English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 January 2008, 02:52   #1
Ray Norrish

New Ray Norrish Music - after 18 years?

Yes, Someone twisted my arm and I did some music for a GBA game. If anyone is interested, I`ll put them up or you can PM me. They are "chip" style, so not the old sample crazy malarky - I only had 48k or something lol...
Old 08 January 2008, 05:02   #2
woody57

Yes please Ray

I might be interested in blackmailing your skills for a NEW Amiga compilation music albumn as you live quite close to me
Old 08 January 2008, 06:58   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Indeed, please!
Empeetrified already if possible...
Old 08 January 2008, 12:08   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yay, new music by FullFX!

I look forward to hearing it. The Loader music to The Killing Game Show is still close to the top of my daily playlist after all these years!

Last edited by alexh; 08 January 2008 at 12:19.
Old 10 January 2008, 01:53   #5
Ray Norrish

OK, I have uploaded the music to the zone.
There was only a tiny bit of memory available, and this game had the usual interference and "know it all" of the producer, so this is the result.
Some of the tracks are only "provers", which they wanted to keep, even though they were <1 min and didn`t loop etc..
The developers used a pathetic playroutine as well, which meant a lot of fx had to be removed so that it could be passable on the GBA.
I wish I kept the technically better versions of these, but this is the set that ended up in the game.
These sound best for me played thru sonique, not so good with MadTracker..
Old 10 January 2008, 02:04   #6
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57 View Post
Yes please Ray

I might be interested in blackmailing your skills for a NEW Amiga compilation music albumn as you live quite close to me
heh.. I have had Jan Zottman (Immortal) badgering me for about 3 years for remakes / remixes. I have got a group together to remake a few tracks, but these things always take a back seat with all the other stuff I`ve got going on. What did you have in mind?

cheers
Old 10 January 2008, 15:15   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
The developers used a pathetic playroutine as well
If you ever need a top mod player for the GBA/DS then might be worth contacting James Boulton I seem to remember he wrote one that was used in several GBA games including Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2.

He's keen Atari ST programmer, co-author of SainT Atari ST emulator, (but dont let that put you off) and all round video game maestro.

Plus he likes Guinness so he cant be all bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Norrish
What [remix] did you have in mind?
The Killing Game Show loader/ingame4 is just PLEADING for an official author Remix with quality modern electric guitars drum sequencing. While the original was great, the 8-bit sample quality of the Amiga is really holding back this tune.

Whatever you do, dont mess with the timing of the songs (too much) because that always spoils remixes IMHO.

Last edited by alexh; 10 January 2008 at 15:20.
Old 10 January 2008, 18:35   #8
woody57

We both know how difficult it is to create a Amiga mod of any quality & originality.

My basic project was initiated by the Amiga xmas spoof songs thread.....now thats fine for one track but songs about amiga spoof or not should have more originality than lyrics & to my mind at least part of the mix should be created from a real machine.

I can well understand that a paid comercial venture takes prioity on your time over any hobby project.

So basically I have been trying to colect a list of EAB muscians who could "add their bit " to track as opposed to doing the whole thing.

In this respect niether existing copywrite or full time involement need be a worry for those who contribute.

At the end of the day it's about doing something new as opposed to re-hashing the classics of old.

I have the experience to bring these mixes together & will happily verify my real time involvement playing my part at Manchesters old Spirit studio,s bringing together what eventually became the phenoma of Factory Records under Tony Wilson & working live to engineer at the Hacienda.

No panic if you have not the time though as I understand sometimes it's very hard to re-visit the grey areas of creativity without the spectre of nostagia reminding you just WHY you have held back for so long

Cos when music aint fun no more it's it's time to quit
Old 10 January 2008, 22:15   #9
Bobic

An excellent tracker and player for GBA is the "GAX sound engine", made by the guys from Shin'en. Shin'en did not only create some excellent GBA and DS games, the GAX sound engine was also licensed by many other developers in used in tons of GBA games. It now exists in a highly modified version for DS and I think also Wii.

The GAX sound engine is a follow up to AHX on Amiga (formerly known as THX), which was created by the Amiga demogroup Abyss and was written by Manfred "Pink" Linzner, who's also well known for his great tunes. Maybe they're offering their old (and now no longer used) GAX engine for free to such a famous musician like you Ray. Like most of us the guys from Shin'en grew up with the games for which you've made high quality soundtracks.
Old 13 January 2008, 12:01   #10
Frog

I'm listening to the tunes and my first impression is that i'm grab by the melody of them.
I don't know if because i know it's you who made them but i think all melody are entertaining and tell a story.
If i remember well, your previous mods were more bassdrum based with an heavy rythm (KGS !) whereas those one include a sweet melody.

Great job !