English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 19 October 2017, 20:09   #2041
alenppc

Oh I totally didn't see the 8MB ram expansion question. I thought scrappysphinx was talking about a bare CDTV.
Old 19 October 2017, 20:35   #2042
scrappysphinx

So, other than the SCSI expansion card, anyone know of any other way i can add a hdd to the CDTV? I have the pcb files for the scsi boards and can have some pcb's made up and put them together but of course space in the cdtv is limited so i was looking at the scsi-sd and the price is a bit more than i like lol
Old 19 October 2017, 20:38   #2043
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappysphinx View Post
So, other than the SCSI expansion card, anyone know of any other way i can add a hdd to the CDTV? I have the pcb files for the scsi boards and can have some pcb's made up and put them together but of course space in the cdtv is limited so i was looking at the scsi-sd and the price is a bit more than i like lol
mkl from Amibay offers some 68k IDE, it will possibly work with Your 8Mb, however, it uses standard 68000
Old 19 October 2017, 20:50   #2044
scrappysphinx

i didn't realise mkl still offered the ide adapters. I shall look him up on Amibay. Thanks
Old 20 October 2017, 10:37   #2045
amigadude

Is there a CF compatibility list for the TF328 somewhere? If not maybe it should be added to the wiki..

Only ones I've tested so far:

Working:
Not working:
  • Transcend 8GB 133X (TS8GCF133) (3.3-5v) - Works with WinUAE, A1200 native IDE & A1200 Elbox buffered IDE - http://amzn.eu/h3WZAsz
Old 20 October 2017, 14:14   #2046
alenppc

SanDisk Ultra 4gb and 8gb working like a charm
Old 20 October 2017, 15:19   #2047
plasmab
Banned

Transcend1G works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2017, 15:25   #2048
alenppc

Transcend 512mb doesn't work
Old 21 October 2017, 05:46   #2049
Rango

Hello guys. I would like to build this board. I have few questions?

I check out digikey for components listed in parts list and 20-30% of them are not available and some of listed that there is many to chose from voltage etc. What website do you guy get those components from? Any approximate total cost of those components? What's the total cost if one does it itself?

Is Rev 3 board most desirable? What are difference between 1vs2vs3?

Last edited by Rango; 21 October 2017 at 05:59.
Old 21 October 2017, 12:05   #2050
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
..check out digikey for components listed in parts list and 20-30% of them are not available and some of listed that there is many to chose from voltage etc.
be carefull what You are ordering, do not rely on BOM from github, as it wasn't updated for a very long time. For example, You need 68882 FPU and not 68881, oscillator shold be choosen to according Your CPU speed (not 20Mhz listed), R1, R2, R3 values are not correct, cpld's should be 10ns, other speeds doesen't work.. Please keep in mind, You will need microscope to be able to build it, it's a no go without it, i picked up a used one, however, these are not cheap
Quote:
What website do you guy get those components from?
any you are able to find parts You need. Memory became very expensive since this project begun, same is for the CPU, ceramic are selling for about 30-35$, (you can also use plastic, these are working good) FPU price differs - You can get some for 6$ if You are lucky (don't buy these for 2$ on ebay - these are non working fakes. CPU socket may be a problem too, as i know - there is only one seller from china on ebay.

Quote:
Any approximate total cost of those components? What's the total cost if one does it itself?
depends on the price You getting these parts
Most expensive pars are:
Memory
CPU
CPU Sockets

Quote:
Rev.1 wasn't released public, i have built Rev.2 only - these are good, have heard some people have trouble with rev.3, can't confirm that, Rev.3 is pretty the same as rev.2, slight redesign in power lines, that's it

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 21 October 2017 at 12:10.
Old 21 October 2017, 13:51   #2051
Black68

Quote:
Hello guys. I would like to build this board. I have few questions?

I check out digikey for components listed in parts list and 20-30% of them are not available and some of listed that there is many to chose from voltage etc. What website do you guy get those components from? Any approximate total cost of those components? What's the total cost if one does it itself?

Here is where I buy my parts:

RAM, crystals and passives at RS Components

CPUs and FPU from ebay (china providers), here and here. And the FPUs from here

CPLDs at Aliexpress (china). You can get these at RS Components as well but at a much higher price

I do not use any microscope or magnifying glass to assemble. Luckily I have very good sight still

Last edited by Black68; 21 October 2017 at 14:58.
Old 21 October 2017, 14:00   #2052
plasmab
Banned

I have just had an order of TF530s arrive.. rev2s and rev3s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/202087303881

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/202087301636
Old 21 October 2017, 17:04   #2053
Rango

Thanks guys. Your help is greatly appreciated. I was referring to terrible fire github page for list of components found here https://github.com/terriblefire/tf530

Wouldn't 5x magnifying glass be good enough? I'm pretty good with soldering. If not where did you get microscope and how much was it? Which is cheap but good working chip programmer for firmware upload?

Will this accelerator be able to run stable at 50Mhz? What' the current stable speed and final goal in Mhz?

@plasmab can you confirm the difference between board v3 vs v2 which one to use and why
Old 21 October 2017, 18:03   #2054
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Thanks guys. Your help is greatly appreciated. I was referring to terrible fire github page for list of components found here https://github.com/terriblefire/tf530
that was my warning, as this BOM wasn't updated
Quote:
Wouldn't 5x magnifying glass be good enough? I'm pretty good with soldering.If not where did you get microscope and how much was it?
depends on You, my eyes are not so good anymore. for example: i wasn't able to see fault on a resistor network (one of them was not soldered properly) have bought used Carl Zeiss stereo microscope locally for 800€. new one is more than 2 000€
Quote:
Which is cheap but good working chip programmer for firmware upload?
You can use RaspberryPi for programming, or any Xilinx programmer (LPT or USB)

Quote:
Will this accelerator be able to run stable at 50Mhz? What' the current stable speed and final goal in Mhz?

