English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 September 2014, 23:14   #1
zedr

Problems using a CF drive in my Amiga 1200 [SOLVED]

Hello, I have bought a CF drive and IDE cable combo from Amigakit.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=883

I have partitioned the drive in UAE and installed Workbench 3.0. I have followed several tutorials and paid attention to the recommended settings, including the MaxTransfer rate (0x1fe00). The installation completes and I am able to boot into DH0 and the Workbench screen in UAE.

Sadly, I am not able to do the same when I connect my CF card to my Amiga 1200 using the IDE cable.

When I turn on the computer, the HD led lights up and the disk drive emits a single "click", but the screen stays black and silent. If I click on both mouse buttons when I turn it on, the TV signal appears to be distorted for a second, then it goes back to a silent black screen.

When I disconnect the IDE cable and the CF card, I can use my Amiga as normal. If I re-partition the CF card, leave the partitions unformatted (i.e. dh0:NDOS in UAE), and connect the card to the Amiga 1200, I still get the same black screen and unresponsive system.

Does anybody have any ideas on what might be the problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by zedr; 05 September 2014 at 09:58.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 September 2014, 01:04   #2
thomas

Check the cable connection. It might lock up if it's not connected correctly. Pin 1 of the adapter has to be connected to pin 1 on the motherboard. Both should be marked somehow. On the motherboard there is a little white '1'. The adapter probably has a little white arrow pointing to pin 1.
Old 05 September 2014, 09:58   #3
zedr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Check the cable connection. It might lock up if it's not connected correctly.
Thank you very much for the tip! You hit the nail on the head. The pins weren't perfectly aligned. Once I aligned the pins correctly on the motherboard, the system booted and the CF was recognized as a hard drive.

I would add this information to the CF FAQ.

AdSense AdSense