English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 20 June 2013, 21:59   #121
blizz1220
Registered User
blizz1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Belgrade / Serbia
Posts: 48
Why does Amiga Amiga 500 has monochrome video via RCA ?

Is it because the signal was already on the motherboard somewhere ?
blizz1220 is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 03:38   #122
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

T_hairy_bootson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 2,033
I would assume the B&W composite was a cost cutting excercise on both the a500 and a2000 since the A1000 had colour.
T_hairy_bootson is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 05:10   #123
Cymru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dorathea/AT
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara View Post
Why was the parallel port of the Amiga 500 and 2000 different from the LPT port (IEEE 1284) in PCs (especially the 5V pin)? Was it used anywhere else or just a random idea of the Amiga/Commodore designers?
As you may recall, the parallel port was re gendered on the Amiga 1000 and had to use a special cable for printers (gendered changed); it was never meant to compete with the PC parallel port as was the serial port. I believe RoyBates is correct as to using it for its full 8-bit data path for more than printing.
Cymru is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 13:40   #124
blizz1220
Registered User
blizz1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Belgrade / Serbia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I would assume the B&W composite was a cost cutting excercise on both the a500 and a2000 since the A1000 had colour.
I figured as much I was actually guessing that maybe the b&w signal
exists somewhere near that area so they decided to let it out to play
for reasons known only to them
blizz1220 is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 13:44   #125
lukassid
Registered User
lukassid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Surrey
Posts: 390
Why when os 3.1 is installing on the hard drive, many important files like Installer are not copied to it?
lukassid is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 13:47   #126
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hämeenlinna/Finland
Age: 44
Posts: 23,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizz1220 View Post
I figured as much I was actually guessing that maybe the b&w signal
exists somewhere near that area so they decided to let it out to play
for reasons known only to them
Video hybrid chip (Chip that converts Denise digital RGB to analog RGB) has b&w video out pin.

Creating b&w video out is simple. Color composite requires extra components (coils, crystal, caps, delay line, etc..) and also PAL/NTSC need different components/values.
Toni Wilen is online now  
Old 21 June 2013, 13:54   #127
blizz1220
Registered User
blizz1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Belgrade / Serbia
Posts: 48
I really didn't expect anyone to know the answer to that
one , thanks Toni
Now where's me screwdriver

EDIT : Yes , now it makes perfect sense , it would be
actually cheap and useful solution if you will use software
that only requires monochrome monitor ...

Last edited by blizz1220; 21 June 2013 at 14:10.
blizz1220 is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 16:38   #128
Cymru
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dorathea/AT
Posts: 371
I've always felt (and used) the composite (BW) output was designed for diagnostic work as a quick picture on any old monitor.
Cymru is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 20:11   #129
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fyn / Denmark
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
Q:
Is there such a thing as "bit level access" on an Amiga disk?
or am I making that up?
No.. the smallest size you can read/write at a time is 16 bits, iirc (presuming we're talking floppy)..
hooverphonique is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 20:43   #130
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 39
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
No.. the smallest size you can read/write at a time is 16 bits, iirc (presuming we're talking floppy)..
I thought you had to write an entire track? So it is possible to sync to the existing track accurately enough?
demolition is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 20:50   #131
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fyn / Denmark
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I thought you had to write an entire track? So it is possible to sync to the existing track accurately enough?
hehe.. probably not, but in theory, you can ask the controller to write one word, right!?
hooverphonique is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 21:00   #132
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Berlin/Joymoney
Posts: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
No.. the smallest size you can read/write at a time is 16 bits, iirc (presuming we're talking floppy)..
The smallest size you can read is 8 bit, DSKBYTR makes it possible.

Last edited by prowler; 21 June 2013 at 22:09. Reason: Fixed link.
StingRay is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 21:52   #133
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 39
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The smallest size you can read is 8 bit, DSKBYTR makes it possible.
But I guess you have no way of knowing which part of the track you have read?

Last edited by demolition; 21 June 2013 at 22:32. Reason: prowler was making me a liar, so I removed the link correction :)
demolition is offline  
Old 21 June 2013, 22:12   #134
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fyn / Denmark
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The smallest size you can read is 8 bit, DSKBYTR makes it possible.
right.. been many years since I played with this stuff, so I just assumed it would be word-sized like many other data registers usually used to hold data for DMA
hooverphonique is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 00:18   #135
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer
Lonewolf10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: near Cambridge, UK
Age: 40
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
BFE101 is the parallel port.

