English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 08 March 2012, 23:37   #1
mabus
Zone Friend

CyberStorm MKII upgrade 040->060

Hello there,

I wonder if anyone would be interested in a writeup of such an upgrade. I have done one in the past, and am about to do another one - this time I might photo-document it for interested parties - if there are any !

While none of these CPU's offer any kind of performance worth running for these days, there should be an interest for the "die-hard" users who prefer to run native software at the best speeds possible.

Anyway, if there is an interest I might do the documentation - if not, well...

Regards,

-mabus
Old 08 March 2012, 23:43   #2
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Everyone loves guides of hardware upgrades with lots of pics
Old 08 March 2012, 23:47   #3
roy bates

im definitely die hard bring it on!

lots of pics please.
Old 08 March 2012, 23:48   #4
mabus
Zone Friend

Righty then!

I shall get my camera and soldering iron out and get cracking!

Not to mention the pool of parts

Yey!

I definitely thing my weekend is sorted

Last edited by prowler; 09 March 2012 at 21:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 09 March 2012, 07:06   #5
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Nice
We always love pr0n pics of nice hardware.

Good luck mate
Old 23 March 2012, 20:24   #6
billt

I need to clean up and de-babble-ify my old page about this.
http://amigabillprojects.wikispaces.com/CSMK2+Upgrade

I think I've seen a second page with similar documentation, but I don't remember where now. Do a search and you might find it. My page links to a Blizzard and Apollo similar upgrade.

But document away, the more the merrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabus View Post
Hello there,

I wonder if anyone would be interested in a writeup of such an upgrade. I have done one in the past, and am about to do another one - this time I might photo-document it for interested parties - if there are any !

While none of these CPU's offer any kind of performance worth running for these days, there should be an interest for the "die-hard" users who prefer to run native software at the best speeds possible.

Anyway, if there is an interest I might do the documentation - if not, well...

Regards,

-mabus
Old 14 April 2012, 02:18   #7
mabus
Zone Friend

That is a nice write-up. I think it covers the bases that I would like to see done - of course we are not talking about expensive equipment anymore, but rare artifacts that are irreplaceable. Let me know if you manage to get those pages back from the corners of the Webiverse. Accessing through Wayback wasn't brilliant, but everything loaded fine (including pictures) so well done!
Old 16 June 2012, 22:28   #8
mabus
Zone Friend

Some updates

Finally managed to do this upgrade!

Ended up with a 50MHz 060 (don't want to overclock it because I am running it in an A3000 with limited cooling options). Got 128MB RAM running, and there was no timing problems so I am happy with that. I didn't socket the oscillator because of my aversion to overclocking.

I found some other sites with upgrade notes, which is why I haven't gone to much trouble to document this effort now. It seems to be widely covered on the net. However, I noticed a few things which I think may be of interest to other users of these cards...

For example, in the picture in http://amiga.resource.cx/photos/cyberstorm2,3 there seems to be some diodes present on the 060 card (next to the 3.3V regulator chip). I found that my card works perfectly without these diodes, and I think most other users will find the same. However, I am wondering about the significance of the presence of these diodes, perhaps on some cards.

I read somewhere (http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/cyberstorm2) that some MKII cards were affected by a bug (DMA related

From this source:
  • CyberStorm 040 SN# B400506 - B400569 and CyberStorm 060 SN# B002827 - B003065 are affected by several DMA related problems due to a slight difference in the electrical specifications of certain parts caused by supplier change
  • symptoms:
    • SCSI units connected to the internal SCSI bus of the A3000(T) are not recognized while having RAM installed to the CyberStorm
    • does not work in the A4000T with RAM installed on the CyberStorm
    • in an A4000 with a Fastlane or a A4091 SCSI controller installed, peripherals connected to the SCSI bus are not recognized
  • boards with these serial numbers had to be sent back to Phase5 for rework

I wonder if the diodes are related to a fixed related to this, of if the rework was removal of these components ...
The pages of http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=235 perfectly illustrate how to upgrade the card, comparing the pictures of the 040 and the 060 versions of the card it is easy to see the differences and the changes needed. It isn't a very risky job, but you do need a pair of steady hands to handle the delicate components.

Now got some problems with the floppy drives to sort out!

Anyway, a good start
Old 23 February 2022, 21:16   #9
cugar124

Hi guys just wondering if there is a way to find out the serial number of my card no sticker on it. Or is the only way to tell is the diodes?
Old 24 February 2022, 11:00   #10
Chucky

https://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=337