English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 August 2016, 23:50   #1
AC/DC HACKER!

Shogo (odd green color)

Hello everyone,

I've noticed something I'm curious about. I have an Amiga 4000 Desktop and Amiga 4000T in a self-made Tower but the Motherboard is A4000T. I have a Picasso 4 and Picasso96 software installed for it. A CSPPC 060/50 and 604e/200 with 128MB RAM. Picasso96 is V2.zero. I've installed Shogo MAD, used to CD and made dump of the directory structure since I don't play the pretty decent cool music from the CD, when when only listening to music.

When loading the program (Shogo), the colors and the Startup screen all look as they should but the menu is slow...in response in either machine. Sometimes the Amiga(s) can get the game to pre-load data..and "Press any key." will show, other times...PPC crashes. So I understand the Classic Amiga hardware might not be enough, and I don't want to "upgrade" the PPC just to play this game...though I have considered it; for other games also. Otherwise, everything I use the PPC for is great.

Enter WinUAE...which I've also donated to. I love the speed and the "Fastest Possible" CPU option, WOW!! I don't mean World of Warcraft, haha! Shogo loads much quicker and the play is much better than my original hardware. Problem is...like with Nightlong, the graphics are "corrupt"?? For Shogo the "blue" or "purple" background in the animated menu has a lot of green. I'm what's considered "color blind" (Weird, since I do see colors, why do they call it 'blind'?? Anyway..)

After a bit of challenge solving, renaming libraries, swapping DataTypes (060 vs PPC) even though SnoopDOS 3 shows they aren't used, and checking Picasso96Mode, etc, etc...I finally noticed that if I have (WinUAE 3.3.0) Workbench set at 1024x768x24, or whatever resolution, the Shogo screen switches between the correct colors and the "green" color. It's like switching from regular to black light. HAHA! I've tried using UAEGfx, but Shogo won't recognize those IDs. If I leave it at 1024x768x8 or x16 then it stays at green, and the game play is also funky...but seems to be smooth as it should be.

Anyone know anything I could do to get the correct blue/purple colors to stay and Shogo/Nightlong look like they should? I love the speed, Nemac 4, Genetic Species and others are super fun to play with that speed. I love being able to choose WinUAE or A4K...and some games the Zero60 just won't play, so it's awesome to have Kick 1.3 and 68000.

Since the correct colors are "switching" I figure there's something I missed and perhaps this will help someone else. If I find a solution, and I've been looking, before there's a reply I'll reply and update.

I appreciate and all help, fellow Amigans.
Old 30 August 2016, 09:34   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Sounds like usual old game expecting RGB pixel format (ot BGR) which is not the default. Some games had patches that add BGR support.

You can try changing RTG panel color modes to 15/16 or 24-bit RGB and disabling all 32-bit ones to match Picasso IV (and others) supported modes.

Or use Picasso IV emulation
Old 01 September 2016, 19:11   #3
AC/DC HACKER!

Hello Toni,

I appreciate the reply. In "RTG board" setting UAE Zorro 3 (*) with R5G6B5PC(*) switched to R5G6B5 has solved the color challenge for Shogo MAD and Nightlong, but so far I haven't found a way to solve it with using, in the same area, "Picasso IV Zorro III (Villiage Tronic)" setting. Since the color modes aren't accessible there. Switching "RTG board to blank "-" and in Expansion and using "RTG boards", "Picasso IV Village Tronic", Picasso Flash ROM.. I haven't, yet, located a way to set the color modes there or anywhere else. I'm sure those last few settings are the Picasso IV emulation you're meaning...it doesn't work here, the "Amiga" doesn't see the Picasso then even though I've changed nothing within the OS.

Until I check around more, seems UAE Zorro III (*) is the way to go. Hmm... I'll check some more later. For now, I'll use this with the above changes.
Old 01 September 2016, 20:40   #4
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
It is just PPC software that gets the colours wrong on the emulated PicassoIV. Not had any issues with 68k software including nightlong68k.
Old 02 September 2016, 01:18   #5
AC/DC HACKER!

Hello Mad-Matt,

I'm glad I'm not the one one to noticed that challenge. I mostly use PPC for pictures, MP3s, and some other programs. Rarely games...but it's sweet to be able to. So, the PPC code that's been added to WinUAE is causing it? Okay, it'll probably be "fixed" or changed as the progress continues. I shall make a setting for OS 3.1 to 3.9 then.

However, OS Classic 4.1 does display Nightlong correctly when the RTGMaster.library and parts are copied correctly. I haven't changed the color mode for my OS 4.1 config. Perhaps they fixed that in the Picasso96 PPC software which is why I don't have to make changes to the color mode? Shogo, crashes either with the POPUP or without. I have Shogo for XP, so it's not a huge deal to me I'm just very curious and I know by checking around others wonder also.
That's why I'm wondering if there's something to set or a "hack" to do to Picasso96 software? I might try CyberGraphX 4 just to see if it does the same.

Appreciation for the replies and help.