@plasmab can you confirm the difference between board v3 vs v2 which one to use and why
i can not provide guaranteed answer on this question. I can talk from my experience only:
all my TF cards i've built (9x atm) are running on 50Mhz, these are mostly stable. Other persons here reporting lower speeds. I can't let my cards work on latest firmware (cards are booting, but have issues to run any WHDLoad game, giving "illegal instruction")

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 21 October 2017 at 18:11.
Old 21 October 2017, 18:37   #2055
Rango

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
that was my warning, as this BOM wasn't updated

depends on You, my eyes are not so good anymore. for example: i wasn't able to see fault on a resistor network (one of them was not soldered properly) have bought used Carl Zeiss stereo microscope locally for 800€. new one is more than 2 000€

You can use RaspberryPi for programming, or any Xilinx programmer (LPT or USB)

i can not provide guaranteed answer on this question. I can talk from my experience only:
all my TF cards i've built (9x atm) are running on 50Mhz, these are mostly stable. Other persons here reporting lower speeds. I can't let my cards work on latest firmware (cards are booting, but have issues to run any WHDLoad game, giving "illegal instruction")
Thank you. Where list the list that has been corrected or if there isn't one can we compile one?

How does one do that with Raspberry Pi (or pc if possible)...that's cheap solution as it's only $35? What program to use with Rasberry to upload Hax?

Xilinx is too expensive for this project, so is the microscope
Old 21 October 2017, 18:42   #2056
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. Where list the list that has been corrected or if there isn't one can we compile one?

How does one do that with Raspberry Pi...that's cheap solution as it's only $35? What program to use with Rasberry to upload Hax?

Xilinx is too expensive for this project, so is the microscope.
There is a video on my channel about programming the TF328. The same process can be used for the TF530

[ Show youtube player ]

A microscope is essential for fault finding. You will never find faults without one.

Some people have messaged me telling me that they are able to solder without them.. I dont think they'd see a tiny solder bridge without one.
Old 21 October 2017, 19:41   #2057
Rango

Thanks guys but where is the corrected and updated components list?

Sorry for asking again but i don't see where that is at currently?

Thank you for instruction video also.
Old 21 October 2017, 20:01   #2058
plasmab
Banned

Terrible Fire Accelerators

If someone sends me a list I’ll update the TF530s readme.md

It would be good if people started updating the wiki on the 530 site the same as the 328... its been v successful there

Old 21 October 2017, 20:49   #2059
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
There isn't. TF530 hasn't such hype than TF328. No Wiki page, no much feedback, however, i need to say,i am not registered on Facebook, and maybe i have missed a lot discussions there, donno. I was mostly on my own by searching and purchasing necessary parts (have done a copule of mistakes, ordering wrong parts, as i had no idea what exactly i need) soldering these boards, but when i was totally stuck - i have asked Stephen. Steve always gave me a helping hand! (i am very thankfull for that effort and time he invested in live streams and TF project).

It's a great piece of hardware, indeed, and if You consider to build this card - You should be prepared to spend some time watching Terrible Fire Youtube channel - that's the best place to get all info You need..Or You will be just like me - with a lot of wong parts lying around here

Quote:
How does one do that with Raspberry Pi (or pc if possible)...that's cheap solution as it's only $35? What program to use with Rasberry to upload Hax?
RaspberryPi was used as a replacement for this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Xilinx-Platf...-/192291557664
the idea behind it - if You need to purchase one - it can be Pi, as it is more usefull than one purpose programmer for programming only.

Oh my dear..it's not hex, its jed file..
Quote:
Xilinx is too expensive for this project, so is the microscope
Yes, you should think twice at this point, do You have all tools and skills to do it, or You need to invest some cash in it. What is Your mission? To get this particular accelerator or You like to learn something new? Do You have enough time and patience to learn? I had no knowledge about cpld, smd soldering or whatever before, but i was not in doublt, i really wanted to learn that, and Steve gave me that fuel, he showed that it is possibe, and now it's my hobby, my passion, my way to relax. I don't stop here, i will build also TF534, MSX Carnivore 2 (Altera Cyclone II) and some other interesting projects. Cause it's fun, it's interesting, and i know - i can! Coming home after a hard working day, switch on vocal or deep trance music, turn on my soldering station and just enjoy.. And if i get notification that Steve is online, i throw all away, and watch Youtube, that's true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
If someone sends me a list I’ll update the TF530s readme.md

It would be good if people started updating the wiki on the 530 site the same as the 328... its been v successful there

i can do it!

the most important - is to correct FPU's - 68881 are not used.
Xilinx cplds need to be 10ns - this info is missing (have purchased 24x 7ns)
Oscillators - same frequency as CPU used (or slight above, if overclocking is planned)
R1, R2, R3 - still have no correct info

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 21 October 2017 at 21:17.
Old 21 October 2017, 21:50   #2060
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
There isn't. TF530 hasn't such hype than TF328. No Wiki page, no much feedback, however, i need to say,i am not registered on Facebook, and maybe i have missed a lot discussions there, donno.
I think that general interest will rise when TF534S arrives and when 68040 arrives intrest will blow.

I konw about 5 people who wait TF534S. Major reason is that it is much more compatiable with other hardware than TF530.

TF534S should work with CDTV, at least majority or accelerators wich don't use Zorro II address space works with CDTV. Same with most of Zorro II cards.