English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 July 2002, 04:09   #1
Amiga1992

Do you still use the Amiga for work?

Every month or so, I setup an installation in a popular nightclub of the BA night... I provide visuals to the place synchronized with the stuff the DJ is playing.

Anyway, last year when I worked at a studio doing this, we took a PC a couple VCRs, stuff like that. Tomorrow I'll have my first party of the year, but this time I go alone. I broke free from that fucking studio and I'm now free to do what I really want I always thought the show could be expanded greatly if I used some of my old computers...

I'm taking the PC, for this event known as "vector-pusher". It will be providing interactive media I created with Flash MX.
I'm also taking my A1200, temporarily nicknamed "pixel-pusher". It will be providing effects, animation and stuff created with it and all tracked with Videotracker.
And if the setup was complete, I would be taking a C64, that would be nicknamed "charset-pusher". I wanted to do some charset art but I didn't find a noter program appropriated enough for the task. At least not one that let me work as fast as I needed. perhaps next time.

The setup is completed with a camera providing live video feed, two mixers (Panasonic WJ MX50 and WJ MX12), 4 Sony projectors and 4 screens. All these unluckily not mine but rented, except for the cam.

Anyway, I'm using the Amiga for my work, I think it rocks, what I do with it on Videotracker cannot be done as easily on the PC, if at all. Besides, it's got that special oldschool feel . I also use it when I need to do pixel work. The pixel disks and drive on kiken corporation's website I created using DPIV AGA. For these events I surely could use one of those rack-mounted A1200s that Eyetech sells! But I'm piss poor I have to take a frigging air fan to cool the Amiga during the many hours the show lasts...

Anybody else uses the Amiga for his work today? Would be nice to hear other experiences!

Nothing Beats the Real Thing©!
Old 26 July 2002, 10:37   #2
RetroMan

Well, I use my Amiga for work I´m doing some website and game translations right now and everything is done on my A2000/060 Also some gfx manipulation is done on it !

All these things (especially gfx) can be done more easily on an Amiga than on any PeCe out there, maybe a Mac can provide such great Tools/Apps but all those PeCe crap is fully overloaded with useless functions
Old 26 July 2002, 20:41   #3
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

I was thinking about doing some old school vj-ing like you akira...so I am on the hunt for a rack amiga as well...

But I think the best way to go(what i am thinking of doing) is getting an atari st rack kit and using that. They seem to be more popular because of its midi studio "REP" :P .......I will try to find the link.. I have seen one for only £50 :eek
Old 27 July 2002, 14:25   #4
Amiga1992

Never heard of REP, but can teh ST pull off shite as good as an AGA Amiga? I dont think so.

Just got back from VJign, the Amiga performed wonderfully! I made a bunch of Videotracker Vidules, and tripped away using the joystick. Teh PC runnning Flash was brilliant as always. I made a setup that looked like a fucking airport information screen Youve got to see this! im sad I didnt have a camcorder to tape it...

Thanks go out to my friends LSD, vodka and Speed energy drink for the trippy support :P :P
Old 28 July 2002, 08:00   #5
Amiga1992

This guy has a rack-mounted Falcon:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/laurent.favard/eiffel_e.html

WOO, and this one works for Falcons and STs:
http://www.wizztronics.com/falcon.htm
Old 28 July 2002, 08:15   #6
Amiga1992

This is an interesting read too
http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth.../Amiga-01.html
Old 28 July 2002, 12:50   #7
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

HaaaaHaaaaa!!! yeah me likes the "REP" comment!!!! :laugh

The setup looks cool!!.....are the four screens the same or do you have them doing different things? How do you make the flash anims go in time to the music are they keyboard controlled or do you chop it up using the mixer?

enough questions......

