English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 February 2018, 13:47   #1
aCCoLa

Question Cd32 floppy drive

Hi all any info greatly appreciated.

I was wondering what Cd32 community thought of the additional external analogic floppy drive add on. Does it run all a500 disks ok? Do I need to run a workbench disk first?
Also how hard is it to convert to gotek drive?
Is it possible to use the floppy and gotek with the same unit or would 2 drives be only way? Can an additional external floppy drive be added to port at back or is that just printers?
Sorry for the noob questions. Just have no experience with this hardware at all.
Would be nice to play some old floppy games on a Cd32 also. I don’t have room for a full amiga computer system and other stuff I have so was thinking of trying this route and modify my Cd32.

Thanks again for time replying or pointing me time n right direction.

Last edited by aCCoLa; 21 February 2018 at 15:24.
Old 21 February 2018, 15:31   #2
Glen M

To answer what I can, all be it I've never used one and this is purely speculation....

I'd imagine the compatibility with A500 games would be as good as A1200 compatibility so yeah it'll run most any game thrown at it.

I'd be very surprised if it not just a standard amiga floppy drive in the device so changing to a gotek shouldn't be much more than a 5 minute job.

I wouldn't think it possible to add another floppy drive. The external port is a printer port not a floppy port. I don't know what the rear 15 pin port does?

and F.Y.I it adds a real time clock

If your looking at these drives I would urge you to reconsider and go for the TF328 ram and IDE expansion card. The cheapest of the floppy drives on eBay UK at the minute is £100 which in my opinion is ridiculous for what it is. The NEW TF328 supplied with a riser card can be had for circa £85 and that's adding 8mb of ram and a 44pin IDE header so gives you the ability to add a CF card with WHDLoad and instant access to a full library of games. I actually finished setting up my CF card for my TF328 last night and have to say its great. The TF328 is also all internal so no ugly floppy drives to worry about.

Last edited by Glen M; 21 February 2018 at 17:18.
Old 21 February 2018, 15:54   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
If your looking at these drives I would urge you to reconsider and go for the TF328 ram and IDE expansion card. The cheapest of the floppy drives on eBay UK at the minute is £100 which in my opinion is ridiculous for what it is. The NEW TF328 supplied with a riser card can be had for circa £85 and that's adding 8mb of ram and a 44pin IDE header so gives you the ability to add a CF card with WHDLoad and instant access to a full library of games. I actually finished setting up my CF card for my TF328 last night and have to say its great. The TF328 is also all internal so no ugly floppy drives to worry about.
I second this, the CD32 with the TF328 and a Riser card is amazing for WHDLoad. The riser I used also gives you a keyboard connection for PS2 keyboards and a full amiga RGB out so the standard Amiga -> Scart works brilliantly as well
Old 21 February 2018, 17:04   #4
Akira

Don't bother with the floppy drive.
Compatibility is lower than an A1200, some games don't like the Analogic device for some reason (like Aladdin/Lion King) and won't work.
And as mentioned price is a problem. Cheaper to get a TF328!
Unless you are hell bent on using floppies instead of a convenient hard drive, but since you asked about the Gotek, I guess not.

One more thing to consider: even though the Analogic device has a pass-through port that one might think is compatible with a TF328 expansion, it isn't.
Old 21 February 2018, 17:17   #5
Glen M

After my initial post I started wondering how the Analogic thing works and gave it a quick google. There is a mod on aminet to add a floppy drive to the CD32 but in that instance it does not support the index pulse of the floppy drive thus limiting compatibility. It also requires that you disabled akikko as that uses the same address lines as the floppy so presumably also nukes the CD-Rom drive?

I'm sure the analogic device works completely different but I thought it would be worth mentioning.
Old 21 February 2018, 17:19   #6
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
I'm sure the analogic device works completely different but I thought it would be worth mentioning.
As far as I understand, the problem is the CD32 has no CIA chips, and the Analogic adds this.
Old 21 February 2018, 17:43   #7
aCCoLa

Arrow

Wow thank you so much everyone for the time in typing. Really appreciated.
It sounds like the TF328 is the way to go.

I’m sorry to be a noob with these questions....would this require soldering and such like? (This scares me! Don’t want to wreck my pride and joy!)
When you say CF card, is this compact flash card? Is this internal too?
I will google but if you have any picks or web articles that explain please point me their. Thanks guys. Your patience with my questions appreciated
Old 21 February 2018, 17:51   #8
Glen M

The TF328 is plug and play. The CF card is a compact flash and you use the likes of winuae to set it up then again just plug and play. There are umpteen videos on youtube about setting up CF cards for the Amiga.

Check out the recent videos from retromancave and gadgetuk who have both recently setup TF328 cards.

The only soldering you need to consider is getting your CD32 recapped. If you're not up to this yourself then there are people out there that do this for a fee.
Old 21 February 2018, 17:52   #9
Akira

You can buy a pre-made TF328 from one of the fellas making them currently. Keep an eye out on the Terriblefire thread and/or Amibay.

The expansion is internal, so yeah the Compactflash will go inside the CD32.
You don't have to open all your CD32, it will all fit through the expansion bay at the back. That's the only part you have to open.

Supaduper is currently selling some units on Amibay:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ter_With-Riser
Old 21 February 2018, 18:01   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

I have a CD32 with SX32 Mk1 with this device you can add one or more floppy drive, CD32 as Kikstart 3.1 with the old games OCS-ECS is more compatible than A1200 with kickstart 3.0
Old 21 February 2018, 18:02   #11
Akira

SX32 is super expensive junk that you don't want.
Old 22 February 2018, 10:16   #12
aCCoLa

Again...thank you everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.
Getting time to scour google for this info is even difficult, so it’s really helpful! Cheers!
Old 22 February 2018, 17:14   #13
th4t1guy

FWIW, I would love to have an SX32. Yes it's expensive, but definitely not junk! But also not a realistic upgrade for the average user either.
Old 22 February 2018, 17:39   #14
Akira

Yeah I'm just over exaggerating so people who are looking for some modest upgrade advice do not feel coerced in any way by people making outlandish recommendations like that.

SX32:
Not junk.
Not needed.
Very expensive.
Hard to find.

TF328:
Perfect modest upgrade for gaming.
Available easily.
Cheap.
Old 22 February 2018, 18:06   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
FWIW, I would love to have an SX32. Yes it's expensive, but definitely not junk! But also not a realistic upgrade for the average user either.
SX32 yes expensive, even small problems in contacts, but it's a great thing, here is my CD32 (old video)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 February 2018 at 18:26.
Old 22 February 2018, 18:07   #16
Akira

That video says "SX-1", which isn't near as good as an SX32, actually it's rather crap, especially when compared to a TF328.
Old 22 February 2018, 18:13   #17
AMIGASYSTEM

Akira it's my mistake discritture (correct), THIS it's a SX-32 MK1, there are two models of, SX-32 MK1 and SX-32 Pro

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 February 2018 at 18:18.
Old 22 February 2018, 18:56   #18
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That video says "SX-1", which isn't near as good as an SX32, actually it's rather crap, especially when compared to a TF328.
I would disagree. It's a bit more bulky, but with the SX-1, I can also run an external floppy, a plipbox off the parallel port and use AT keyboards. But I'm sure they cost quite a bit more now than when I bought it some 18 years ago.
Old 22 February 2018, 20:00   #19
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I have no doubt they were good bits of kit for the time. Still, for the OP the answer is that they would be best served by a TF328 and Riser to enable then to easily play games via WHDLoad using brand new and easily available hardware that fits neatly inside their CD32.