English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2011, 02:14   #1
Lobotomika

Looks like my HD did not survive the stress of moving the house. It just spins up, blinks a few times and spins down after a few seconds.

What are my modern upgrade options? I'd like to go for a CF solution if there is one rather than hunting for old SCSI drives. Revival tips for the old drive won't hurt either.

Thx

A quick research revealed that there are 50 tp 80 pin SCSI converters around. Will I be able to use any 80 pin SCSI HD with them? Never mind the filesystem / size limitations.

Last edited by Lobotomika; 05 June 2011 at 10:24.
Old 05 June 2011, 10:39   #2
Lobotomika

Any pointers? I kept the HD in the fridge overnight. Will see how it will turn out HAHA.
Old 05 June 2011, 17:59   #3
amiga1

Hey there. I just upgraded my hd8+ with an acard and a CF option + pfs3. Upgrade your ROM's to 4.15 when you upgrade--it'll solve a few problems with the newer drives options. The unit is quiet, easy to add to (with uae), and I was able to eliminate the power pack for the HD8+, too. I purchased a heavy duty ps for the Amiga, itself, tho. If I knew more about this Amiga, I'd help out more. For now all I got is a few months of experience.... I recommend the acard over other options, tho. The acard and a 2.5" pata hd with an ide 3.5" adapter fits nicely into the hd8+ case if you still want to go the hdd way.

I don't think the 50 by 80 adapter would cause any problems. For the cost, it wouldn't seem like a big loss just to try it out.

Cheers
Old 05 June 2011, 21:22   #4
Lobotomika

Exciting! This info will help a lot, thanks My old HD is also revived by the freezer torture but sooner or later it'll die permanently.

I'm guessing this is the hardware you're talking about. It can't cost 250$ right? If so I try to get a 2nd hand one but still... 250!

It seems to have a 50 pin port so I don't need to use a converter with it right?
Old 06 June 2011, 06:08   #5
amiga1

Yup, that's the one. If you look around you can get them much cheaper. Mine only cost $95 CDN. I was tempted to buy one of these, too:

http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?ma...roducts_id=180

They say they're bootable, but I have no experience with them. Not too sure if they would function like an HD or not. For the price, I just might buy one anyways.

It's summer, so things have sort of moved to outside yard and house maintenance for now. Maybe in a few months when it gets colder I'll be looking into it.
Old 06 June 2011, 07:30   #6
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
The ACARD is a magnificent adapter when it works. Vesalia (Germany) have them for sale for a more decent price, and also you'll find it in other internet retailers.