English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 February 2002, 21:49   #1
jmmijo

First game on the Amiga vs. First Game on the PC

Reading thru the Commander Keen thread I was reading how the first version really sucked on the IBM. Since this was really id's first every game there is a learning curve to be sure. So I was wondering then what was the first game you bought, borrowed or stole for you Amiga and if you also have a PC what was the first game for it and why of course

To get you started, mine was Firepower by Microillusions, because I was enamered by the destruction the tank could impose on the battlefield and the fact that the little guys got squished when you ran them over, umm, gibblishes :laugh

Okay, talk amongst yourselves...

EDIT: I want this to be about games so if you purchased anything like video or graphics apps, then please limit it to just games!
Old 17 February 2002, 22:06   #2
Amiga1992

The first game on my Amiga was Wing Commander... It was what my uncle bought me with my Amiga, I didn't pick it. Despite being technically poop, I enjoyed it. Along with it came a few coverdisks, which sometimes I enjoyed more than wing Commander.

On the PC, I think the first games we loaded were Tetris for the Gameboy emulator, and Dragon Ball Z for the Genesis emulator :P No PC games. No! hold on! we bought MDK with the computer. I thought it was enjoyable. Yes, that was my first PC game.
Old 17 February 2002, 23:37   #3
oldpx

My first games on Amiga were Lotus 2 and Silk Worm. I don't remember which one is the first I loaded On PC however, my first game was Need for Speed 3. The shop that sold me the PC used the game to test that newly released Riva TNT card and they forgot the disc in the drive. Of course I returned it.

Intentionally, I was playing sega master system games with the emulator "massage".

Old 17 February 2002, 23:49   #4
Drake1009

I can't really put a finger on what the first game for my Amiga was since I had played so many at friends and when I bought one second hand about 2 years ago it came with about 100 disks. But I think my closest shot would be James pond 2, that guess would be because that's what the guy who sold the Amiga to me used to show that it was in working condition. If that isn't it it would have to be either hudson hawk (Which I could not get working on emulation) or Jumping jackson.

As for PC games, that's a little tougher because I'd have to go back quite a bit. I believe first game I loaded on a PC to play would be Captain comic, but first game I ran on MY pc and not my brother's or mothers would be Quake.

BTW. Massage was mentioned. I was wondering about the name of the emulator. I read somewhere that it was named because of a spelling error in the intro of the Gamegear version of Alien syndrome where you recieved an "emergency massage" instead of an "emergency message". Never got around to testing wether this spelling mistake even existed. can anyone confirm this or tell me the place I read it was written by a guy without enough facts?
Old 18 February 2002, 00:02   #5
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
I remember when i played my first game on the amiga well. It was Bart Simpson vs. The Space Mutants - it was a 500+ Cartoon Classics pack.
Old 18 February 2002, 01:34   #6
enigma

Smile

The first game in the Amiga... were (uhm!)...
Leisure Suit Larry In The Land Of Lounce Lizards and I remember my-self not being able to bypass the questions test... but then
sbdy told me about alt-x....

The first game on the PC was... uhm!... BABIES... you know you control the fire-squad carrying a bed and try to save babies

Old 18 February 2002, 02:04   #7
bgbennyboy

My first 2 games were Zool AGA and WWF European Rampage.
Talk about traversing the whole quality spectrum of amiga games.

European Rampage got corrupted within a few months and I wasnt really that sorry
The fact that European Rampage was a shop bought original precipitated my descent into amiga piracy. Although I always had to quickly click past the bbs lists on fairlight cracks, for some reason my mum didnt think "Fuck Shop" was a very nice thing to have in Lemmings2
Old 18 February 2002, 04:22   #8
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Although I always had to quickly click past the bbs lists on fairlight cracks, for some reason my mum didnt think "Fuck Shop" was a very nice thing to have in Lemmings2
Mom's can be funny that way huh
Old 18 February 2002, 05:39   #9
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
ok hmmm!!

First game on the Amiga was Marble Madness! and on the pc was Grand Prix 2

Marble Madness was superb, I was always trying to find that hidden secret level, which I found out later on in life was never in the game booooo !!
Old 18 February 2002, 06:24   #10
Chuckles
The Ancient One

As best I can recall, my first game on the Amiga was Marble Madness, which was still found in many arcades at the time.

