English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 February 2018, 18:51   #41
Reido

Demo is great, very polished and professional, ordered!
Old 02 February 2018, 01:55   #42
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Thank you!
Old 02 February 2018, 15:51   #43
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
we're still far away from our 200 presales goal.

People complain about not getting enough great games for the platform, and when one shows up, they don't buy it.

*SIGH*
Old 02 February 2018, 15:58   #44
DamienD
Banned

Exactly Akira; very sad indeed
Old 02 February 2018, 16:27   #45
idrougge

If Dream of Rowan could be founded, so should this.
Old 03 February 2018, 00:52   #46
ExiE

Quote:
>Anyone else tried the demo? What stuff did you like and what you didn't? What do you think of the overal quality? Let's hear some feedback
I am one of these who considered preoredering the game but I would go for boxed Scourge of the Underkind instead.

I tried the survival demo 1.0 and these are my biggest obstacles:
- I consider the font you created (unnecessarily) hard to read
- I had to read the manual to find out what all the colors of thing you collect means and how to use them, simply way too complicated
- when using CD32 Joypad A under WinUAE emulation after returning from the shop the shoot animation get trashed and it is unplayable. No problems with Joystick A/Joystick B
Old 03 February 2018, 15:47   #47
AmigaBill

Quote:
And remember: we're still far away from our 200 presales goal. So if you really liked this demo and our work so far please consider supporting it!
I pre-ordered from Amiga.net.pl and went on a crazy shopping spree there. So much great stuff! I will mention the pre-order again when I stream the brand new project this week. Very excited for that
Old 03 February 2018, 22:05   #48
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Thanks Bill!
When is the stream?

@ExiE:
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and address some of your points.

Quote:
I consider the font you created (unnecessarily) hard to read
I'm not sure how this could be fixed/made better unless we completely replace it (or perhaps it is the gradient's fault?). To tell you the truth, personally I trully don't see that, it's larger than most fonts on Amiga games, bright enough and straight forward in it's design. Nevertheless we'll check to see if we can improve the issue as it has been noted again in the development thread. Fair point.

Quote:
I had to read the manual to find out what all the colors of thing you collect means and how to use them, simply way too complicated
All descriptions for everything you collect in-game, weapons, elements and powers are within your inventory, so the one thing you need to do is open and navigate it. But I guess, given you found the fonts unreadable, reaching for the manual was perhaps easier?

In any case, it's true that Alarcity is indeed way more complicated in it's mechanics and things you can do (at least compared to most Amiga smups).
It really looks like a simple, top down shooter on the surface but it's more like an rpg under the hood.
This is obviously a double edged sword (and a risky move). Some people would indeed prefer a more straight forward design - plus I know nostalgia plays a big part in this. And while we appreciate simplicity in games, we went that way intentionally as we wanted to try something new and not just deliver the absolute bare minimum or another clone of Amiga game X. So, in regards to complexity in design I guess it all comes down to a matter of taste.

Having said that, there is another layer to your point that I'd like to talk about. And that is the actual implementation: I mean you may as well enjoy a game that gives you ample options to toy with but perhaps your criticism lies with the fact that these options are not conveyed to the player in a way that is simple and straight forward to understand or digest? You may be surprised to read that but... I actually agree! Here's the deal:

You see, we had 3 options to manage with the issue. The first two were to either bombard the player with text in-game in some sort of tutorial level or create a help option in the menu (which isn't far from reading the manual). The third was to slowly let the game guide the player through each function and gameplay element (which is the optimal imho). Unfortunately no solution from the above was fit for the scope of our little demo, who's sole purpose is to give just a glimpse of the system. So, inevitably it drops you in with no explanations and lets you explore & experiment on your own.

Now, in regards to the final game, it's a whole different issue. The main focus here is the upcoming story mode. There, we'll actually be able to incorporate a more structured approach introducing the player to each and every gameplay element. So, in a sense it will be nothing like this demo where you are given 1000 options at once and you have to manage it all in a short amount of time. In story mode the learning curve will be gradual, each weapon, item or power, the player will have to find and earn it, so there will be steady introduction to everything involved, in a pace most players will be able to follow (and hopefully) understand, without the need to refference the manual.

Quote:
when using CD32 Joypad A under WinUAE emulation after returning from the shop the shoot animation get trashed and it is unplayable. No problems with Joystick A/Joystick B
That's an issue of UAE I'm afraid (a matter of configuration or version perhaps?). The game plays perfectly with CD32 and real hardware as far as I know (Erik also owns a CD32 so he can confirm this). I've also tested the game with UAE and cannot replicate this. Let me understand, you use cd32 joypad with your UAE on your pc?
Old 04 February 2018, 07:00   #49
AmigaBill

Quote:
Thanks Bill!
When is the stream?
Probably Tuesday 2pm EST/7pm UTC. I know Earock wants to finish a few things though, so we will see if he has time. Hopefully so!

