English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 01 August 2001, 01:43   #1
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Lightbulb What is the alternate name for the game Clik Clak?

This is just a challenge as I remembered the name of the game as I was typing this but see who's first to get this correct anyway!

Clik Clak/Idea is a puzzle game involving putting cogs onto several pegs to join up 2 red cogs and start a clock.

This game was also released under another name, can anyone remember it?

PS: Searching for Idea under Back to the Roots will not assist you, they don't list it under the games by this company! So no cheating!
Old 01 August 2001, 01:51   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Gearworks

What do I win, what do I win (Slightly over excited)
Old 01 August 2001, 02:20   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Remember that great PC game guys? I think its called The Incredible Machine. Very similar theme, no?
Old 01 August 2001, 02:36   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Prize

Well done! That was quick...

A prize eh, erm, how about the driving sequel to the game SBORAT, boxed and original - this one is based on those Titus racing games and is called "Crazy Marz". Interested?

Last edited by Codetapper; 01 August 2001 at 05:32.
Old 01 August 2001, 02:53   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

Yes please CodeTapper.
Old 01 August 2001, 05:28   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I would have guessed it first, but I have been a bloody slave to my job (15-hour work days are the pits!) So since I missed answering, I will hit y'all with a name game trivia of my own: What is my sister's favorite Amiga game?

Hehehehe...just kidding. OK, here we go: you may or may not remember the action-arcade game Whirligig, from Maelstrom Games, which was released in Europe in 1989 by Firebird. Well, the game was first released in the US in 1988 (by Rainbird) under what name?
Old 01 August 2001, 12:31   #7
Drake1009

I remember TIM Fredgreat. I wouldn't really say it's similar though.

Were there ever any game like that on the Amiga?
Old 01 August 2001, 12:47   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

@Twistin'

Is/was it called Spacecutter??
Old 01 August 2001, 16:44   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Damn, Ian is the trivia god here (although your answer was a little less confident than with Gearworks). So how did you get this obscure question?
Old 01 August 2001, 16:49   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
@Twistin'

you ought to be more inventive.
A good start would be this:
http://www.back2roots.org/Games/?find=maelstrom

Old 01 August 2001, 16:57   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

Hense my uncertainty

Whirligig was a space game, and Back to the Roots showed two games released in the same year, Whirligig and Spacecutter and seeing as they released a game roughly every two years (According to BttR) I guessed they would be the same

Try and think of a really difficult one because at this point it's 2-0 to me ........ Can **Anyone** beat me??

BTW I'm off to work, so don't think you've beat me until later (around 11pm GMT)
Old 01 August 2001, 17:00   #12
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I reckon I gave too much information. I'm used to asking my friends trivia questions and giving clues all over the question (since they don't have the internet in front of them when I ask).

OK then...what Amiga game was I playing when my House Of Frankenstein BBS debuted on October 31, 1991?

How is that for inventive!
Old 01 August 2001, 17:53   #13
morph72

Question

Hmmm... I guess it wasn't Frankenstein by Zeppelin Games (that wasn't released until 1992), that would be too easy. Lemme think... what about Horror Zombies from the Crypt? That was released in 1991 as far as I am informed, and has a horror movie theme that might have given you the idea of calling your BBS "House of Frankenstein"?

Old 01 August 2001, 21:49   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Actually, the name of the BBS is not really related to the game I was playing. There is no significance at all. And my nick/handle was Frankenstein already back then (the previous name of the BBS was Frankenstein's House Of Horrors, but it was changed because the old name was too big and was imaginary, since there was no movie with that name...) And why my nick was Frankenstein is another boring story not worth noting.

I was kinda only kidding about that being my trivia question. Never expected anybody to really respond!

Here's a real one, although the only Amiga significance is the fact that we were an Amiga group. At the time of this BBS, my Amiga group was known as Dead End Kidz. We opened a second BBS for elite warez that was called Cradle Of Crime. Where did we get the name for that BBS? Oh, and Cody and Walker are not allowed to answer since I think I already told them.
Old 06 August 2001, 11:32   #15
Tim Janssen

Cool Clik Clak = Gearworks

Here is an answer for the first question in this thread. I think Clik Clak was under the name Gearworks released in 1993 by Idea in the UK and Netherlands.
Old 06 August 2001, 11:56   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, since nobody guessed my question, I will just spend the million bucks I was offering for a prize. The answer is that it was a line from the movie trailer of the first Dead End Kids film, "Dead End", which starred Humphrey Bogart.

Final trivia question: DMA Design were famous for many brilliant Amiga games - most notably "Lemmings". But what does DMA mean?
Old 06 August 2001, 12:24   #17
Amigaboy

DMA = Direct Memory Access. This is where peripherals communicate directly with the RAM, bypassing the processor

I'm not sure as to whether or not this is what DMA design stands for, but it's an educated guess

Old 06 August 2001, 15:42   #18
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Meaning of "DMA" (from "DMA Design")

Twistin',

In all honesty, I think that's actually one of the best kept secrets of the whole gaming industry!
A Google query gave me a nice couple of interesting links:
here you are.

Now, really: nobody knows except the company's employees, methinks

Last edited by andreas; 06 August 2001 at 17:34.
Old 06 August 2001, 16:36   #19
RCK
Administrator

better link, try http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...ct&Acronym=DMA
Old 06 August 2001, 17:28   #20
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, Direct Memory Access is a good guess, but wrong. Yes, it is one of the best kept industry secrets (I have privvy info from a friend who knew the team personally). And the Acronym Finder is great! But none of their answers was it!

It's a damn shame Cody isn't here...he needs to guess. Maybe I'll let this one float until he returns (when will that be, like Friday?)