 2017, 15:51   #2
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Suspect: do not try to flash the GoTeK via pendrive while connected to the Amiga.
Hmm. This worked just fine every time I tried it.
SOunds like you encountered some problem with your power line.

Can you open the thing and connect it to a power source? Then touch the STM32 chip and see if it immediately gets very hot. If it does, something fried it, it has nothing to do with how you tried to update it.

If it isn't hot, there might be a chance for salvage. You need to try to flash using the serial method.
If it is hot, I would retrace your steps, there's a chance something went wrong with the power connection.

[edit] I just read your other thread. You have PSU issues. So that's probably your culprit, not your update method.
Still, unless the STM32 chip is fried, it could be salvaged. Do the test I describe to check.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 09 October 2017 at 16:03.
Old 09 October 2017, 17:33   #3
Sinphaltimus

I used the original floppy cable, the mainboard and gotek have the white plastic tab to ensure the power does not get connected incorrectly. Was also using the standard Amiga PSU at the time. I'll check anyway. The only reason I used the USB to USB method was because I had issue with serial the last time I tried to flash it. I've got sometime before I can replace the gotek so there is time to tinker. I'll check the chip anyway.
Old 09 October 2017, 18:01   #4
Amiga1992

And are you 100% sure that while you operated the Amiga with a PSU giving bad voltages nothing went awry that could have led to the Gotek frying? I'm afraid that's hard to discard, even if the machine "looks" like it's working fine.

But as I said, if the STM32 chip isn't fried, I guess you have nothing to worry about, but if it is, you do. The STM chip will not fry because you try to update its firmware.
Old 09 October 2017, 18:13   #5
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And are you 100% sure that while you operated the Amiga with a PSU giving bad voltages nothing went awry that could have led to the Gotek frying? I'm afraid that's hard to discard, even if the machine "looks" like it's working fine.

But as I said, if the STM32 chip isn't fried, I guess you have nothing to worry about, but if it is, you do. The STM chip will not fry because you try to update its firmware.
I never got far enough to test the gotek was fully operational after the modding to the Amiga. I just checked the chips, nothing at all gets hot. The power light comes on and that's it. Very strange.

It didn't behave any differently from when it was connected to the other PSU and the issue on the other PSU was the -12v rail which is a completely different rail than the floppy power. The -12v rail showing -8v may have something to do with no load on it, I dunno.

At some point I'll see what happens when connected to serial using a different computer.
Old 09 October 2017, 18:33   #6
Sinphaltimus

Well, Now I'm thinking the OLEd display is all that took a dump. I decided to connect to PC again and try MALE-A to MALE-A usb floppy updating. This time the PC recognised the proper STM device in DSU mode. So I proceeded with eh rest of the flashing instructions. It flashed to the newer FW and it passed the verification process. I'll contact the seller of the OLED and see if I can get it replaced.

Before I do that, I'll reconenct to amiga and put some adfs on the usb stck to see if they (at least one) shows up.

Now I just want to verify the GoTek settings: In No Config Mode, I don't need any jumpers connected to the GoToek except for the one for drive assignment (S1/S0) and for DF0 it it needs to be on S0 correct?
Old 09 October 2017, 18:50   #7
Sinphaltimus

OK, I don't know anything about WTF happened but everything is fully functional. GoTek works, OLED works, I can cycle through ADFS, Amiga sees it all. Like nothing ever went wrong. Except now I'm on the newest firmware..

*scratches head*