English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 December 2012, 05:56   #1
billy

Populous meet your Godus

Project GODUS a reinvention of a genre

I enjoyed the god game Populous, as one of the first games on my Amiga. Along side of Marble Madness, Lemmings, Battle Chess, Aargh!, The Bard's Tale, Defender of the Crown and my NewTek Demo, Populous was a staple.

Shameless plug follows.... the mind behind Populous, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White has proposed a multi-player multi-platform god game on Kickstarter right now. ...but time is ticking.

Quote:
"GODUS is a delightful reinvention of the god game from 22cans and Peter Molyneux, who created the genre.

Launched: Nov 21, 2012
Funding ends: Dec 21, 2012

It’s an innovative reinvention of Populous, the original god game and delivers exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation..

Populous was created over 22 years ago, and we believe that to date, nothing has come close to emulating its powerfully godlike experience. It’s this experience we aim to reimagine. GODUS blends the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White. The original Populous hailed from the 8-bit era but GODUS will use the most modern technology the world has to offer.

And you can help us make it!"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../project-godus
If you're interested in a followup to those little red and blue walkers you might check out their Kickstarter project HERE.
Old 02 December 2012, 18:16   #2
Marcuz

I've seen this spoiler about the new Molyneux' game here and there around and, other considerations beside the point, I've not seen anywhere the name Powermonger mentioned. Meh.
Old 02 December 2012, 22:56   #3
Photon

Sorry, Molyneux should have enough money to fund this expensive game himself. I'll give money to a moneyless beggar, but not to a millionaire beggar.

Jesus, half a million. That's 1 year's wages for 20 people.
Old 02 December 2012, 23:43   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

That's true. Money for Molyneux on Kickstarter?
Old 03 December 2012, 04:40   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
From the information I can read on the kickstarter page and their website, I have the feeling it is more like an indie company made of people who have worked with Molyneux at one time or another and who managed to have his patroning (in order to get more attention I guess).

Molyneux will probably have no role to play, except for communication.

You can still ask why he would not help them financially directly (or why they didn't ask him). Actually, those who have a facebook/twitter account could probably do that, so that there is no doubt left.
Old 03 December 2012, 10:48   #6
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Interesting, but way short on details. I agree with the others here, why doesn't Peter just fund this game himself?
Old 22 December 2015, 06:33   #7
Amiga1992

So this just came on my iOS feed iOS and it isn't that great, i of course hate the micropayment scheme, basically makes it unplayable, and they went for that "dumbed down low poly" look that is so vogue now.

Black and White was a much, much better game and worthy successor to Populous than this will ever be, sadly

There isnt anything remotely innovative or groundbreaking about this. The game start is even a poor rip off from Black and White!

Last edited by Amiga1992; 22 December 2015 at 06:40.
Old 22 December 2015, 14:11   #8
spudje

Godus turned out to be a total disaster http://kotaku.com/why-peter-molyneux...ter-1685539932

I have my hopes on this one now: Universim https://theuniversim.com/
Old 22 December 2015, 14:35   #9
Amiga1992

I guess that as long as Molyneux is involved, we can't trust a project.

Universum looks good but maybe too much like Simcity. I should really just get a used copy of Black and White and play that through, it is such a great game.
Old 22 December 2015, 14:58   #10
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I guess that as long as Molyneux is involved, we can't trust a project...

... I should really just get a used copy of Black and White and play that through, it is such a great game.
huh?
Old 22 December 2015, 15:04   #11
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I guess that as long as Molyneux is involved, we can't trust a project.

Universum looks good but maybe too much like Simcity. I should really just get a used copy of Black and White and play that through, it is such a great game.
I have such mixed feelings about Molyneux, on one hand I really appreciate what he's created in the past, populous, black and white.. On the other hand he seems to lack focus on core mechanics, almost like he forgets people actually have to play his games rather than just talk about them..