English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 June 2011, 03:09   #1
hawker

How to get out of Amiga dos?

Installed an IDE hard disk & CD drive since my SCSI controller croaked. Want to instal workbench 3.0 but it always comes up with an Amiga DOS screen when i reboot, instead of the Workbench screen. How do i get out of it so i can format the HDD & instal the OS? This is on an Amiga 4000/040
Complete noob, as you can tell
Thanks
Old 15 June 2011, 03:20   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Are you booting from the Installer 3.0 disk?

It should certainly boot into Workbench, but maybe the startup-sequence has been deleted, renamed or edited.

At the CLI, enter 'dir' to make sure it's got some files on it and then enter 'loadwb' (without the quotes of course).

If that doesn't bring up the Workbench, you're going to need a replacement disk.
Old 15 June 2011, 04:42   #3
hawker

Nop, doesn't boot into workbench, only Amiga DOS but was able to get into it by using LOADWB. Is there a jumper i need to set for it to recognize the IDE HD drive as it will not see it to format it? Is there a limitation to the size of HD i can put in there? Right now i have a 260gig one in there.
Old 15 June 2011, 08:41   #4
Hewitson

Make sure you've got HDToolBox tooltype set to the appropriate device.
Old 15 June 2011, 09:54   #5
hawker

Hi Hewitson, The IDE HD doesn't show up when i try to partition or format it so don't know what else to do.
I might have a chance to buy a SCSI controller board but not sure if it's worth it to blow $100 including shipping on that system.
If i could access the 2 SCSI drives then i know i could get the system up & running cause everything was installed but the SCSI controller croaked, so don't get anything on the screen with it installed. Hopefully some one will come up with a solution by next Tuesday, if not i am considering adding that machine for garbage collection. I still have a head full of hair & i would like to keep it. I like a challenge but this thing is driving me nuts. Don't know why when i start it up it keeps booting into an Amiga Dos screen instead of the Workbench screen with the instal disk.
When i try to instal WB 3.0 through DOS it comes up asking for a disk called ENV. Checked through all the stuff i got but don't have it & don't ever remember a disk called that.
Just wondering if i got a newer WB it would over ride whatever is making it boot into the DOS screen? Wish there was some books that came with it like the A500 i also have.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:01   #6
Jope
-

assign env: ram:

Your install disk is broken. Also sounds like either the hard disk or the IDE controller chips on the motherboard are broken too.
Old 15 June 2011, 12:02   #7
thomas

@hawker:

If you don't have a backup of your Install disk, you need to get a new one.

Once you've restored the backup or got a new one

- ENABLE AND NEVER AGAIN REMOVE THE WRITE PROTECTION FROM YOUR FLOPPY DISKS!!
- do not run the installer in Novice mode!

In some cirumstances the installer tries to install to the Install floppy disk. If it is write enabled it will be destroyed as in your case. If you run the installer in Advanced or Expert mode, it will ask you where to install.
Old 15 June 2011, 18:15   #8
hawker

I'll check to see if there is a backup of the install disk, if not then i will have to try & get one. I have about 200 floppies but i think most of them are for the A500. Must be someone out there with an instal disk they aren't using any more & would sell it?
Right now the Kickstart rom is 3, if i get a newer workbench do i need to upgrade the kickstart also?
Old 15 June 2011, 21:19   #9
thomas

You can run WB 3.1 with ROM 3.0. For OS 3.5 or 3.9 you need Kickstart 3.1. There is no higher Kickstart than 3.1.
Old 15 June 2011, 22:48   #10
roy bates

if you can get into hdtoolbox see if the partition dh0: is ticked for being bootable.
only asking because you managed to load workbench from cli.
type in loadwb the go into hdtoolbox then check the first partition there should be a box that says "bootable"and check that box hope this helps cant be more specific

Last edited by roy bates; 15 June 2011 at 23:00.
Old 15 June 2011, 23:06   #11
hawker

Ordered an Install 3.1 disk from Amikit today, hopefully that will solve my problem & i'll keep the 4000 around. If that works then will look for a SCSI controller next. Don't think my IDE controller is hooped. If i hook the cable up wrong or put both the HD & CD drive on master then i just get a blank screen. If it was hooped i don't think it would have affected the boot up screen.

@ roy bates: I can get into the hdtoolbox & some other drawers but nothing in them. As was mentioned, the floppy disk was probably over written as the write tab was closed on it so it's just picking up what was written to the floppy on an attempted install, i think.
Old 16 June 2011, 00:58   #12
roy bates

sorry i thought you did this from harddrive oh by the way the harddrive should be master and the cd slave good look
Old 17 June 2011, 11:41   #13
fgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson
Make sure you've got HDToolBox tooltype set to the appropriate device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker
Hi Hewitson, The IDE HD doesn't show up when i try to partition or format it so don't know what else to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker
I can get into the hdtoolbox & some other drawers but nothing in them
Hi Hawker,

Just to make it clear: If this IDE drive has not been used on an amiga before, you need to partition it in the program hdtoolbox from the install disk for the OS to see it. If hdtoolbox is missing, you're out of luck with that install disk.

Hdtoolbox only targets one disk controller at a time. If you find hdtoolbox somewhere (previous workbench versions might also work), it might not even search for ide disks, as the machine used scsi drives before. This is controlled by a 'tooltype' in the hdtoolbox icon file pointing to the controller driver. To check, select the hdtoolbox icon and select Icons -> Information in the workbench menu. Here you will see the tooltypes. SCSI_DEVICE_NAME needs to be scsi.device (believe it or not) for the a4000 IDE controller.

Another options you could try out while waiting for the install disk from amigakit is to install WinUAE (amiga emulator) on a PC, and setup the hard drive from there using workbench floppy images (.adf files).
It's not very straight forward either, but it is possible.

Whatever you do, don't throw away the machine as garbage. You'll probably find a US buyer at amibay.com.
Old 17 June 2011, 18:38   #14
hawker

Now that i know what is wrong & was able to get a new Install disk i will be keeping the machine. I was just getting very frusterated at the beginning but finding more help from ppl on here & by reading old posts & using google since i have no books for the Amiga.
I think patience is the operative word here.
Dug out the A500 last night & was surprised it still worked so been playing with it to maybe help me figure out the A4000 but it seems to be a bit of a different bird.
Old 18 June 2011, 13:50   #15
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
Now that i know what is wrong & was able to get a new Install disk i will be keeping the machine. I was just getting very frusterated at the beginning but finding more help from ppl on here & by reading old posts & using google since i have no books for the Amiga.
I think patience is the operative word here.
Dug out the A500 last night & was surprised it still worked so been playing with it to maybe help me figure out the A4000 but it seems to be a bit of a different bird.

all the best with your amiga its a great machine and theres allot of nice peaple here.