EDIT - Earock is good to go. Here is the event link (which calculates the date and time in your region) https://www.twitch.tv/events/KhpfAZx0SaeGjis5zbM_DA and or can also simply go to my channel: https://www.twitch.tv/amigabill

Last edited by AmigaBill; 04 February 2018 at 21:26.
Old 04 February 2018, 18:38   #50
eXeler0

Umm.. Ok, so I thought I'd support the lads who made this interesting looking game. I went to Amiga.net.pl site and clicked my way through to the Gold physical disk version. Then I got an email saying "thanks for the order" then som instructions with payment options.
So, before I pay, some info, how does this work? Do you need a certain amount of orders to go through with the "perks" (like kickstarter") or what? (Meaning, will the nice big box still happen if order numbers are low?)
What is the status of the order if its done but not payed for yet? Does it qualify as a reservation? E-mail doesn't say a lot there..

Cheers
Old 05 February 2018, 01:40   #51
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@eXeler0

Thanks for the support!
To your questions:

-No, it does not work like Kickstarter. All physical versions will be delivered normally regardless of the amount of orders we have collected in the end.

-Status says "accepted" at my end if an order is left unpaid and then "paid" if the order is complete.

-There's no reservation in place for preorders at accepted stage, you can only secure your Silver or Gold copy if the order is complete. Silver copies (which include a discount) will only be available until the game is released while Gold ones will be produced in a limited quantity (we had originally announced for 100 Gold copies, there are now ~50 left).
Old 06 February 2018, 23:28   #52
eXeler0

Quote:
@eXeler0

Thanks for the support!
To your questions:

-No, it does not work like Kickstarter. All physical versions will be delivered normally regardless of the amount of orders we have collected in the end.

-Status says "accepted" at my end if an order is left unpaid and then "paid" if the order is complete.

-There's no reservation in place for preorders at accepted stage, you can only secure your Silver or Gold copy if the order is complete. Silver copies (which include a discount) will only be available until the game is released while Gold ones will be produced in a limited quantity (we had originally announced for 100 Gold copies, there are now ~50 left).
Thanx for explaining, I have now completed the order of the Gold Collectors Edition Box.
Old 07 February 2018, 18:52   #53
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Excellent!
Old 08 February 2018, 13:15   #54
Foxman

Hello,

if possible produce the game now (you already have some pre-orders) and you could sell the rest normally. I have canceled my preorder of 06/2017 the gold version because the date has been moved further and further (originally 3Q / 17) ,
I definitely buy the game, but it has to be deliverable.

Finish the game and put it on the shelves and you will see it will be purchased.
Old 08 February 2018, 13:47   #55
DamienD
Banned

Have patience Foxman

...I pre-ordered as soon as it was announced.

What you've requested is just silly, not to mention cancelling your order. I will not be doing this and strongly suggest that nobody else does either.

I get that it's totally your decision but that move is not very supportive.

The game needs to be finished before it gets distributed; simple.

Who cares if it takes another 6 months or so; good things take a lot of time / effort...
Old 08 February 2018, 15:25   #56
Reido

I agree. There's been some really high quality and enjoyable amiga games made in 2017, and hats off to everyone involved ! In my opinion Alar City is a cut above the rest, that's why I'm supporting it and happy to wait.
Old 08 February 2018, 15:38   #57
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman View Post
I have canceled my preorder of 06/2017 the gold version because the date has been moved further and further (originally 3Q / 17)
That's absolutely terrible and not how you support an independent developer. I'm appalled at your attitude.

Preorders are made as such: you pay for the game before it's finished to SUPPORT the developers.

Dates getting pushed is common in such processes. I would like to see you try canceling a preorder for an AAA game on Playstation or similar!
The fact that you can even take your money out of the developers pocket after you committed to support them is a testament to the honesty of the independent developer you just screwed over with this move.

Anyway anyone hesitating to support, should not, if you liked the demo, especially. Preorder without thinking "when is the game going to come out?". Preorder to support a great developer to keep making good games for AMiga a reality.
I preordered and one day I will be surprised with a release. It feels even better after you forgot about it, it's like a surprise gift.
Old 20 February 2018, 12:41   #58
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Well, I just preordered my copy about ten minutes ago, and made the PayPal payment, but I got no confirmation so I have no idea if my payment has been accepted by the team.

Will it come eventually?
Old 20 February 2018, 20:22   #59
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Cool, I saw this. It has been accepted, thank you!
Old 20 February 2018, 21:02   #60
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Also huge respect for your kind words guys, @Akira, @Damien, @Reido and others.

I'd just like to say that from our perspective it's perfectly understandable if someone does not feel comfortable with the delay and wants to cancel his order. We know pretty well the amiga public is hard on trust issues and we know we have to earn this trust.