English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 April 2009, 19:05   #1
Bloodwych

Who here plays games on the trailing edge of technology

I tend to play games and platforms that are just out of date these days.

For instance, currently I'm enjoying my modded Xbox and playing games bought off ebay for a few quid - great value! Micromachines v4, Halo 2, Outrun, Project Gothem racing etc. Eventually I'll sell it and get a PS3, but I don't mind waiting until the time and prices are right.

On the PC side, I have a Quad core for a media box and workstation, but gaming wise I use a last generation Athlon 64 3400+, x800XT PE and Audigy 2 ZS that I again picked up from ebay for next to nothing. I'm enjoying games like UT2004, Far Cry, Quake 4, World in Conflict etc - all again bought for dirt cheap.

Finally I have a good old retrobox made from a PC SFF case that I use for MAME and all kinds of 2D games.

It just seems I'm really happy being on the trailing edge of gaming. I get to choose the best titles that have had all the bugs worked out, the best hardware for the time and best of all I get them for cheap.

Anyone else stick to playing games behind the mainstream leading edge? All I'm missing out on is getting my arse kicked by elite players online since by the time I play a game, most people have moved on to the next big thing! Still there are some great free online games anyway to play without having to resort to the latest and greatest PC or console.
Old 26 April 2009, 19:14   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
It just seems I'm really happy being on the trailing edge of gaming. I get to choose the best titles that have had all the bugs worked out, the best hardware for the time and best of all I get them for cheap.
Hah I've been doing this for years. I do still buy modern consoles (although this may be my last gen of doing so), but even with the newer machines I wait until games have been out for ages before buying them.

It's what all the tightwads do
Old 26 April 2009, 19:34   #3
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
I don't force myself to (for instance I have a DS and probably would not enjoy enjoying having 'only' a GBA, although I enjoy some GBA games on the DS) but I also like to be on the trailing edge.

There are numerous benefits:
- you don't beta-test the game, i.e. you get patches that solve most of the issues
- you can get user/fan generated content: new patches (for Master of Orion 2 for instance), maps/mods/gametypes (UT2004)
- FAQs are available and quite advanced so no need to try and spend 5 days trying to guess how to get that ultimate weapon or whatever.

As for online playing, I can say that at least for UT2004, those who remain are among the 'best' (friendly, with good knowledge of the game) players (roughly 40 to 50% of the best 'moved' to other games, so that's 50-60% that remain).
Old 26 April 2009, 19:43   #4
Bloodwych

Yep Dast, tightwad I must be!

I agree, I don't enforce a rule either, there are reasons to buy the latest if you have a strong social reason to do so, but at the moment the thought of playing online against loads of people I don't know and getting my arse kicked as they practice 10x more than I can doesn't seem that interesting. I prefer playing games against people in the same room and relatively the same skill level (eg the same amount of free time) - probably comes from the Amiga days!

I will be grabbing a PS3 at some point this year, as my friends are pushing me to get one. I'm not paying over £200 though!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 26 April 2009 at 19:50.
Old 26 April 2009, 19:50   #5
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
There are numerous benefits:
- you don't beta-test the game, i.e. you get patches that solve most of the issues
- you can get user/fan generated content: new patches (for Master of Orion 2 for instance), maps/mods/gametypes (UT2004)
- FAQs are available and quite advanced so no need to try and spend 5 days trying to guess how to get that ultimate weapon or whatever.
Some good points. Also, I guess having the latest isn't as important once you leave school and don't have to brag each day!
Old 26 April 2009, 20:55   #6
asm1

I too have a PS3. I tend not to get games for it very often although if there's something I want I'll get around to it - usually NOT as soon as they are released. Thats not to say I haven't bought a game on release day but as a rule I like to wait (price comes down!). Either that or I'll trade in a game I've had enough of... Fifa for example, I traded 08 for 09 when 09 came out... but I can quite happily go for 6+ months without buying a game.

PC wise, I have a nice spec machine which can cope with anything I throw at it, I bought Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway when it came out as I've played the other games in the series... before that I bought Half-Life 2 when it came out (quyite a while ago)... thats been it. Of course I bought games like Quake, Q2 and the original Halflife 15 or so years ago, but since I went to uni (10 years ago) I haven't felt the need or want to have the latest and greatest. Plus there's the point that you have to upgrade your pc to play the "latest and greatest" every 18 months..... supposedly . Which is why I got a PS3 - at least with that, the PS3 will play games released for it in 18 months with no problems.

