English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 20 February 2024, 00:02   #1
turrican9

Terrible Fire 536 and Turrican crash

So I have alot of whdload systems with various accelerators or just fast ram.

Recently I got myself a Terrible Fire 536. I have it installed in one of my A500 ++ replica boards.

I did various research to get it up to speed. MuFastROM, MMULIB and so on. Everything is working nicely so far.

I have one problem I haven't been able to solve yet. I get a crash in Turrican whdload. It always happens in the 1st world lvl B. Once in a while I can finish the level, but for the most part it will crash somewhere in that level. I have tried all kinds of tooltips there is and also tried disabling MuFastRom. In all my other whdload setups I do not get this crash. I have also tried older slaves of Turrican. Same thing will happen. Currently using the latest slave. Btw, this is the only Terrible Fire accelerator I have. And so far other games I've tried seems to run fine. Allthough I've not tried alot of them.

Any clues?

Here is a picture of the error message I get when the game crashes

Old 20 February 2024, 08:47   #2
derSammler

"Illegal Instruction" almost always means you need to use the "NoCache" tooltype.

But as always, also make sure MaxTransfer in HDToolBox is set correctly, as otherwise random data corruption can happen, which can trigger this and pretty much any other possible error message WHDLoad is able to show.
Old 20 February 2024, 15:37   #3
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
"Illegal Instruction" almost always means you need to use the "NoCache" tooltype.

But as always, also make sure MaxTransfer in HDToolBox is set correctly, as otherwise random data corruption can happen, which can trigger this and pretty much any other possible error message WHDLoad is able to show.

Already tried NoCache. And all other tooltips. My max transfer is set correctly.
Old 20 February 2024, 15:45   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Where did you get your WHDload install from?

If necessary download the WHDload install v2.1 from here :

https://whdload.de/games/Turrican.html

And the IPF image(s) from here :

https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turran/FTP/T...[0092].zip

And re-install using WinUAE.
Old 20 February 2024, 16:20   #5
turrican9

I suspect this could be related to the INT6 on the Terrible Fire being triggered. Source from here

Edit: If anyone else has a Terrible Fire 536 I would like them to test Turrican whdload. 1st world, lvl B (The one that starts with the big stonefist). Play through that lvl a few times and see if you can reproduce the crash I'm getting. The same may happen on a Terrible 534, if It's the below mentioned bug.

If you try to run Walker, either WHDload or floppy versions on the TF534/TF536, after a short while, you will encounter the following crash error:

What is happening?

Well, it turns out the Walker game has an interesting bug. Whenever INT6 is triggered, this causes the game to crash as the game does not know how to handle this interrupt.

The 534/536 pokes IPL1/IPL2 lines as part of the logic that makes it possible not to use an external INT2 wire (like was the case for the TF530). This normally does not cause any issues except with this specific game, however in this case, whenever INT6 happens, the game crashes.

Because this cannot be fixed as part of the firmware, the game would need to be patched to deal with INT6. A WHDLoad bug has been reported, which you can follow here.

Last edited by turrican9; 20 February 2024 at 16:36.
Old 20 February 2024, 16:49   #6
derSammler

Could be. Though it would be funny that Walker is given as an example and not Turrican. I mean, Turrican should be one of the very first games most people would play, but not Walker.

Did you try "NoResInt" as well?
Old 20 February 2024, 17:11   #7
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Could be. Though it would be funny that Walker is given as an example and not Turrican. I mean, Turrican should be one of the very first games most people would play, but not Walker.

Did you try "NoResInt" as well?

Did try 'NoResInt'. Loaded to the menu of the game then crashed back to workbench with error message about blitter being enabled or something
Old 20 February 2024, 17:52   #8
turrican9

Forgot to mention I also tried a cracked floppy version of the game. Crash in the same level. I just now tried a HD image provided by the Terrible Fire 536 support page I linked to above. Where it claims everthing is set up correctly for the Terrible Fire 536 to perform as expected. Did it just in case there was something up with my classic workbench setup. Same crash in Turrican with this image.

This clearly looks to me as the INT6 bug and needs to be patched in the game/slave itself. I am shocked if no one has discovered this yet. It's like one of the best games ever for the Amiga. Fair enough, it happens in world 1 second lvl, but I find it very strange if no one has 'discovered' this yet. I don't know about later levels. I played a few more levels with no crash. But this second lvl world 1 crashes probably 8 out of 10 times. Somewhere in that lvl (Random where it happens in that lvl). And again, same thing happened in the floppy version.

Where is the best place to report this to get the game patched? Again, I would like other owners of Terrible Fire 536 to confirm this. Also, I think the same thing should happen on the Terrible Fire 534. It's easy to test with the latest slave of Turrican. You can select lvl from the whdload bootup splash screen.

Last edited by turrican9; 20 February 2024 at 17:59.
Old 20 February 2024, 19:16   #9
Don_Adan

If problem dont occured for other configs, It can be replica A500++ bug, Terrible Fire bug or SMC bug too. You can create CoreDump report and send to mantis.whdload.de
Or show text report from CoreDump here.