English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 July 2008, 16:55   #21
mfletcher
Bawbag.

But, as you keep pointing out every time someone starts a thread with the title: "Why cant we create a hardware upgrade XYZ", you're always the first to respond that it would be too expensive to design and then implement.

If theres no new hardware, dont expect the existing stock to go cheap. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
They are like vultures circling a dying animal.

Last week someone decided to sell their DKB3128 on Ebay, (the price for these has been going up steadily over the last few years), auction lasted 10 seconds as someone bought it for $299 buy it now.

Not bad... but now having seen what they could be worth everyone who has one of these cards is scrambling to cash it in

$600 buy it now

Sheesh our community is shallow, money orientated!
Old 03 July 2008, 16:57   #22
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Im surprised that A500's in reasonable quality are not fetching at least $100 USD, to be honest. I was hoping to buy up some old A500's, upgrade the kickstart to 3.1, supply some original WB disks, clean them up and sell them at $10 profit for my time, but its not possible now.
Old 03 July 2008, 17:03   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfletcher View Post
If theres no new hardware, dont expect the existing stock to go cheap. Deal with it.
Surely some of the Amiga users out there should have left the scene / got married or something?? There should be more about today than before!
Old 03 July 2008, 17:15   #24
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Surely some of the Amiga users out there should have left the scene / got married or something?? There should be more about today than before!
I don't think so, many people just buy Amiga HW just in case their old stuff breaks down smth. Like I mentioned I bought the MK II, I don't really need it yet as I'm happy with my MKI and never use my other A4000 anyway. But just in case the MKI should die one day I can easily replace it.
Old 03 July 2008, 17:48   #25
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotoxionomai View Post
To Dizzy: If you want to start a retro museum i could sent you my mother-in-law...
Polite way to tell him to plan on huge rooms??

As for Amiga stuff, here in USA it's more expensive and rare then in Eu. For last 13 years I haven't seen single Amiga hw on sale on Garage Sales or in local new paper?!
Old 03 July 2008, 17:54   #26
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Quote:
Perhaps, but it doesnt offset the attrition in hardware failing over time. Also Id imagine that some people just end up binning the hardware after a while rather that going to the hassle of putting it up on Ebay. Its a sad situation.

Fortunately we have WinUAE to keep the Amiga alive in digitial form.
Old 03 July 2008, 18:03   #27
jabsy
Yeah Hup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boing_1000 View Post
Exactly right. I started my Catweasel out at $.99 cents and it ballooned to 222.50. I mean, if people want to pay that much for this stuff, to each his own, I suppose.
Was that yours in the last fortnight or so???

I was bidding on that but lost out, it went for too much. I probably went up to $200....

Then Mr AmigaKit saved the day by getting some new stock in so I grabbed a couple off him!
Old 03 July 2008, 18:48   #28
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Polite way to tell him to plan on huge rooms??

As for Amiga stuff, here in USA it's more expensive and rare then in Eu. For last 13 years I haven't seen single Amiga hw on sale on Garage Sales or in local new paper?!
Only Amiga stuff Ive seen in US was either on Craigslist or Fleabay. Its my understanding that the likes of Doomy uses Craigslist to get stuff.
Old 03 July 2008, 18:54   #29
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsy View Post
Was that yours in the last fortnight or so???

I was bidding on that but lost out, it went for too much. I probably went up to $200....

Then Mr AmigaKit saved the day by getting some new stock in so I grabbed a couple off him!
Ya that was mine! Believe me I thought it was ridiculous as well. I'm glad you got one from Amigakit, and I'm glad the person that bought it was impatient, now I can pay for school expenses!
Old 08 July 2008, 22:04   #30
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

its worth what someone will pay.

i sold my A4000s off last year, and my B2000 back in 2005. In a couple of years time I'll be trying to buy them back, and if the owner wants more than he paid... so what.

I'm selling off my retro stuff as I've had it for years, and still get the teary eyes when I fire up Galaxians on the TRS-80, but I rarely use it anymore even for that memory lane trip. Its whatever it is worth.

Sure, there is always emulation, but it aint the same. And yeah, it sticks in the craw someone trying to sell something at an "inflated" price.. but lets be honest, if you had the disposable funds, what would you pay???
Old 08 July 2008, 22:12   #31
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Quote:
I just dont like to see these miserable little worms coming out of the woodwork.
Then why (in your own words) do you watch all of the auctions?
Old 08 July 2008, 22:21   #32
Boot_WB
Novice in the Black Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
martin-flash and lord-spider

try allegro.pl, they have accounts here too and you can see how much profit they have by simply re-selling it on egay

fuck them
And what about that Amigakit eh?

I used to do exactly the same thing several years ago - logging onto Ebay.de to buy Amiga hardware cheaper than was available on Ebay.co.uk. I'd then sell off my excess stuff and buying slightly higher spec with the money - I slowly climbed the hardware ladder, with several snakes on the way where hardware was broken, or on its last legs. It was the only way - as a student - that I could afford to upgrade.

If I see a ridiculous bargain on Ebay I sometimes still do the same - if the transactions are honest, what is your problem with it?

What I DON'T do is PM people offering a pittance for their valuable hardware, misrepresenting the value so that I can acquire it and make a huge profit, but then I doubt that LordSpider does that either. Having seen many of his auctions over the years, he is usually selling good quality gear. From his feedback I'd say that everyone is happy. Except you and Alex of course :

OT - Does anyone know if Lordspider and LortMulat one and the same? Auctions and user names are disturbingly similar.. /OT

Regards

Rich
Old 08 July 2008, 22:23   #33
Paul_s

How much I wouldn't entertain paying silly prices for Amiga gear.

Anyway, if I need a fast Amiga I'll just use WinUAE to emulate and then pay the money saved on some hookers/beer and they can join me in bed with my standard cd32
Old 08 July 2008, 22:27   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

You still sleep with you Amigas (computer!!), Paul?
Old 08 July 2008, 22:44   #35
Dizzy
Pirate

he change it with a c128
Old 08 July 2008, 22:53   #36
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

I'd love an A1000.. and a C128D.... but funds aint what they used to be...
Old 08 July 2008, 23:13   #37
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
he change it with a c128
It must have a big floppy drive
Old 12 July 2008, 20:12   #38
Paul_s

The magazines are getting the same treatment it seems also

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-Power-ma...3286.m14.l1318
Old 12 July 2008, 20:34   #39
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

15 issues plus binders at currently £2.60 per issue. It's getting towards the top of it's worth but not a totally silly price... yet.
Old 15 July 2008, 11:52   #40
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

Quote:
They are like vultures circling a dying animal.

Sheesh our community is shallow, money orientated!
So we can look forwards to *rock bottom* prices if you leave the scene and sell your hardware :-)

Alex, you could kickstart the whole scene by donating me (now Amiga-less) *all* your kit... then the scene woulc rock