Fire/left button on the first game port is bit 6 of BFE001.
Fire/left button on the second game port is bit 7 of BFE001.
Bit 6 is for left mouse button, so bit 7 is for right mouse button?

Do any amiga's support the middle button, or wheel, or were they added on mice long after Amiga's were created?

Which leads on to my next question (which I don't believe has been asked yet). When referring to more than one mouse (the electrical kind) do you say mouses or mice?
Lonewolf10 is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 00:58   #136
blizz1220
Registered User
blizz1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Belgrade / Serbia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Bit 6 is for left mouse button, so bit 7 is for right mouse button?

Do any amiga's support the middle button, or wheel, or were they added on mice long after Amiga's were created?
You can use PC serial port 3btn mouse and WheelMouse.Woks nice but
only in Apps and Workbench.Few games work with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Which leads on to my next question (which I don't believe has been asked yet). When referring to more than one mouse (the electrical kind) do you say mouses or mice?
Mices
blizz1220 is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 03:40   #137
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 39
Posts: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Bit 6 is for left mouse button, so bit 7 is for right mouse button?

Do any amiga's support the middle button, or wheel, or were they added on mice long after Amiga's were created?
Both bits 6 and 7 are for the left button, just different ports. Right mouse button is not so easy to read since it is connected to the POT inputs. After some configuration, the RMB can be read off address $DFF016.
Since there are two POT pins on each port, it can also support the middle button, however it wasn't standard and you need special software make it work.

I've never seen anyone using PC serial mice on an Amiga, how does that work? On the serial port? Because it definately won't work on the mouse port except using some active adapter, and that would be silly since serial mice are so horrible to begin with. An Amiga deserves a mouse with at least 50 Hz reporting rate.
demolition is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 04:02   #138
blizz1220
Registered User
blizz1220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Belgrade / Serbia
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post

I've never seen anyone using PC serial mice on an Amiga, how does that work? On the serial port? Because it definately won't work on the mouse port except using some active adapter, and that would be silly since serial mice are so horrible to begin with. An Amiga deserves a mouse with at least 50 Hz reporting rate.
You need this http://aminet.net/package/driver/input/SerMouse221

And this (attached)

You can use them both at the same time no problem
I never found one that was optical or had a wheel
And if it can't play Cannon Fodder blah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	35689  
blizz1220 is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 07:07   #139
OddbOd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Age: 42
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Which leads on to my next question (which I don't believe has been asked yet). When referring to more than one mouse (the electrical kind) do you say mouses or mice?
According to the Oxford, American Heritage and Merriam-Webster dictionaries either form is acceptable though mice is by far the more common of the two.

Would you believe that mouse is an acronym for Manually Operated User Selection Encoder? It's a truth fact according to Doug Engelbart-Simpson. This weak attempt at humor brought to you by the colour black, the number i and the fact that I only slept for 2 hours yesterday
OddbOd is offline  
Old 22 June 2013, 10:31   #140
thomas
Registered User
thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf10 View Post
Bit 6 is for left mouse button, so bit 7 is for right mouse button?
No, it's like I said: bit 6 is for the (left) button of the first game port (usually referred to as "mouse port") and bit 7 is for the (left) button of the second game port (usually referred to as "joystick port").

Both ports are equal. If you connect a mouse to it, the bit is for the left mouse button. If you connect a joystick to it, the bit is for the (first or only) fire button. They use the same lines on the cable.

The right mouse button is not connected to the CIA.



Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
it can also support the middle button, however it wasn't standard and you need special software make it work.
The middle button is supported by the OS in the same standard way as other input. You just need some software which reacts on middle mouse presses.

I think AWeb uses the middle mouse button to open the context menu for links.
thomas is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gamebase Amiga - 2 Questions Fiery Phoenix New to Emulation or Amiga scene 8 13 August 2012 13:31
Amiga CD32 questions pubzombie New to Emulation or Amiga scene 26 24 January 2010 17:27
A few general Amiga questions. Hougham support.Hardware 6 30 April 2008 23:13
Amiga A4000 Questions mfletcher support.Hardware 8 29 April 2008 11:51
Amiga 600 Questions JDunlap support.Hardware 14 20 January 2008 20:13

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.12240 seconds with 14 queries