English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 03 July 2011, 18:46   #901
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

You know, I like Sex and the City. Its a funny tv series and the first movie wasn't that bad. Good for a laugh.
I tend to term the name of that show "Sluts and the City"

Yuppie women with nothing better to do than open their legs and cry about how screwed up their lives are.
Old 04 July 2011, 00:21   #902
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Had the displeasure of seeing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows p1.

Yeah a real displeasure: how they gutted that movie! Take the book, remove all the funny bits and I do mean ALL the funny bits, and sell what is left over. Horrible, truly horrible film. I don't get it too; they split the book into two movies and STILL they rape it?
Old 04 July 2011, 22:22   #903
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Well i've just signed up to Lovefilm.com (unlimited movie rentals by post and movie streaming through my PC and PS3 )... I'm going to rent the classic Dune movies and then watch the feature length episodes (i never knew they even existed!). There's soo much to choose from!
Old 05 July 2011, 01:31   #904
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Well i've just signed up to Lovefilm.com (unlimited movie rentals by post and movie streaming through my PC and PS3 )... I'm going to rent the classic Dune movies and then watch the feature length episodes (i never knew they even existed!). There's soo much to choose from!
The TV movies are fantastic, they tell the story more accurately and with more depth. The Lynch film is more of a visual treat.

What other Dune movies were there? I only remember Lynch's film and the Sci-Fi channel shows.

Last edited by skateblind; 05 July 2011 at 17:37.
Old 05 July 2011, 11:10   #905
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Well i've just signed up to Lovefilm.com (unlimited movie rentals by post and movie streaming through my PC and PS3 )... I'm going to rent the classic Dune movies
There is only one right?

Quote:
and then watch the feature length episodes (i never knew they even existed!). There's soo much to choose from!
The first miniseries is alright; a bit cheaply made but certainly a decent effort. The second one is actually very good and sticks quite close to the story, although the "golden path" is not really well explained. This is not really a terrible thing as even in the books it only really becomes clear in the fourth book, of which there is no movie (and probably never will be).
Old 05 July 2011, 17:40   #906
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
There is only one right?

The first miniseries is alright; a bit cheaply made but certainly a decent effort. The second one is actually very good and sticks quite close to the story, although the "golden path" is not really well explained. This is not really a terrible thing as even in the books it only really becomes clear in the fourth book, of which there is no movie (and probably never will be).
The fourth book as a film would be amazing, but very difficult to achieve without the whole film being made using cheap CGI. I would still buy it though.
Old 05 July 2011, 19:01   #907
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
The fourth book as a film would be amazing, but very difficult to achieve without the whole film being made using cheap CGI. I would still buy it though.
The trouble is that the further into the series you get, the less it becomes adaptable for the screen. This is epic story telling through dialog from a perspective of "How would the human race develop if these exact events would occur spanning a few thousand years".

Even if you would adapt Dune to a TV series of 6 seasons with about 20 episodes of 50 minutes each, you would probably still lose your entire fan base halfway through it because of the humongous shift in not only the story line but also the whole concept of it all.

It just cannot be done IMO!
Old 05 July 2011, 19:46   #908
skateblind
Village Idiot

I think you hit the nail on the head really. I still have book 5 sitting on my bookshelf simply because I don't have the same interest and excitement I had with the first 4 books, although the 4th was a slight struggle too. Everything changes and it just isn't the story I originally loved.
Old 05 July 2011, 21:36   #909
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Actually the fifth book is amazing
Old 06 July 2011, 00:55   #910
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Actually the fifth book is amazing

Nearly finished the Foundation trilogy, so that will have to be next then. You better not be lying!

Sorry about the OT stuff everyone.
Old 06 July 2011, 10:49   #911
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This is still MY thread and it is FINE!

Two celebrations coming up actually; 40000 views and 3 year lifespan! And that for an OT thread!
Old 07 July 2011, 01:17   #912
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Just watched 'Sword of the Stranger' anime movie... Pretty decent but probably won't be to everyone's liking as the story seems a bit 'scatty'. I'm now going to watch 'Machine Girl' (I think it's from the makers of Tokyo Gore Police which should make it interesting ).

The Dune feature length episodes were pretty good

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 07 July 2011 at 13:43.
Old 07 July 2011, 18:24   #913
skateblind
Village Idiot

I watched Green Lantern last night. I am not sure what all the fuss is about, I liked it.
Old 08 July 2011, 11:07   #914
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Seriously, why. WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

A remake of the wonderful Total Recall... with Colin Farrell????

I think I may cry.
Old 08 July 2011, 14:01   #915
Sensi
Unregistered User

Remakes of movies I saw as a kid. I am old
Old 08 July 2011, 17:23   #916
skateblind
Village Idiot

I am all for remakes, since the originals will always exist. They can ruin it for all I care, but I of course I would prefer to see one that surpasses the original.

It is funny when you think that Arnie probably did a better job than we think Farrell do.
Old 11 July 2011, 14:01   #917
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Solomon Kane.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/

It starts as a fine movie, but as it progresses it becomes more and more dire, with an ending that seems incredibly rushed and is simply not satisfying. If only 30 more minutes was given so a more fleshed out story line could have been possible then this movie could have been great, but now it is just mediocre at best.
Old 17 July 2011, 01:43   #918
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Two more movies.

1) Tekken
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411951/

Actually quite enjoyable for a game adaptation, although quite weak in the acting. A lot better than Mortal Kombat, that's for sure!

2) American Gangster
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765429/

Absolutely magnificent movie! A rare kind of movie that tells a story the way movies used to tell a story; by actually showing it and letting you experience it. The acting is top notch too. Be warned though, this is a long sitting
Old 17 July 2011, 05:10   #919
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
A lot better than Mortal Kombat, that's for sure!
I will have to hunt you down and kill you for that.

You cannot make a hollywood movie out of MK. It is too unreal and the story was created for gaming purposes, which makes it tough to adapt properly. The reason I like the 2 MK movies is because they are B-movies. The bad acting causes the characters to feel flat in a sense, which helps with the idea that they have these impossible abilities and weird storylines/backstories.

How do you get an actor to relate to something in MK? Even the best would find it a challenge.

Don't let me see any more crap like that from you again!
Old 17 July 2011, 10:32   #920
gilgamesh
Linux snob

MK? Epic!
[ Show youtube player ]