English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 26 March 2016, 12:51   #41
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Good plan then. I'll keep the Commodore_Amiga\TOSEC Updates for now but removing everything else in TOSEC. 26GB I'd rather use for . Errr I mean amiga Kickstarts. I mean.. damn
Amazing good job.
Old 27 March 2016, 09:16   #42
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
Thanks. Will get updating my TOSEC sets with these betas. Thanks for bringing the WIP updates back to the server guys its great to get the new dumps before the next TOSEC even gets thought of.

The WIP's by Damien has all messed up titles. Hope yours have a more TOSEC like titles system than that folder does.

Hmm, your folder listed here seems to be 2013 old turkeys that are now in TOSEC rather than the 2016 edition, but on the upside your naming system seems spot on.

Edit: Found your folder in uploads an all lower case version and that does have 2016 but leading to your other folder here was confusing but found the 2016 myself.

My suggestion is for someone to call themselves simply TOSEC with no alias in the uploads folder, add main folders TOSEC updates which are all the update zip files post the last updates zip in the main area so far and TOSEC WIP the ones waiting to be added to it and make folders for all the dates with updates since the main updates folder and make it a multi guys folder where everyone who does any TOSEC updates Damien/Mai/Crashdisk/Neobyte normally under their own name in the past contributes to the updates in a proper merged people folder made for the full TOSEC updates group to use.
Hi TEOL,

Unfortunately no guarantee that all of my dumps will actually make it into TOSEC. As crashdisk and mai have to verify them first. To see if they can be included or not. I am still going through the last lot I dumped recently. I have now dumped more than 1000 disks.

Only around ~240 of these are positives and in TOSEC. I now have to go through and see how different they are compared to the ones currently in the set. If they are DOS Copies or only minor modified disks (unless appearance is different) I usually don't include them.

Keep checking that '/~Uploads/niobyte/NON-TOSEC/' folder. I will make a new post when I have enough in there. These will also be uploaded to 'The Zone'.
Old 27 March 2016, 11:53   #43
TEOL

I'm getting the new supplimental 2016 one now that it's here as a quick fix to patch 2014-2016.

You know those Superted and Smurfs PD's will they get TOSECed one day so they are back into circulation in the undergrounds although they are not on the sites made for them anymore as it was probably those which done those games in anyway because of the names of the websites used to put them out there being sites with the names Smurfs and Superted in them.

In a more underground TOSEC we won't have such problems with those games I don't think as it's not like a TCP case where it's sold.

I don't think TPC stuff would sell anymore though due to the era we are in the 20 10s so it's just a matter of time before the company makes downloads there eventrully free but for the moment TPC are not allowed in TOSEC in the packs uploaded here anyway due to being sold still from what I understand about that situration but with the Superted and Smurfs it isn't the case on those so I feel they should be added so I can give them a pop when I was too late before on the original non underground uploads. lol.

Last edited by TEOL; 27 March 2016 at 12:12.
Old 27 March 2016, 13:14   #44
DamienD
Banned

You guys may have noticed; I asked Turran to slightly change the file structure of TOSEC so that it's organised a little better

a) the directories "TOSEC 2014-10-31" & "TOSEC 2016-01-03" have been moved from "~Uploads/Crashdisk/" --> "Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC Updates" so that all the packs are in one place.

b) the directory "Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC [2016-01-03]/Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2015-12-28_CM)" has now been broken up into:
... #
... A
... B
... C
... D
... E
... etc.

I would say job done now and hope all can enjoy
Old 27 March 2016, 21:24   #45
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Thanks Damien, it needed it. And next, removing all the [a] and [aX], [u], and [o] if a good version exist (it will seriously lighten the whole amiga tosec, which has a lot of shit ADFs for nothing.).
Old 27 March 2016, 21:58   #46
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Thanks Damien, it needed it. And next, removing all the [a] and [aX], [u], and [o] if a good version exist (it will seriously lighten the whole amiga tosec, which has a lot of shit ADFs for nothing.).
Are you kidding?
If not, think about before posting!
Old 01 April 2016, 14:11   #47
TEOL

A means alternatve. If a so called good version ends up being a bad one the A one is the only option.

I remember that happening on that Chuck Rock A1200 Fix that I had to use an alternative A500 disk 2 rather than the sets own.

Luckily it's only the Disk 1 animation that needed an A1200 fix for the game to run in the first place or else A1200 users would have troubles unless they have the RAM for the WHD version.

I think it's safe to say thats why we have those alt versions so they are not crap if they work. If anything on the AGA fixes they have a bigger success rate for running than the original fixed 2nd disks.

It also would take the TOSEC group too long to test all 10000 or so games for a Disk 2 that works with every Disk 1 in the set and their goal is to catalog all the verious dumps as well so every dump of the disk 1 has to be cataloged anyway so to find a Disk 2 and onwards that works perfectly in sync with every dumped set of the disk 1s could take years with a 10000+ disk set although I guess it is possible if you do it yourself to make a set that way to suit your needs Silver but it would even take you years to trim the fat of the non required versions of the Disk 2's and onwards and then theres the fact that some disk 2 sets won't work with some disk 1 cracks anyway so you may have to have multi disk 2s in a trimmed fat TOSEC set as well although 3 and onwards might work with every set.