My one regular concession to PC gaming is an MMO subscription, which at least comes wiith the benefits of patches/updates/maintenance as lilalurl said. In terms of "age" - the game, Anarchy online, has been around since 2001 (I've not been playing it that long ) and as you can probably imagine, older games with newer hardware (usually Graphics cards/driver releases) can throw up some interesting quirks.

I don't game much, I guess... If there's something I want I'll get it, maybe not straight away.

That said I'm off for an AO sesh

Andrew
Old 26 April 2009, 21:11   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I also buy games when they 'aged' a bit, mainly for the reasons lilalurl mentioned and also because they cost way less and/or you get these gold editions with extra content. You save on the hardware and the games. Sometimes it's a good thing to have left school behind
Old 26 April 2009, 21:16   #8
Sensi
Unregistered User

I am sure I wont buy any of eighth generation consoles and only seventh generation console I am planning to buy (maybe) is PS3. And not in 2009 or 2010, depends only on how good emulators will be developed for it.
Old 26 April 2009, 21:20   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
I`ve always be an advocate of playing this years games on last years hardware

after all what was cuttin edge this time last year is just as good now and a lot cheaper
Old 27 April 2009, 01:08   #10
Monsterland

I'm not really following the latest generation of games but I do keep an eye for great rpg's or strategy games. Good example is Fallout 3 and Civilization 4. The latter is rather old already though. Also, I do keep another eye on the mmorpg front because here's hoping interesting will happen happen besides the mainstream of the grind, collect and level up crap we see since everquest and still going strong with World of Warcraft.
Old 27 April 2009, 14:23   #11
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I just buy whatever and whenever I'm sure pretty much all of us have a mix of old and current generation machines...... And to be honest all the current gen consoles will not make good collectors items in the future as they are not exactly what i would call "reliable" I think the oldies from Sega could survive a nuclear fallout

I will never buy a new console on it's launch date ever again!! I will wait a while so all the bugs can be ironed out in later hardware revisions.... and it will be cheaper
Old 27 April 2009, 14:28   #12
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
LOL I'm playing counter strike and will buy halflife from steam when the price is right , talk about trailling edge technology
Old 27 April 2009, 16:09   #13
keropi

... I always get the latest games for my consoles/pc, but I find my self enjoying way older titles...
Old 27 April 2009, 16:16   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I am always playing yesteryear's games. I tend to upgrade to be able to play previous gen games. It gives me a far wider selection, patched games as mentioned before and I can simply take my time to finish a game in stead of having to rush because the next big thing is already alround the corner.

Other reasonings are of course the price: for example I waited five years to buy a PS2 simply because the console was by then affordable and there were already games being downpriced (and I needed a decent and cheap DVD player). Now I'm going on a rampage collecting all the good games that are at 1/3 or even 1/4 of the the price compared to when they were just released.
Old 27 April 2009, 16:27   #15
Gordon
Settler

I only play Amiga and Xbox Live. Nothing more nothing less.
Old 27 April 2009, 17:02   #16
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I used to be a "next generation" gamer... but it costs a fortune.

I now tend to get the previous generation of everything.

That said I did get a Wii on Launch day.
Old 27 April 2009, 17:50   #17
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

The overall "quality" of next gen consoles completely sucks.... I can't even believe that my Xbox 360 contains electrolytic caps Microsoft are such tight asses and decided not to go for the better solid state caps which makes no sense at all considering the amount of heat the system produces!! Those caps will not last

And as always the PS3 hardware will curl up and die (quite a few are now) like other Sony consoles when it hits a certain age.... Something Microsoft are still trying to fix

I have consoles and computers that are around 15-20+ years old and they are still going strong! They don't make them like they used to.
Old 27 April 2009, 19:46   #18
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I used to be a "next generation" gamer... but it costs a fortune.

I now tend to get the previous generation of everything.

That said I did get a Wii on Launch day.
Yeah but the Wii is barely last generation
Old 27 April 2009, 19:52   #19
Paul_s

Gaming died in 1994 for me. Anything after is ghey!

Old Skool forever! Noob stuff for Recycle Bin

Oh carp, says the chap with GTA Vice City on his peecee... anyway, I have an excuse for that, 1980's are where I live
Old 28 April 2009, 13:40   #20
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

I still play Elite.... on a 3Ghz PC... I think that says it all..... a great game stands the test of time.