Zone Friend

Doom, Quake
Old 29 November 2016, 16:12   #22
trixster
Guru Meditating

That's a pretty strange answer.
Old 01 December 2016, 17:36   #23
edd_jedi

I'll have to give Theme Park another go. I've looked in to it fairly extensively already without success, eg here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=79276
Old 02 December 2016, 13:23   #24
StarEye
Zone Friend

Don't care which version is considered best today, the experience I had from playing the Amiga versions of the Monkey Island and Indiana Jones games was the best time of my gaming life. Monkey 2 were one the first games I bought original, and waited a month for it to arrive in my mail, then another month when I had to return it because of read/write error on disk 7 (when I tried to enter the pawn shop on Booty Island).

A lot of games were better on the PC once VGA got big. Not to mention the introduction of the CD-ROM. The Amiga could never keep up, and an A1200 version would have made much of a difference, since just about every AGA version of a VGA game were a lot slower anyway. But I still play the Amiga versions sometimes, because of nostalgia, which is more genuine when I play the version I grew up with.
Old 04 December 2016, 09:20   #25
DopPie
Zone Friend

Dune 2 was better on PC in my opinion. The intro had speech. The midi music was awesome. The Amiga version lacked on those departments. Probably due to disk space constraints.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1572 met Tapatalk
Old 04 December 2016, 13:38   #26
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Don't care which version is considered best today, the experience I had from playing the Amiga versions of the Monkey Island and Indiana Jones games was the best time of my gaming life. Monkey 2 were one the first games I bought original, and waited a month for it to arrive in my mail, then another month when I had to return it because of read/write error on disk 7 (when I tried to enter the pawn shop on Booty Island).

A lot of games were better on the PC once VGA got big. Not to mention the introduction of the CD-ROM. The Amiga could never keep up, and an A1200 version would have made much of a difference, since just about every AGA version of a VGA game were a lot slower anyway. But I still play the Amiga versions sometimes, because of nostalgia, which is more genuine when I play the version I grew up with.
Amen to this post StarEye, I feel the same way
Old 07 December 2016, 15:50   #27
Total Eclipse

I'm not sure whether the Amiga version of Populous 2 ran in 16 colours or not (I recall it looked very similar to the Atari ST version, so quite possibly), but the PC version had 2 screen modes you could select - 640x480 in 16 colours, or 320x200 in 256 colours. Didn't have the music that the Amiga version had though.
Old 07 December 2016, 16:22   #28
Tyball

Believe it or not, but I actually have a fondness for the inferior PC version of Monkey Island. Inferior you say? Yes, inferior. At least, the CGA version is. And that's because I played that version when I was a kid.

I was too young to know anything about actually buying a game. I only knew about copying. And none of my classmates had the Amiga version. Only the PC version.
And I had no PC... So, I played it on my Amiga 500 with KCS PC emulator. And it was slowwww
Old 07 December 2016, 16:32   #29
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
I'm not sure whether the Amiga version of Populous 2 ran in 16 colours or not (I recall it looked very similar to the Atari ST version, so quite possibly), but the PC version had 2 screen modes you could select - 640x480 in 16 colours, or 320x200 in 256 colours. Didn't have the music that the Amiga version had though.
I can't see any evidence of a 256 colour version? DOS screenshots look the same as the 16 colour ones to me, personally a British company supporting 256 VGA graphics in 1991 is pretty unlikely, unless a newer version came out on cd-rom a couple of years later like they did numerous times to make games Windows compatible?

Edit: seems yes there was 2 seperate releases, the original alongside the ST/Amiga release in 1991, the other in 1993, certainly the title screen looks 256 colours, havent seen any in-game to convince me its much different, but anyway comparing a 2 year newer game isn't the same, so all versions in 1991 are pretty much the same.

Last edited by Amigajay; 07 December 2016 at 16:43.
Old 07 December 2016, 16:56   #30
Total Eclipse

As far as I'm aware, there was only one DOS version produced (already supporting the 2 graphics modes), however it was later included on CD along with Powermonger.

This link has examples of both the Amiga and PC versions, and you can clearly see the extra colour in the PC one. http://www.myabandonware.com/game/po...mpian-gods-1hh
Old 07 December 2016, 17:00   #31
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
As far as I'm aware, there was only one DOS version produced (already supporting the 2 graphics modes), however it was later included on CD along with Powermonger.

This link has examples of both the Amiga and PC versions, and you can clearly see the extra colour in the PC one. http://www.myabandonware.com/game/po...mpian-gods-1hh
No it defo had a floppy disk release in 1991, maybe as in some UK PC titles, they had a floppy disk release here and a couple of years later they re-released or enhanced it for the american market.

This is the original 1991 PC release, note the roman numerals of 1991 under the 'II'

This is the 1993 release
Old 07 December 2016, 17:05   #32
Tsak

@ edd_jedi: for the Theme Park save issue check here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ght=theme+park
Old 14 December 2016, 05:51   #33
Frio

Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon, 256 colors make quite a difference...