Last edited by TEOL; 01 April 2016 at 15:13.
Old 01 April 2016, 15:24   #48
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
most (A) are due to saves done in ADF files, or because people moved the files.....
Old 02 April 2016, 14:33   #49
niobyte
AMR / HOL Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
most (A) are due to saves done in ADF files, or because people moved the files.....
It really depends. Some are legitmate alternative releases by a scene group who decided to update something after it was first made available.

I do agree with modified dos copies being an issue though. Especially some TOSEC entries having more than 3 alternatives of the same release from a group that may only be a doscopy, bamcopy or files modified or moved around. ADF Workshop can be pretty good at looking at those.

So you can compare one to the other. I have found doesn't always help, as it can be difficult to determine which is the original. This is when I usually mark it as an 'alternative' being unable to determine where it came from (whoever spread it may have also modified it in some way).

Without the original scene source disk image files (usually DMS or WRP). It's not always easy to determine which one was the original release and if the alternatives are legit or just straight modified copies.

Last edited by niobyte; 02 April 2016 at 14:49.
Old 27 July 2016, 15:58   #50
TEOL

Any chance the latest update could be moved to the main as it was actually sections not in the TOSEC so not viable to be called an update as we currently have no existing versions of the section in the TOSEC folder.

I think it's an update of a much needed major release new section rather than a patch zip which is what updates are which is why I think the better folder is the main TOSEC for the first edition of it as since it's the first edition it's definitely not an update. lol.
Old 27 July 2016, 20:47   #51
DamienD
Banned

What?!? I'm very sorry but can't make heads or tails of your post. It's all over the place...

Again in English please so we can all understand what you are asking?
Old 27 July 2016, 21:13   #52
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Are you kidding?
If not, think about before posting!
Don't shoot me for throwing this out there as it's just an idea I was thinking about when I was working on the ST dats.

Why not make a merged dat?

With WinUAE being far better than any other emulator when it comes to compression support, this idea makes sense for the Amiga files.

For example I have just tried "Merging" all the 1st Division Manager (1992)(Codemasters)[cr NMS] files into 1 7z. The file size is 229 kb as opposed to 3.7 mb for the zips.

Imagine if this was done across all the files, not only would the set look a lot cleaner and easier to use, the difference in file size would be incredible.

It's a lot of work I guess to make a proper merge dat that used the selector in CLRMAME and could scan seperates or merged, but to make one that just groups all the ADFs together would be pretty easy, (merge them all manually then just use dir2dat)
Old 31 October 2016, 00:34   #53
Vollldo

Plenty of non "[a]" ones don't work too, for example the "[a3]" of Parasol Stars is the good one^^.

Old 31 October 2016, 10:24   #54
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vollldo View Post
Plenty of non "[a]" ones don't work too, for example the "[a3]" of Parasol Stars is the good one^^.
Not that much information here, is there an [a3] in current TOSEC?
Anyway, crc32 is essential!
Old 08 November 2016, 12:21   #55
TEOL

Anyone updating it? I've read this bit that interests me on the TOSEC forums that a Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2016-08-27_CM) update now exists but that was 2 months and a bit ago and no Final release or even Beta of the set because only the CD one exists currently as a new update on the actual files of it.

I went onto maiking and no Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2016-08-27_CM) set updates from the previous one there under any username neither.
Old 08 November 2016, 13:02   #56
DamienD
Banned

If either Crashdisk or mai would be kind enough to create a new update pack and then upload it into their ~Uploads folder I'm sure it would be much appreciated by all

I can then move the file to where all others currently are under Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC Updates.
Old 08 November 2016, 17:14   #57
Crashdisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEOL View Post
Anyone updating it? I've read this bit that interests me on the TOSEC forums that a Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2016-08-27_CM) update now exists but that was 2 months and a bit ago and no Final release or even Beta of the set because only the CD one exists currently as a new update on the actual files of it.

I went onto maiking and no Commodore Amiga - Games - [ADF] (TOSEC-v2016-08-27_CM) set updates from the previous one there under any username neither.
This update is for internal use only, so officially it does not exist...you must be patient
Old 30 June 2018, 09:31   #58
DamienD
Banned

Given the .IPF rule change that occurred yesterday:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
It's been years since SPS members are inactive, for me EAB's members can now exchange IPF files if they want, I removed the FAQ entries about those old rules.
These have now been uploaded to the EAB File Server:
/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC [2016-01-03]
... Commodore Amiga - Coverdisks - SPS (TOSEC-v2015-06-27_CM)
... Commodore Amiga - Educational - SPS (TOSEC-v2015-04-23_CM)
... Commodore Amiga - Games - SPS (TOSEC-v2015-06-27_CM)