English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 November 2001, 15:31   #1
sgt_chimp

Post Elite coming to GBA, But will the GBA's target audience like it ?

I read over at gameplay.com last week that there were plans to launch Elite on the GBA, Now iv'e been playing Elite V2.0 on my new (well 2nd hand) Amiga and it beats the hell out of the crappy Elite Plus I was playing on my PC ( more fights, more bounty money, MUCH better GUI and I can actually manually dock on the Amiga).

Back to the point.............

But with it's long (by today's standards) periods of inaction (the trek from station to station) and its slightly technical side (calculating the best buy's based on target planets economy along with its sci-fi jargon). How do you think the GBA's target audience (~5-14) will receive it?

Didnt they scrap Elite on the Megadrive/Genesis and on the old Gameboy , was this for simular reasons?

On the upside the GBA does have a strong following among the 18+ gamers I saw a thread on the most wanted GBA games over at CVG forums and the top was Speedball 2 along with other oldies like Golden Axe.

Old 30 November 2001, 17:25   #2
Amiga1992

I don't know if that is the GBA's target anymore. Nintendo seem to have aimed a bit higher thsi time, you can tell it by its advertising and by teh games lineup. I am surprised Pokémon is not out yet! That says something.

Still, even if the audience was a bit higher (let's say 12~18), I dont know if today's 'gamer's would like a game like Elite. It needs a lot of time, you have to delve into the game, master it, and then enjoy it.

We'll see. I surely would be nabbing a copy
Old 01 December 2001, 00:00   #3
RetroMan

And I´m surely off playing ELITE right now
Old 03 December 2001, 19:22   #4
Amiga1992

On which system?
Old 14 December 2001, 23:49   #5
Djay
95th User

the gba screen is way too dark to play elite, however nintendo plan to release a new version of the handheld, the screen will be made by different manufactor! apparently
Old 15 December 2001, 03:28   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I didn't know Elite was released for Mega-Drive and Gameboy. I do know about the NES version, and the controls are hard to get used, and the game feels much more arcadey than the computer versions. It's also damn fast (that's why it feels so arcade).

I would like to see how they would fit all the complex controls in the GBA pad.
Old 15 December 2001, 03:32   #7
oldpx

I don't think there was a Mega Drive version, I hope someone proves me wrong.

Old 15 December 2001, 13:18   #8
MethodGit

Early demos of Elite did exist for the Mega Drive and Game Boy. I am not sure if actual proper Elite games were released on those two consoles though.

You can find them here:
http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/demos/index.htm
Old 15 December 2001, 13:34   #9
RetroMan

I think such a game would surely make me buy a GBA I´m travelling much cause of my job and what could be kewler, than sitting in the train or some hotel room and kill some Thargoids but anyway, my fav. versio n of this game was/is the Acorn Archimedes Version, place two is going to the Amiga-Version ..... But I have to wait until I get a proper Archimedes to play that game ( I know I could use an emu but the feeling isn´t the same) .....
Old 15 December 2001, 18:11   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Most people says the Archimedes version is the best. As I haven't play it, I'll go for the Miggy version.

Funnily, Ian Bell says his favourite version is the NES one...