English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 December 2018, 21:51   #41
Soopytwist

LOL. Yeah I read somewhere I needed OSEmu.400 so I stuck it in there.

Quick question regarding formatting a DH0:NDOS for the future. I left Fast File System, International Mode and Directory Cache unticked. Mostly because I don't know what they are. Trashcan, now I do know what that is so I only ticked that when formatting my DH0 Workbench/System drive. What are those other options and should I tick 'em?
Old 26 December 2018, 22:04   #42
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopytwist View Post
Mostly because I don't know what they are. Trashcan, now I do know what that is so I only ticked that when formatting my DH0 Workbench/System drive. What are those other options and should I tick 'em?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_Fast_File_System
Old 26 December 2018, 22:19   #43
Soopytwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Alright that answers that, thanks. What about International Mode and Directory Cache, do I need those?
Old 26 December 2018, 22:24   #44
DamienD
Banned

All these new questions etc. and yet you still haven't read the PM that I sent you 5 hours ago... don't know why I bother sometimes, really have to try to be less helpful in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Please also read the PM that I sent you; it has important information contained within that will help
Old 27 December 2018, 08:29   #45
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
What about International Mode and Directory Cache, do I need those?

In the attached Wikipedia link you will also find the functions of International Mode and Directory Cache
Old 27 December 2018, 13:22   #46
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Ok he screwed me english, 1:1 this time we equalize , it is always nice and interesting to discuss count, if I have time I will look for other games that require "OSEmu.400", let's see if I'm lucky
Ciao Damiano, sorry again, i quickly found two WHDLoad titles that require "OSEmu.400" (Guardian_v1.0_CD32 and Populous2_v1.3_0079), also in here "OSEmu.400" it is in the "Data" folder, I do not know if even here some fixes have been made to eliminate "OSEmu.400".

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 28 December 2018 at 14:05.
Old 27 December 2018, 13:51   #47
DamienD
Banned

Good find

I guess that with a few of jotd's old slaves "OSEmu.400" will be needed; but considering this file is inside the "data" folder then there's no need to make sure you have this in the "C" folder (which is the point I was trying to make).
Old 27 December 2018, 14:43   #48
AMIGASYSTEM

If I remember correctly, not everyone has "OSEmu.400" in the folder "Data", for example the games "Trolls CD32", "ClassicPucman", "Quadralien", they have "OSEmu.400" in the primary folder of the game.

Other games that use "OSEmu.400" in the "Data" folder i'm JungleStrike CD32, Elf, DisposableHero, DisposableHero CD32, SuperMethaneBros CD32, BiplaneDuel

To copy"OSEmu.400" in C: which is a system folder costs nothing, maybe it could help for some particular game where the path is not well defined, here on AEB we have good WHDload developers who could advise us better.
Old 27 December 2018, 15:28   #49
Soopytwist

Quote:
All these new questions etc. and yet you still haven't read the PM that I sent you 5 hours ago... don't know why I bother sometimes, really have to try to be less helpful in future.
Sorry Damien, I've replied to your PM and explained why I forgot! Well I did reply, can't actually see it so wondering if it even worked. Let me know!
Old 27 December 2018, 15:32   #50
Soopytwist

Anyone know if there's a zip containing all the Amiga games here? ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/ rather than download games individually I mean. Might be a pretty large zip though!
Old 27 December 2018, 15:43   #51
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Sorry Damien, I've replied to your PM and explained why I forgot! Well I did reply, can't actually see it so wondering if it even worked. Let me know!
Got it

Quote:
Anyone know if there's a zip containing all the Amiga games here? ftp://grandis.nu/Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay/ rather than download games individually I mean. Might be a pretty large zip though!
Unfortunately not as far as I know.

...but, since you have over 50 posts, just do the following:
Old 27 December 2018, 19:14   #52
Soopytwist

Quote:
Got it

Unfortunately not as far as I know.

...but, since you have over 50 posts, just do the following:
Oh, okay. Didn't know I could do that. I've noticed some WHDLoad games have strange audio glitches. Gods for example. I hear metal clanging noises when walking and some sounds don't play. Compared to the same game running from .adf it sounds pretty bad. Is this common?
Old 27 December 2018, 19:25   #53
DamienD
Banned

To be honest; you're asking the wrong person as I'm not really a WHDLoad user...

In my collection currently containing 2643 games, there are only 16 x WHDLoad .HDFs.

These were only added due to major bug fixes over the floppy versions.
Old 27 December 2018, 20:36   #54
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Gods for example. I hear metal clanging noises when walking and some sounds don't play. Compared to the same game running from .adf it sounds pretty bad. Is this common?

There are no differences in sound between the floppy version and WHDLoad, you probably did not use the right audio setting, or the Sound Card is in use on Windows.
Old 28 December 2018, 14:12   #55
Soopytwist

Quote:
There are no differences in sound between the floppy version and WHDLoad, you probably did not use the right audio setting, or the Sound Card is in use on Windows.
If I run an .adf of Gods and then the WHLoad version there are differences in the audio and they're both using the same sound options in WinUAE.

EDIT

You'll have to forgive the crudity of these two videos. I can't use video output in WinUAE it slows the game right down to 1 frame a second. As does using FRAPS, so my only option was to record the game with my iPad at an angle so I could rest the tripod on my desk. Also the volume isn't great so turn it up a bit.

You can clearly tell the differences in audio quality between the two. The WHDLoad version is a mess. Also, not captured here is at the end of a level rather than music it plays a cacophony of random sound effects!

Gods ADF version (A500) - good sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xm7a4pzne...dsADF.MOV?dl=0
Gods WHDLoad (A1200) - bad sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/378derh8oi...sWHDL.MOV?dl=0

Last edited by Soopytwist; 28 December 2018 at 14:48.
Old 28 December 2018, 15:26   #56
AMIGASYSTEM

The audio recording made with Microphone does not allow me to evaluate, what seems strange to me is that the mode uses the same files
Old 28 December 2018, 15:43   #57
Soopytwist

Quote:
The audio recording made with Microphone does not allow me to evaluate, what seems strange to me is that the mode uses the same files
Yeah, the iPad recording isn't great but output and FRAPS wouldn't work.

Anyway I've solved it! Turns out I needed Cycle-exact turning on in the Chipset settings. Not sure why I thought of that - I suppose I exhausted all the audio settings so the only thing left to try was twiddling with the chipset.