When i first look at the pic I thought The fan was some kind of mad attachment.....the biggest amiga MOD in the world!!
Old 28 July 2002, 21:50   #8
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by thinlega
HaaaaHaaaaa!!! yeah me likes the "REP" comment!!!! :laugh
heh, lsd, what to expect?
Quote:
The setup looks cool!!.....are the four screens the same or do you have them doing different things?
Well, a last minute change left me without the WJMX12 mixer, so the four projectors showed the same images. Otherwise it would be two images, 1 and 3 from the WJMX50, and 2 and 4 from the WJMX12. It actually is one big wide screen with four projectors situated at the right distance from each other

Quote:
How do you make the flash anims go in time to the music are they keyboard controlled or do you chop it up using the mixer?
Keyboard+mouse controlled, so the interface between the sound and the computer is ME Works pretty frigging well, and the mixer helps too, because I give effects and chop it from there... I was banging at the keyboard, the mouse, controlling the mixer and using the Amiga's joystick. A real mess! But fun
Quote:
When i first look at the pic I thought The fan was some kind of mad attachment.....the biggest amiga MOD in the world!! [/B]
Bwahahaha! yeah! it kind of looks similar to the Amiga case

I'm in normal mode now so I wont be asking if that MOD is any good, and who composed it :laugh
Old 29 July 2002, 01:54   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Excuse my ignorance, but for what you were using the joystick ?
Old 29 July 2002, 05:38   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Excuse my ignorance, but for what you were using the joystick ?
Ask the ladies that were around there

No, seriously, the joystick triggered effects on Videotracker. Pushing left, right or up brought up different effects. In this case, videos I converted to anim5. Could be line/dot/filled vector routines, scrolls, copper magnifiers, stuff like that and combinations of them. When you press the button, you have another bank of effects. In total, you can have 8 banks of effects.

Videotracker is used to track effects that go synced with a MOD (to create decent demos), but it also has this great Joystick module that allows you to jam live in a VJ session.
Old 30 July 2002, 05:38   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oh yeah... how could I be so naive .... I didn't know a joystick could have SO MANY utilites...
Old 06 June 2006, 23:38   #12
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Who is using the Amiga for serious work?

Hi,
Is it just nostalgia this forum is based on?
Are there any users out there that still use the Amiga for professional reasons?
Me not.
But maybe 2 years ago I met a guy who is running a 'fighting-sports-studio' and he still uses the Amiga for loans, investment and other kinda-stuff.
Methinks he's cool. He has a A4000 and doesn't know much of the PC-world. He does all on this machine.

Are there any others here in this forum that use the Amiga for hard buisiness?

Cheers, Rick
Old 06 June 2006, 23:42   #13
keropi

I use it for pr0n.

jk, some small tv-stations in my town still use amigas... but when I told one of them of my ppc amiga he knew nothing about it, the best cpu he knew was the 040. lol
Old 06 June 2006, 23:49   #14
FromWithin
Music lord

I use it for all of my music sequencing.
Old 07 June 2006, 00:43   #15
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

@FromWithin

The company Freelance was founded when?
It's just in my mind... Psygnosis-yes I know.
Wasn't there a thing like 'Freelance-Graphics' somewhere back in time?

Cheers, Rick

PS: Hey, it's my 20th Amiga-Anniversary!
Old 07 June 2006, 02:00   #16
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Ive been involved with a few student productions where dated looking effects have been required, enter scala and C4D
I still model in C4D on the amiga but purely to see how much I can get out of it
Old 07 June 2006, 02:04   #17
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
I use it for pr0n.

jk, some small tv-stations in my town still use amigas... but when I told one of them of my ppc amiga he knew nothing about it, the best cpu he knew was the 040. lol

Now now are you playing Strip Poker or Teen Queen again, Kero?
Old 07 June 2006, 02:27   #18
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous
@FromWithin: The company Freelance was founded when?
No specific company, but I've done freelance work ever since I was shoved out of Psygnosis.

Did this over the weekend, all sequenced with Bars&Pipes. I simply can't stand anything else for MIDI editing. Everything else is so weak in comparison.
Old 07 June 2006, 03:08   #19
woody57

Very impresive track FromWithin

Excellant use of both spacial & time lag effects & yet you still managed to keep it clean & "live" sounding....the true mark of Professional sequencing

When you cannot tell it's been used
Old 07 June 2006, 03:13   #20
spoUP

i've done some pixel work.