English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 August 2014, 14:57   #1
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Send a message via AIM to Seblington
GVP A530 service manual wanted

Hi, I was very lucky to find a cheap "untested" A530 last week, it arrived today and well guess what, its dead well it was a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Plugged it in and no power, A500+ booted as it should as if there was nothing there ( plug a series II in with no power and the computer does not boot)

OK, so the A530 is different, it turns on with the Amiga, you can here the relay click inside ( something). quick look in the PSU, there is a black capacitor, blown 3A fuse and a shorted AC to -Ve bridge, the cap seemed OK so replaced the bridge and the fuse, tried again, quickly tripped the mains with blue flash from the cap.

The problem I have is I can not tell what the cap use to be, also once the power supply is working I think there's going to be more problems in the A530 itself.

Now I'm not much of a programmer but I am a good electronic engineer, I could probably struggle for weeks trying to fix this but if anyone can give me a helping hand with a service manual or circuit diagram it would be a huge help

Many thanks in advance.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 20 August 2014, 18:58   #2
clenched

No manual but since it was only 2 screws I had a look. The only black cap is the biggest one, Polarized type, 100 µf 400 volts.
Old 20 August 2014, 19:49   #3
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Thank you, I had a close look, the cap has been burned, it wasn't the fault, could you possibly look at Q1 ? have a look at the picture, all I can see is UZ80A as there is a hole blown out of it, I think it may be BUZ80A but want to be sure

Love my Canon 7D with the Macro flash, nice and crisp close ups :-)

On a good note, I read on the forum the series II PSU works with the CGP, it shouldn't as the A530 has a -12Ve rail, but tried it anyway and the device is recognized by the system but does crash as soon as you get any sort of display (Apart from holding down the two mouse buttons on start-up), it does boot from the HDD as well but as soon as WB starts to pen iot crashes, even if you boot off an FDD.
Old 20 August 2014, 20:09   #4
clenched

There is a really stiff steel spring masking some of the numbers and I don't want to push it. However I can see the B directly over the R. (R141) in my case.
Old 20 August 2014, 21:06   #5
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

PERFECT !!! that's all I need to know, I really appreciate you looking,

Well when a switch mode power supply goes pop, they often take more than one component out with them, so far, this transistor, 1 bridge rectifier and a fuse, will check the surrounding components before installing the new transistor,but hopefully, this should get this A530 working again.
Old 27 August 2014, 10:30   #6
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Just an update on this one, replaced the blown part and no joy, cant believe I missed a 330uf cap budging ( though it was covered in glue), still no joy, after checking further I found a dead diode and a dead 20V Zenner diode, I don't like working on SPMS as its never one thing wrong with them, they literally destroy themselves :-/
Old 15 September 2014, 11:08   #7
Seblington
Amiga Nutter

Just wanted to post an amendment comment, the HD8 PSU IS compatible with the A530, mine didn't work as my A500+ had corrosion on the motherboard causing issues ( now fixed)

Also, the standard Amiga PSU's are a good replacement for the GVP's if you cut off the square connector and replace it with the 5 pin DIN, the HD8 PSU struggles with HDD's larger than 2GB to spin up in my experience, after using a small SMPSU that I had spare, the A530 is running very well with a 2GB HDD, now all I need are 2 4MB SIMS for it ( not the same as in the A4000 or the HD8).

I am still repairing the PSU which is a total nightmare without a diagram, so far, I have found there are 2 dead Zener Diodes, 4 blown controller transistors and 1 blown mains chopper transistor, both timing caps, 3 output smoothing caps and a 1 Ohm ballast resistor, awaiting more spares before I try and power it up again, the only issue is, every time the PSU blows, it takes out most of the components listed above :-(
Old 15 September 2014, 12:46   #8
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seblington View Post
Also, the standard Amiga PSU's are a good replacement for the GVP's if you cut off the square connector and replace it with the 5 pin DIN
Definitely - my friend did this for me with a spare A500 PSU when my HD8+ one broke. Worked great for 20 years or so (but sadly stopped working just as I was about to transfer my files off!)

Chris
AdSense AdSense