The first PC game I remember buying was MechWarrior (really cheesy in comparison to it's sequels).
Old 18 February 2002, 10:52   #11
RetroMan

Hmmm, I had my Amiga software even before I got my Amiga Lemme see, there were two games I had first Hostages and Interceptor ..... and IIRC my first PC game was Space Quest I !!!
Old 18 February 2002, 12:50   #12
oldpx

Quote:
BTW. Massage was mentioned. I was wondering about the name of the emulator. I read somewhere that it was named because of a spelling error in the intro of the Gamegear version of Alien syndrome where you recieved an "emergency massage" instead of an "emergency message". Never got around to testing wether this spelling mistake even existed. can anyone confirm this or tell me the place I read it was written by a guy without enough facts?
EMERGENCY MASSAGE

LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massage.gif
Views:	516
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1852  

Old 18 February 2002, 13:13   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL!!! I love it!

My first Amiga games were 3D Pool and Hard N' Heavy. I dug both of them, but Hard N' Heavy blew me away with it's sexy music and shiny graphics. I might possibly have played the PD game Tumbling Tots before that, but it didn't have quite the same imapct as HnH!

On the PC...this one is pretty bad. It was Wheel of Fortune. On an XT with Hercules graphics. CGA was the big thing then, but I was impressed with neither. I only used it to get away from studying DBase III+ homework, which was equally abysmal. During my Amiga days, I played the PC version of Star Goose, which was OKish for a PC (I didn't have the Amiga version then). Local PC pirates kept showing me the latest VGA games and I thought they were all crap. Still do. Jazz Jackrabbit was the only time I saw a game on the PC that appealed to me. And it was clearly designed to look like an Amiga game.
Old 18 February 2002, 13:40   #14
Paul
RIP Friends

My first ever Amiga game was EPIC which was Free with my A600 HD. I thought wow this game is in 3D and what a great introduction and has music and speech, next I tried Myth which was also Free with my A600 HD. I remember thinking what a great fire effect on the titles and great atmosphere the music made.

My first game on the PC was Sonic-CD and was very disappointed to find the 1 month old Packard Bell 9003D P120, 8MB RAM, 1GB HD, WIN 95 and 1mb gfx card I got that xmas was not powerful enough. The game needed 16 MB RAM. So I upgraded and the game worked. This game was not worth the effort to get to run, might as well have stuck to the Master System II version. This CD was a pain as every time I changed timezones I had to wait 2 minutes for it to load.

Last edited by Paul; 18 February 2002 at 13:51.
Old 18 February 2002, 14:00   #15
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I think my first ever Amiga game was Lemmings on a demonstration machine in a computer shop.

My first PC game was probably Doom 1&2 on a friend's new PC.
Old 18 February 2002, 14:06   #16
Tim Janssen

Arrow The Plague, Flood and 3D shmups

The first games on Amiga and PC I have played were actually demos of games. When I bought my Amiga in August 1991, the first first disc I booted was the CU Amiga coverdisc of July 1990 which featured Flood and The Plague.
The first games I played on PC was a collection of DOS 3D-shmups consisting of Dark Forces, Descent and Doom.
Old 18 February 2002, 16:02   #17
Dizzy
Pirate

I guess my first amiga game was "Eskimo games" and on the PC it was Police quest (CGA) or "Alley Cat"
Old 18 February 2002, 17:10   #18
Drake1009

Twist : Jazz Jackrabbit was the only time I saw a game on the PC that appealed to me. And it was clearly designed to look like an Amiga game.

Look like an Amiga game? I don't think I saw an amiga game with the furious speed and that style before. To me it seemed more like what you'd find on a console system.
Old 18 February 2002, 23:51   #19
Fissuras
Old Luny

Old PC Gamer

I do remember quite well my first PC game. The first one I´ve seen was King's Quest I !!!!!!!! And guys, I was amazed!
I was used to play adventure games on my MSX... I thougth they were great, with graphics and even music... somewhat better then the ZX81 adventures (Anyone played Black Cristal?)

but King's Quest was different... It was pure magic... Wow, you could walk your character on the screen... Not just a static scene... you could interact with some objects... you could write "push rock" and the rock would move... (yes, those were the days one had to type things, not only point and click)

There were monsters (a wolf.. a bear...) running for you...
at that time I thought it couldn't get any better.

Sniff... I miss these days
Old 19 February 2002, 00:55   #20
jmmijo

@Drake, would you say Jazz Jackrabbit was more like Sonic the Hedghog for the Sega DC?!?

@fissuras, did you play the original release of KQ1 or the remake?!?